It amazes me that the media keep acting like Afghanistan is just a US problem while ignoring China
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 05:40:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  It amazes me that the media keep acting like Afghanistan is just a US problem while ignoring China
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It amazes me that the media keep acting like Afghanistan is just a US problem while ignoring China  (Read 488 times)
roxas11
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2021, 11:17:52 AM »
« edited: August 15, 2021, 12:07:47 PM by roxas11 »

On the Sunday shows and on social media I keep seeing many reporters ask this question

What will America do if Afghanistan becomes a hot bed for terrorist again?

The reason this question is so silly to me is because they are acting as if we are still in the 90s and American is still the only super power in the world right now. I think at the very least they should acknowledge the fact that Afghanistan is in on China border not ours.

Imagine an alternate reality where Mexico suddenly became a hot bed for Islamist terrorist. I don't for one second believe that the media would be currently asking China what will they do to stop the terrorist that is on America's borders lol

The reality is if Afghanistan does become a terrorist state that it is not just our problem anymore and the so called mainstream media needs to stop pretending that at is
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 11:27:23 AM »

Nice word salad.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 11:32:06 AM »

China doesn't have any troops stationed in Muslim holy sites/arming Israel. What reasoning would terrorists have for suddenly waging jihad against China lol, especially when they're busy having a war with who they view as "infidel occupiers in Palestine and Saudi Arabia.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 11:32:37 AM »

Fun Fact !
Afghanistan only borders China because Russia and the UK didn't want to border each other during the Great Game.
That part of Afghanistan is fairly isolated and not very traversable anyway.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 11:33:37 AM »

it's nearly impossible to cross that border. IDK what you're on about here
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 11:35:33 AM »

It’s all over the news that Taliban leadership have been meeting with CCP leadership. The CCP don’t want the Taliban riling up the Uighurs. And the Taliban, like their Pakistani paymasters, don’t care about Muslims they don’t control.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 11:50:06 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2021, 11:56:22 AM by roxas11 »

it's nearly impossible to cross that border. IDK what you're on about here

You claim its impossible to cross that border yet here china is bending over backwards to appese the new taliban goverment

you clearly have more faith in that border than even China does

Also remember the US was as far away from the middle east as humanly possible yet that did not stop terrorists from coming over here to commit the worst terror attack in our history and make no mistake that so called nearly impossible to cross border will not stop them if they decide to go after China
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »

The Taliban has neither the means nor motivation to assist Xinjiang fighters or otherwise attack China directly. I also imagine a honeymoon phase where the Taliban just accepts money from china and Pakistan and everything is relatively stable in the region is likely.

For a long-term geopolitical risk, I wouldn't be surprised if individual groups of Afghanistan Taliban gradually started assisting the Pakistani Taliban for Pashtun irredentist reasons, even if some leaders try to stop it. As for China, Pakistani destabilization could do heavy damage to their geopolitical position in south Asia, certainly vis a vis the 1B1R and containing India. Therefore, a conflict in Pashtun majority areas of Pakistan is far more likely to cause China to intervene against the Taliban in Afghanistan than a tiny land border.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 01:49:25 PM »

Even though we occupied Afghanistan it's been China getting a lot of the contracts for mineral rights and construction projects. China won't suffer because Afghanistan is controlled by the Taliban, they'll just work with them and be unconcerned about how they govern locally as long as they allow China's objectives in the country.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 01:53:45 PM »

The King of Afghanistan actually attempted to help East Turkestan nationalists back in the day, but the PLA ultimately won the day there. I don't think there would be any political will to do something like that today.

I mean, look -

It's called the graveyard of Empires for a reason.

These are the countries that failed in Afghanistan.

British Empire - withdrew 1919
Soviet Union - withdrew 1989 (Soviet backed government collapsed in 1992)
United States - withdrew and gov't collapsed 2021

It stands to reason that the next succeeding power, China, would want to avoid those mistakes and instead try to maintain more cordial relations in the region. I don't see any reason why it would directly intervene barring a terrorist attack. Don't forget that China along with the US and UK actually backed the mujahideen against the Soviets in the 1980s.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 04:34:33 PM »

If the US government really knew what was up they would fabricate a war between China and the Taliban and then get the Chinese stuck there for decades which would give the US more flexibility in the Pacific.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 04:42:29 PM »

China doesn't have any troops stationed in Muslim holy sites/arming Israel. What reasoning would terrorists have for suddenly waging jihad against China lol, especially when they're busy having a war with who they view as "infidel occupiers in Palestine and Saudi Arabia.

Maybe because they're imprisoning millions of their Muslim population into concentration camps, violating their human rights and trying to indoctrinate them.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 04:43:56 PM »

Maybe because they're imprisoning millions of their Muslim population into concentration camps, violating their human rights and trying to indoctrinate them.

Is that actually happening, though, or is it just a right-wing plot to make Americans hate China?
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 04:48:12 PM »

Is that actually happening, though, or is it just a right-wing plot to make Americans hate China?

I don't know if it is necessary "millions" being imprisoned at any particular time, but:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/china-undercover/
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 05:24:32 PM »

Oh, you have to be kidding.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies