Importance of nominees in safe races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:17:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Importance of nominees in safe races
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Importance of nominees in safe races  (Read 211 times)
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2021, 11:29:26 AM »

I'm thinking about something like the CA gov race for republicans or Utah gov race for democrats.

I've heard the argument made, and am partial to, that more electable nominees help downballot candidates. So, if faulconer is at the top of the ticket it's easier for republicans to flip a competitive state senate seat. Is there much, if any, evidence for this?

I'm not necessarily suggesting that these more "electable" candidates have a good shot at winning these races, more so that you might want electable candidates for the highest profile race to help build the party up down ballot.

Thoughts?
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 01:24:28 PM »

I’m not sure strong nominees at the top have a huge impact on downballot races. The only exception to this I can think of may be Nevada 2014. In 2018, the Democrat nominees in Maryland and Massachusetts were disasters but Democrats still gained ground in the legislature and county-level races.
Rjjr77
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 07:55:50 PM »

I'm thinking about something like the CA gov race for republicans or Utah gov race for democrats.

I've heard the argument made, and am partial to, that more electable nominees help downballot candidates. So, if faulconer is at the top of the ticket it's easier for republicans to flip a competitive state senate seat. Is there much, if any, evidence for this?

I'm not necessarily suggesting that these more "electable" candidates have a good shot at winning these races, more so that you might want electable candidates for the highest profile race to help build the party up down ballot.

Thoughts?

It depends on WHERE the races you are trying to flip are, and what they are. Often time for contentious lower races its better to have someone that excites your base. Like california? it probably doesnt matter, but in a more polarizing state it does
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies