The U.S. airstrikes a vehicle-borne IED in Kabul that posed a threat to the airport
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 06:24:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The U.S. airstrikes a vehicle-borne IED in Kabul that posed a threat to the airport
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The U.S. airstrikes a vehicle-borne IED in Kabul that posed a threat to the airport  (Read 2361 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2021, 05:19:12 PM »

Not sure why we aren't talking more about this. Almost as if people don't want to give Biden his due when they're making good decisions.

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 05:20:28 PM »

The MSM settled on their narrative already.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 05:31:00 PM »

The MSM settled on their narrative already.

Yep. Still going with the "embarrassing humiliating defeat" narrative despite the fact that we now have gotten 120,000+ out, nearly all Americans, and even thwarted a possible attack.

The rest of the evac could be literally perfect but they'll still base it off the first day.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 05:57:39 PM »

Yes--- why aren't we talking about this more?Huh?

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 06:01:20 PM »

What kind of tweet is this?  Do we think suicide bombers all have "suicide bomber" as their occupation?  Oh, he was a "student", so I'm supposed to care?  Most people under the age of 22 are students.  And that's who gets targeted for these kinds of operations, because they're young and malleable and it's easy to talk them into doing stupid things like blowing themselves up for Allah.

Sorry we couldn't get these 5 guys away from their children.  They certainly didn't bother to wait until the 13 U.S. troops they were targeting were away from the 169 Afghan civilians they also killed with their suicide bombing.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 06:26:12 PM »

What kind of tweet is this?  Do we think suicide bombers all have "suicide bomber" as their occupation?  Oh, he was a "student", so I'm supposed to care?  Most people under the age of 22 are students.  And that's who gets targeted for these kinds of operations, because they're young and malleable and it's easy to talk them into doing stupid things like blowing themselves up for Allah.
Farzad and Faisal, the children who you are (baselessly) claiming to have been suicide bombers, were 9 and 10 years old, respectively. Not teenagers or college students.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 07:44:57 PM »

US Military is now admitting that civilian casualties occurred:

Wall Street Journal (Which I just bought a sub from today confirming at least five confirmed civilians dead:

A senior Afghan health official, who also worked with the U.S.-backed government, said the Sunday strike killed five civilians and hit a house. Pictures purportedly from the scene showed a bombed-out car inside a compound. The Italian-run Emergency Hospital in central Kabul said it had received one patient injured in the drone strike.

The Pentagon said it was assessing the possibility of civilian casualties, but had no such indications.

“Significant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material,” Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for the U.S. Central Command said of the Sunday strike. Habibi Samangani, a senior Taliban official in Kabul, confirmed that a vehicle carrying explosives had been hit.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/afghanistan-evacuation-flights-end-as-reopened-banks-face-rush-for-cash-11630243499
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 08:30:12 PM »

Sorry we couldn't get these 5 guys away from their children.  They certainly didn't bother to wait until the 13 U.S. troops they were targeting were away from the 169 Afghan civilians they also killed with their suicide bombing.

Jesus. You sound like a talk radio host.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 08:51:02 PM »

Atlas Dems play What's That War Crime?!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 09:06:45 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2021, 09:27:23 PM by MT Treasurer »

Particularly heinous and extremely foreseeable war crime involving a 'response' in the form of further abonimable extinction of human life. Won’t do anything to end the unfathomably embarrassing 'they’re all backward fanatics who hate us because of our freedoms' talking points, it’s just very sad (as is the fact that, for the umpteenth time, no one will be held accountable for it).
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 09:07:36 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2021, 03:05:01 PM by NOVA Green »

I do not want to jump into a "dog pile" type scene and am 100% against assaults against US & Allied Forces protecting the airport against an horrific HBIED (Suicide bomber from ISKP from Logar Province Afghanistan) that caused the scenes which we saw at the airport released thus far.

It does appear clear that the rapid exchange of gunfire and crossfire from multiple directions might well have enhanced the civilian death count.

The US hit an ISKP target in Jalalabad the other day, which appeared like a legit target with no real civilian casualties (Except for possibly one civilian who lived right nearby and expected to recover.

This incident however appears to be a bit more of a clusterf**k, and simply maybe somebody in command and control said "strike" (or whatever the codeword is) and it was a bit too late, before the civvies and kids could be out of the strike zone....

IDK: Bottom line this is not a good thing at all for the street cred and rep of the US within the region.

Legit targets and kids die, assuming US wasn't fed bad intel, will not play well at all.

Believe I had posted a week or so back something to the effect as: "what happens when the first US drones hit a wedding party?", or something to that effect.

It's happened folx.... don't care if it was Clinton, Bush Jr., Obama, Trump, or Biden.

Global press doesn't look good at all, while meanwhile nobody on Atlas wants to really address the subject (because of muh politics and partisan spin), but at the same time nobody wants to address the reality that the event happened and we now have the first civilian deaths in Afghanistan caused by American drone strikes in quite some time.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 09:33:24 PM »

New York Times now picking up the story...

Not going to even bother wasting my time quoting and you all can the pay the money or not on your own to read the story, since apparently ideocracy is alive and well on the USGD Board....

Over and out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/29/world/asia/us-drone-strike-evacuation.html
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 09:38:09 PM »

I suppose what we should've done is send an entire SEAL team into the depths of Kabul to assassinate just the (suspected) terrorists and make sure the kids weren't harmed.  I'm sure that would've gone swimmingly.

I'm sure if a marine was injured or killed in the operation, Biden wouldn't have received any criticism at all for needlessly putting the lives of our servicemembers at risk, because people would understand he did it to try and spare civilian lives.

I'm sure if the terrorists had escaped, a manual operation being much more high-risk than a drone strike after all, and then gone on to pull off another attack and killed 200 people, and then it leaked out that Biden could've just droned them but didn't because he wanted to spare a few civilian lives, everyone would say "well he made the right choice, sorry to those 200 people who died."

This is war.  In war you have to make tough choices.  Often those choices involve civilian casualties.  Sometimes you have to make a choice between a 100% chance of 4 civilian deaths and a 30% chance of 200 civilian deaths.  It ain't easy, but that's why being POTUS is the hardest job in the world.  It sucks that there are terrible people in this world who constantly force the good guys to have to make decisions like this.  If these terrorist dudes weren't dedicated to killing large numbers of civilians and U.S. servicemembers, we wouldn't be having to do things like this.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 09:39:51 PM »

Quote from: NYTimes
A senior U.S. military official responded that the military was confident that no civilians had been in the targeted vehicle but acknowledged that the detonation of the explosives in it could have caused “collateral damage.”

Oh, we didn't even kill the toddlers ourselves?  They died because daddy filled a truck up with explosives, and when America blew up the truck, the explosives in daddy's truck blew up the house as well?

Gee I wonder who the bad guys are in this story?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 02:32:50 AM »

That's terrible about the innocent casualties. Really hope we did get someone who was going to kill a lot more people.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2021, 05:16:56 AM »

i'm not trying to appear heartless, because any death that didn't need to happen is of course tragic. But at the same time, I feel like people are seriously being naive here. We are still in a war. When you're trying to attack your enemy, in a place like Afghanistan, which people seem to keep forgetting, there is always the chance of collateral damage.

Yes, it's horrific and tragic. But, people are really thinking we're in a situation with our enemy here where there's going to be 0 deaths? That's just completely unrealistic. People are really acting shocked at this, while simultaneously not giving a damn about the thousands who have died in the last 20 years, but now suddenly caring too.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2021, 06:24:46 AM »

Not sure why we aren't talking more about this. Almost as if people don't want to give Biden his due when they're making good decisions.

9 innocent people, possibly more, died as a result.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 06:32:48 AM »

And where were you when the other innocent people died the last 20 years? People are now using this to further their own agenda.

Yes, it's terrible that 9 people died. Of course it is. But we are literally ENDING A WAR right now. Do people really think there would be 0 casualties when you're ending a 20-year war? The cognitive dissonance here is astounding.

This is the same thing with the evac since the beginning. People have these rose colored glasses on where apparently this entire process was supposed to go off without a hitch and be perfectly dandy with no problem. I don't know what reality people are living in with that notion.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2021, 06:34:57 AM »

And where were you when the other innocent people died the last 20 years? People are now using this to further their own agenda.

Yes, it's terrible that 9 people died. Of course it is. But we are literally ENDING A WAR right now. Do people really think there would be 0 casualties when you're ending a 20-year war? The cognitive dissonance here is astounding.

This is the same thing with the evac since the beginning. People have these rose colored glasses on where apparently this entire process was supposed to go off without a hitch and be perfectly dandy with no problem. I don't know what reality people are living in with that notion.
The difference is that we don't use those strikes as a political points or "dues" like you implied.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2021, 06:40:35 AM »

The difference is that we don't use those strikes as a political points or "dues" like you implied.

My point was that there is a narrative that has taken hold since the beginning, and even when the administration takes actions that are necessary and that most would agree with, there is no recognition of it. Because they want to keep the narrative going that the entire thing was a 'humiliating disaster' even when there are actions that are taken that actually were based off of good intel and kept even MORE people from dying.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2021, 06:45:34 AM »

My point was that there is a narrative that has taken hold since the beginning, and even when the administration takes actions that are necessary and that most would agree with, there is no recognition of it. Because they want to keep the narrative going that the entire thing was a 'humiliating disaster' even when there are actions that are taken that actually were based off of good intel and kept even MORE people from dying.
And my point is that actions during war time such as drone strikes shouldn't be credited at all. And if the administration had done the evacuations gradually, instead of rushing 100,000 people in such a short period, there wouldn't be a need for this air strike in the first place.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2021, 07:18:57 AM »

I suppose what we should've done is send an entire SEAL team into the depths of Kabul to assassinate just the (suspected) terrorists and make sure the kids weren't harmed.  I'm sure that would've gone swimmingly.

I'm sure if a marine was injured or killed in the operation, Biden wouldn't have received any criticism at all for needlessly putting the lives of our servicemembers at risk, because people would understand he did it to try and spare civilian lives.

I'm sure if the terrorists had escaped, a manual operation being much more high-risk than a drone strike after all, and then gone on to pull off another attack and killed 200 people, and then it leaked out that Biden could've just droned them but didn't because he wanted to spare a few civilian lives, everyone would say "well he made the right choice, sorry to those 200 people who died."

This is war.  In war you have to make tough choices.  Often those choices involve civilian casualties.  Sometimes you have to make a choice between a 100% chance of 4 civilian deaths and a 30% chance of 200 civilian deaths.  It ain't easy, but that's why being POTUS is the hardest job in the world.  It sucks that there are terrible people in this world who constantly force the good guys to have to make decisions like this.  If these terrorist dudes weren't dedicated to killing large numbers of civilians and U.S. servicemembers, we wouldn't be having to do things like this.
I agree. But if this administration hadn't been rushing the evacuation during it's later stages, but rather done it gradually earlier this year, this all could have been avoided.

Not to mention tons of equipment, helicopters, guns, etc, left to the Taliban.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2021, 07:36:18 AM »

I suppose what we should've done is send an entire SEAL team into the depths of Kabul to assassinate just the (suspected) terrorists and make sure the kids weren't harmed.  I'm sure that would've gone swimmingly.

This is war.  In war you have to make tough choices.  Often those choices involve civilian casualties.  Sometimes you have to make a choice between a 100% chance of 4 civilian deaths and a 30% chance of 200 civilian deaths.  It ain't easy, but that's why being POTUS is the hardest job in the world.  It sucks that there are terrible people in this world who constantly force the good guys to have to make decisions like this.  If these terrorist dudes weren't dedicated to killing large numbers of civilians and U.S. servicemembers, we wouldn't be having to do things like this.
I agree. But if this administration hadn't been rushing the evacuation during it's later stages, but rather done it gradually earlier this year, this all could have been avoided.

They should have consulted you, a military and foreign affairs expert, before doing anything.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2021, 07:47:37 AM »

They should have consulted you, a military and foreign affairs expert, before doing anything.
Tons of armchair general/foreign policy experts red avatars showcased their expertise during Trump's years, when it came to Iran/NK/Russia/China.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2021, 08:19:13 AM »

Has it been established that the adults were innocent?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies