Should John Kerry Resign the Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:20:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Should John Kerry Resign the Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should John Kerry Resign the Senate?  (Read 5192 times)
qwerty
Dick Nixon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2004, 08:16:56 PM »

---
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 08:21:23 PM »

No. I'd rather have him stay and never vote than have a Republican in his place. The Democrats in the legislature should force Romney to appoint a Democrat or hold a special election if he wins.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 08:23:27 PM »

I tend to agree with you, BRTD.  There is no reason he should have to resign.  If he does not win, I would like him to finish his current term in the senate.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 08:26:29 PM »

i think paul celucci would be a good fit in the senate,  or better yet, jane swift.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 08:28:42 PM »

I don't think he should have to but if he was to resign and not win the presidency come this November he could always run for his seat again and win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 08:37:08 PM »

Should he choose to resign? Yes. The people elect Senators to represent them and vote in Washington. If he is missing 90% of the votes, he's not fulfilling his duty as a Senator. I'd love to see a Republican appointed to the seat but whether it's a Democrat or Republican my answer is still the same - Yes John Kerry should resign.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 08:48:52 PM »

Dole might feel regretful because he resigned but he did the right thing.  
zachman

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 08:49:58 PM »

i think paul celucci would be a good fit in the senate,  or better yet, jane swift.
Those two were terrible and very unpopular, Swift left her seat to take care of her children, and Cellucci is the ambassador to Canada I believe.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 08:52:43 PM »

I was listening to a radio station in DC today that was interviewing Kerry (93.9 WKYS if you live in that area) and a caller asked Kerry why he has been missing so many votes. Kerry essentially said that his one vote would not make a difference on way or the other. I wonder if he forgot about the 59-40 vote on unemployment benefits a month back.
zachman

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 08:53:33 PM »

I was listening to a radio station in DC today that was interviewing Kerry (93.9 WKYS if you live in that area) and a caller asked Kerry why he has been missing so many votes. Kerry essentially said that his one vote would not make a difference on way or the other. I wonder if he forgot about the 59-40 vote on unemployment benefits a month back.
You mean 50-49?
PatadyBag

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 09:04:09 PM »

Nope, I believe MHS is right- the bill required sixty votes to pass it and Sen. Kerry was out of town.

Keeping the post on topic, I don't think Kerry should resign his seat- I have a feeling that if you were to poll the people of Massachusetts they'd rather have Kerry keep his seat over any Republican Romney would appoint to fill it (not to mention that, if Kerry were to lose the election, he'd still have another 4 years left in his current term).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 09:14:13 PM »

Kerry has stated he won't resign but if he did he wouldn't be replaced by Cellucci (since, yes, he is the current Ambassador to Canada) or Swift (very unpopular when she left) The seat would probably be given to MA's Lt. Guv Kerry Healey (R)

It really is an outrage to see a Senator say that his vote doesn't matter one way or the other. After a statement like that there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Kerry should resign.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 09:18:29 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2004, 09:32:21 PM by supersoulty »

I love your signature Phil  Smiley

Your not going to be too popular sporting that around here though.  Even the Republicans hate Santorum.

And you quoted Toomey, which is doubley bad since to most here Toomey is the next closest thing to Satan.  I used to be known as a moderate until I supported him.  That automatically made me an extermist and my reputation here has never recovered.

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 09:23:52 PM »

I wonder if he forgot about the 59-40 vote on unemployment benefits a month back.

Cheney would have broken the tie, and defeted the bill.

No, he wouldn't.  THe measure would have come to vote ad gotten more than 50 votes.  Cheney would have had nothing to do with it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 09:37:11 PM »

supersoulty, let me tell ya this...I supported Pat Toomey and I still support Rick Santorum. And guess what? I don't care what others think. I love debating with people. It's great that people disagree. That's whats fun about politics. I am a conservative...not a moderate and not an extremist either.

I came to the forum and was welcomed by D's and R's. While we disagree, we can get along on this forum. I've seen other forums where people just trash one another and that doesn't happen here. I'm happy about that.

As for anyone that doesn't like Toomey or Santorum, whether you're D or R I respect you all but I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes...

"I'M FROM THE REPUBLICAN WING OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY." - PAT TOOMEY
Rococo4

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2004, 09:39:19 PM »

I love your signature Phil  Smiley

Your not going to be too popular sporting that around here though.  Even the Republicans hate Santorum.

And you quoted Toomey, which is doubley bad since to most here Toomey is the next closest thing to Satan.  I used to be known as a moderate until I supported him.  That automatically made me an extermist and my reputation here has never recovered.

Santorum is great.....lay off
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2004, 09:41:56 PM »

Who are you telling to lay off? supersoulty and myself obviously support Santorum. He is great!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2004, 09:42:12 PM »

supersoulty, let me tell ya this...I supported Pat Toomey and I still support Rick Santorum. And guess what? I don't care what others think. I love debating with people. It's great that people disagree. That's whats fun about politics. I am a conservative...not a moderate and not an extremist either.

I came to the forum and was welcomed by D's and R's. While we disagree, we can get along on this forum. I've seen other forums where people just trash one another and that doesn't happen here. I'm happy about that.

As for anyone that doesn't like Toomey or Santorum, whether you're D or R I respect you all but I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes...

"I'M FROM THE REPUBLICAN WING OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY." - PAT TOOMEY

What?  Dude, you misunderstood.  I supported both of them, I'm just telling you in a freindly way to prepare to defend yourself.  I love Rick, and people hate me for it.  Well, not hate, but they go after me.  It was nothing against you.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2004, 09:50:09 PM »

No preference.  I think if the people of Mass. feel like John Kerry is representing them running for president, then he can abstain from every vote.  In fact, he could abstain from every vote even if he wasn't running for president.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2004, 10:02:07 PM »

I wonder if he forgot about the 59-40 vote on unemployment benefits a month back.

Cheney would have broken the tie, and defeted the bill.

There wouldn't have been a tie.  The bill needed 60 votes in order to overcome objections.  John Kerry was the only one that did not vote.  Here is the Senate link:
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=2&vote=00088
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2004, 11:51:12 PM »

That was true.  Kerry said he would go to D.C to vote on the bill again if the votes would have remained the same.  Regardless this bill would have never made it past the House
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2004, 12:42:42 AM »

If he resigned which he shouldnt, the seat would prob become Republican. Hes missed roll calls becauses hes on the trail.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2004, 12:46:50 AM »

Of course he shouldn't, though I wish he would.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2004, 07:26:57 AM »

Yes!  Special election in November, and Massachusetts can elect somebody even left of John Kerry.  Barney frank maybe?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004, 10:13:13 AM »

If he resigned which he shouldnt, the seat would prob become Republican. Hes missed roll calls becauses hes on the trail.

He was elected to represent his state, and he is not doing his job.  If anything, he should not be paid while he is running for President, however I believe all current seated politicians should give up their seat if they wish to pursue a different office.  It is only fair to the voters that way.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies