Census undercount of whites?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:20:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Census undercount of whites?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Census undercount of whites?  (Read 185 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2021, 02:58:43 AM »
« edited: August 13, 2021, 03:02:12 AM by Storebought »

For a long time the talk was of the census missing Hispanic populations, for manifold reasons.

Could there have been a miss of rural whites? Given that one of the chief failures of polls in both 2016 and 2020 was due to rural whites no longer answering phones or taking surveys, I actually this is plausible.

And, while, yes, responding to the census is a civic requirement, we have seen that these same people are dropping out of civil society at a pretty reliable clip.
Builder Refused
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 03:19:21 AM »

I don’t know how the census works but I assume they know the amounts of houses per census block. I don’t know what after that because you might get shot, but maybe go and canvass a hundred or so of them, test which homes are in low response areas, ramshackle or McMansion. Though they could just be foreclosed on or vacant, however more people at the Capitol riot were foreclosed on statistically.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 03:33:35 AM »

There is probably some degree of "flight from white", where people who once identified as white have become less likely to do so, both because of changes in the question wording and broader cultural trends. This is really noticeable when you compare 2010 to 2020 in heavily Hispanic areas -- particularly that Rio Grande Valley.

Republicans have finally figured out how to win among minorities: just get your own voters to self-describe as minorities!
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 04:00:26 AM »

No, the lower than estimated share of Non Hispanic whites, 57.8% vs 59.8% was a 3.3% difference, for blacks it was the same, 12.1% vs 12.5% or 3.2% lower, a lot of blacks and whites who only identified as one race in 2010 chose to identify as multiracial in 2020 dropping their shares below what was projected.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies