Why has this forum shifted so much in opinion on Robert E. Lee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:11:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why has this forum shifted so much in opinion on Robert E. Lee?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why has this forum shifted so much in opinion on Robert E. Lee?  (Read 503 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2021, 12:37:30 AM »
« edited: August 18, 2021, 01:04:48 AM by The End to the Epic »

Compare:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=458459.0
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=92966.0

At least it's a shift in the right direction.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 12:54:50 AM »

The mythology is starting to die.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 01:20:33 AM »

I went to school in Connecticut and not a bad word was said about the man. The excuse given for why he "technically wasn't bad" is that he was a brilliant military tactician that Lincoln wanted as Commanding General before McClellan or Grant. I probably would've voted FF in the 2009 poll because that was the year I had learned about it in middle school - a more kinder, gentler Lost Cause, if you will.

I suppose he gets points in the North for maybe considering the Union before deciding that the interests of his state outweighed those of the country. Why his hesitation and ultimate wrong decision on the matter should deserve him any special sympathy is very strange to me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 11:13:56 AM »

People are woke?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 01:22:40 PM »

I went to school in Connecticut and not a bad word was said about the man. The excuse given for why he "technically wasn't bad" is that he was a brilliant military tactician that Lincoln wanted as Commanding General before McClellan or Grant. I probably would've voted FF in the 2009 poll because that was the year I had learned about it in middle school - a more kinder, gentler Lost Cause, if you will.

I suppose he gets points in the North for maybe considering the Union before deciding that the interests of his state outweighed those of the country. Why his hesitation and ultimate wrong decision on the matter should deserve him any special sympathy is very strange to me.

Self-doubt is a virtue, so I do understand why knowing that might make someone empathize more with a historical figure.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 02:30:23 PM »

We're all familiar with the relevant cultural and intellectual trends, but a specific piece that matters more directly here than elsewhere is that the partisan mythologies through which our national history is continually retold have shifted substantially now that Southern whites are no longer looked to as an important swing constituency.

Yeah, it's telling that the first post in that 2009 thread is by benconstine; his white Southern affectation was silly even then but is hard to imagine now. The position that a suburban kid might take now to differentiate himself from his liberal parents would be something like opposing gun control because gun owners can defend themselves against the police.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 02:36:28 PM »

We're all familiar with the relevant cultural and intellectual trends, but a specific piece that matters more directly here than elsewhere is that the partisan mythologies through which our national history is continually retold have shifted substantially now that Southern whites are no longer looked to as an important swing constituency.

Yeah, it's telling that the first post in that 2009 thread is by benconstine; his white Southern affectation was silly even then but is hard to imagine now. The position that a suburban kid might take now to differentiate himself from his liberal parents would be something like opposing gun control because gun owners can defend themselves against the police.
It's interesting how benconstine-style Moderate Heroism has mostly gone extinct, even people like Wulfric are off the deep end on some views. In fact the closest thing to it that's still widespread is probably Glenn Greenwald/Tulsi Gabbard-style knee-jerk contrarianism.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 10:31:30 PM »

The Civil War, rightly or wrongly, is seen less and less of a “war between brothers” (i.e., a regrettable splitting of a nation that had to learn to heal together in the years since) by the year.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 07:50:18 AM »

A new mythology is taking shape.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 01:08:34 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2021, 04:46:20 PM by John Adams »

Yes, we all know where you stand on the question of "black people are humans and have historically faced and currently face systemic racism."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies