George Soros: "I quit"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:21:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  George Soros: "I quit"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: George Soros: "I quit"  (Read 2648 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2006, 09:53:08 AM »

"ANTI-W. $OROS: I QUIT POLITICS"

Billionaire liberal financier George Soros, who spent millions of his fortune trying to oust President Bush in 2004, yesterday said he hopes to stay out of politics from now on.

"In the future, I'd very much like to get disengaged from politics," Soros said at a Council on Foreign Relations meeting on the Upper East Side. "I'm interested in policy and not in politics."

-----

Hopefully this will be a lesson for anyone else who wants to BUY an election.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 10:48:10 AM »

Oh I don't know, it seems to have been working pretty well for the mega-rich Republican financiers so far.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 12:56:54 PM »

Oh I don't know, it seems to have been working pretty well for the mega-rich Republican financiers so far.

I'm still waiting for the candidate to come forward and announce he will only accept funding from the individual contributor up to the maximum level they can donate (which is what, $2000 or something?).  I wonder how well that would play out during an election if they shunned all corporate, special interest, and any other large third-party donations from their campaigns.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:42:48 AM »

"ANTI-W. $OROS: I QUIT POLITICS"

Billionaire liberal financier George Soros, who spent millions of his fortune trying to oust President Bush in 2004, yesterday said he hopes to stay out of politics from now on.

"In the future, I'd very much like to get disengaged from politics," Soros said at a Council on Foreign Relations meeting on the Upper East Side. "I'm interested in policy and not in politics."

-----

What's the lesson to be learned? That you shouldn't try to pour massive amounts of money into political campaigns because you'll just end up not succeeding anyway, then quitting politics and perhaps suffereing a blow to your self-esteem as a result? Smiley

I understand what you are saying, but the point being he quit voluntarily.

In any event, I'm opposed to all wealthy folks putting undue influence on the election process regardless of their political affiliations, but I think that's something that's happened far more often from the right (directly and indirectly) than from the left.

In the long run the solution is publically funded campaigns and free air time for candidates. Let the election truly be a battle of ideas and not one of wealthy special interests.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 12:19:40 PM »

I'm still waiting for the candidate to come forward and announce he will only accept funding from the individual contributor up to the maximum level they can donate (which is what, $2000 or something?).  I wonder how well that would play out during an election if they shunned all corporate, special interest, and any other large third-party donations from their campaigns.

Probably not very well, really.  I mean, how likely would you be to swing your vote just based on that?  It's probably more effort than the end results would justify.  After all, it would entirely frame the campaign, but people would get sick of hearing about it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 12:42:52 PM »

Probably not very well, really.  I mean, how likely would you be to swing your vote just based on that?  It's probably more effort than the end results would justify.  After all, it would entirely frame the campaign, but people would get sick of hearing about it.

One could always hope.  Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 09:42:03 PM »

The problem is in reaching a large audience, especially an audience that knows little about the person.

Suppose I had just invented great new formula for toothpaste. My local community would be enthusiastic, but the market would be pretty restricted to word-of-mouth advertising. If I wanted to challenge for a bigger market I would need to advertise on a broad scale that would reach enough people to justify the expense. Newspapers outside of my local area aren't going to give me free media time, less so for TV markets beyond those interested in the "local inventor" angle. A public stock offering may not grab much attention, so I go for a handful of venture capitalists to underwrite the first widescale ads.

Marketing a candidate is not dissimilar. One needs to get the message of the person out to a wide audience beyond a local base. There's no cheap, dependable way to do that.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 12:36:17 AM »

Well, if it were one aspect of "clean campaigning" drive, or one example of a candidate who touted him or herself as independent minded, it could make a difference. I know it would get my attention.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 01:01:25 PM »

Didn't Feingold do something like that in his last election?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 02:14:29 PM »

Correct, and so did Paul Wellstone.  Some others might have too, but I couldn't say.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies