Bizarre swing in Spalding County Georgia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:13:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bizarre swing in Spalding County Georgia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bizarre swing in Spalding County Georgia  (Read 1053 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2021, 05:35:16 PM »

I was combing through the NY Times interactive electoral map and noticed some rather bizarre swings in a couple of towns in Georgia that I would have thought were an error at first given that the surrounding county swung towards Biden. Birdie, Georgia which Hillary won by seven points in 2016 went for Trump by SEVENTY points in 2020. The neighboring town of Caruso went from 76-22 Clinton in 2016 to 68-31 Trump in 2020. Does anybody know anything about the area to know why their would be such a radically counter-cyclical trend?
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 06:34:32 PM »

Saw a similar swing in a corner of Lamar County, MS. 72-24 Trump 2016 to 71-26 Biden 2020. Wondered if there was a typo
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 06:38:30 PM »

Obviously a typo
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 07:32:25 PM »

How big is the county? Counties with a small population are prone to large swings.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 07:28:53 AM »

How big is the county? Counties with a small population are prone to large swings.

It's fairly small and swung slightly to Biden overall which leads me to think that this was a typo on the part of the Times.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 03:15:22 PM »

Not sure if it might explain this swing vs the typo theory, but I seem to recall that Cinyc some 6-7 Months back expressed some major concerns regarding the NYT methodology when it came to coding precinct boundary changes between '16 and '20, which accounted for some of the more unusual numbers on their "swing map" view.

Haven't spent that much time on the Forum for a bit so not sure if he completed his project, but I recall he had modelling which he felt was more representative of actual swings for places with precinct changes.

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 03:34:44 PM »

That's absolutely a typo. This county has seen a big Black influx, no way these precincts swung super right.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 10:54:53 AM »

That's absolutely a typo. This county has seen a big Black influx, no way these precincts swung super right.

And even otherwise - how does a town just swing 92 points rightward as everything around it shifts leftward?
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »

And even otherwise - how does a town just swing 92 points rightward as everything around it shifts leftward?
Majority orthodox (or is it conservative?) communities are the clear answer here.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 09:44:35 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2021, 09:49:30 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Not sure if it might explain this swing vs the typo theory, but I seem to recall that Cinyc some 6-7 Months back expressed some major concerns regarding the NYT methodology when it came to coding precinct boundary changes between '16 and '20, which accounted for some of the more unusual numbers on their "swing map" view.

Haven't spent that much time on the Forum for a bit so not sure if he completed his project, but I recall he had modelling which he felt was more representative of actual swings for places with precinct changes.

That actually makes a lot of sense. A weird pattern I noticed about the NYT swing map was the ubiquity of heavy Trump swings throughout the country in the rural areas directly surrounding small towns. That's probably not a real geographic trend, but an artifact of how their coding dealt with precinct boundary modifications that were intersecting municipal limits.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies