Would a Republican win in CA 2021 be an even bigger upset than MA 2010 or AL 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:33:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Would a Republican win in CA 2021 be an even bigger upset than MA 2010 or AL 2017
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Would a Republican win in CA 2021 be an even bigger upset than MA 2010 or AL 2017  (Read 1494 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2021, 01:29:19 PM »

Honestly, yes
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 02:08:27 PM »

Yes, particularly because it's a huge state so it's harder to have a fluke election. 
dkxdjy
qkxwsm
Rookie
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 04:26:26 PM »

I'd actually say no since there have been recent statewide elections that were somewhat close in CA but not in AL
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 05:40:41 PM »

Not necessarily because the situation of it being a recall makes it a fairly different circumstance, especially when there isn't really a viable Democratic alternative to Newsom for question two.
Rjjr77
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 06:01:11 PM »

Bigger than Both. Massachusetts in 10 wasn't that big because of how bad the opponent was, Same for Alabama.

This would be super interesting. People approve of Newsome, but they don't particularly LIKE him. So it would be a test of would they vote?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 07:16:37 PM »

Yes in that California is just so big that it really would take a series of one-in-a-million events to happen again. For example, this whole thing likely never happens if Newsom ordered takeout the day the pandemic-influenced extension period started for gathering signatures.

No in that anyone aware of the voting patterns (or lack thereof) of California Democrats in odd-year elections shouldn't be surprised at the narrower-than-usual margins in the polls/likely results.
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 08:05:30 PM »

Hands down “Yes” bc it is the heaviest lift (in terms of raw votes) for the gop to convince a huge chunk of Dems to vote for the opposite party. What do they have a 2/1 disadvantage? I mean it’s California, the belly of the beast of progressive politics. I just cannot conceive of such an ideologically opposite candidate of the state actually winning.

Massachusetts at least has a history of voting for opposite party office holders (gov), so I don’t consider them monolithically Democrat across the board. The Republicans there are very moderate to liberal aren’t they?

Alabama was just a giant fluke that required everything to go right for Jones. Also, he was a moderate Democrat running against a well-known sleazy accused pedophile
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 12:17:30 AM »

Elder isn't gonna be Gov, Newsom had the Bay Area as well as Southern Cali, Elder only has Southern Cali, it's not enough
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 11:25:43 AM »

California is even more ideologically homogeneous than Alabama, Newsom isn’t a child molester, and California is huge. It should be a wake up call that the Democratic Party has to change to win if Newsom loses.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 12:13:54 PM »

If you were to ask me as recently as a month ago I would've said yes. That said, with CA state Dems starting to panic due to potential low turnout among Democrats, I now say no.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 08:30:16 PM »

If you were to ask me as recently as a month ago I would've said yes. That said, with CA state Dems starting to panic due to potential low turnout among Democrats, I now say no.

Yeah, all of the recent polling could've had a better outlook for the governor. There's definitely a lot of GOP enthusiasm and a lot I think are beginning to see it. Therefore, I don't really think this would qualify as a bigger upset.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 09:00:49 PM »

No, because a Republican could "win" the second question with a tiny plurality with 10-20% of the vote. If the Republicans won a one-on-one election in California, yes, it would be a bigger upset but that is not what we have here.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 07:56:50 PM »

Yes if we're comparing it to actual polling, but no if we're talking about general circumstances surrounding the respective races.
bayareabay
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 10:18:45 PM »

Hands down “Yes” bc it is the heaviest lift (in terms of raw votes) for the gop to convince a huge chunk of Dems to vote for the opposite party. What do they have a 2/1 disadvantage? I mean it’s California, the belly of the beast of progressive politics. I just cannot conceive of such an ideologically opposite candidate of the state actually winning.

Massachusetts at least has a history of voting for opposite party office holders (gov), so I don’t consider them monolithically Democrat across the board. The Republicans there are very moderate to liberal aren’t they?

Alabama was just a giant fluke that required everything to go right for Jones. Also, he was a moderate Democrat running against a well-known sleazy accused pedophile

Sexual contact between Moore and a 14 year old would not be classified as pedophilia as she was over the age of 13.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 06:15:35 AM »

Sexual contact between Moore and a 14 year old would not be classified as pedophilia as she was over the age of 13.
Let's not get into that "bUt ItS hEbEPhIlIa" thing, its deplorable nevertheless and I don't see much difference in separating the terms given that "pedophile" is generally used for all the chronophilias.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2021, 09:21:04 AM »

Yes if we're comparing it to actual polling, but no if we're talking about general circumstances surrounding the respective races.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2021, 03:25:24 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2021, 10:37:01 AM by CentristRepublican »

Bigger than AL in 2017, because there there was a good, logical reason for true Christian conservatives to back Jones, but smaller than MA in 2010, because that was completely and totally random and out of the blue. It's kind of like comparing LA02 in 2008 to MN08 in 2010 - the first was somewhat expected because of a scandal-ridden candidate from the party that normally wins, but the second was a total upset.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies