Did Joe Lieberman hurt Al Gore in 2000
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:13:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Did Joe Lieberman hurt Al Gore in 2000
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Joe Lieberman hurt Al Gore in 2000  (Read 1357 times)
RRusso1982
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2021, 01:16:54 PM »

Did Joe Lieberman hurt Al Gore in 2000?  It seems to me that if Ralph Nader is challenging you from the left and saying you are not liberal enough, it is not a good idea to pick a running mate who is to the right of most Republicans on foreign policy and defense issues.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 01:31:25 PM »

I think so, Gore was trying to distance himself from Clinton and appeal to Social Conservatives by picking a sanctimonious moralist like Lieberman. The problem is he was still pro-choice so none of them voted for him but he did manage to alienate many on the left. The same thing would have happened in reverse if McCain had picked Lieberman in 2008 to an even greater extreme, conservatives would have stayed home en masse and he would barely have won over any Democrats aside from a handful of PUMAs in states that didn't matter.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 09:33:51 PM »

In addition to the above, hawks don’t win elections during times of peace.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 09:36:09 PM »

I knew instantly that he was a terrible pick when the media had the first positive thing to say about the Gore campaign when he picked Lieberman.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 08:05:49 AM »

Lieberman probably helped somewhat in New York, New Jersey, and his home state, but those three states were never going to be hotly contested, and he more than made up for it with the damage done in the rest of the nation.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 10:02:51 AM »

Lieberman probably helped somewhat in New York, New Jersey, and his home state, but those three states were never going to be hotly contested, and he more than made up for it with the damage done in the rest of the nation.

Lieberman probably also helped Gore in Florida among Jewish voters and Northeastern transplants in Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade, contributing to that state's extreme closeness. But he was a net liability to Gore elsewhere, causing him to lose many votes to Nader, and hence explaining why states such as Oregon and Minnesota were so close that year.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 11:01:13 AM »

I think he helped in Florida as well as The Northeast, but probably hurt him in The South, but I think Nader hurt Gore more than Lieberman did. Lieberman was a hawk but he was not socially conservative, so I can't see the argument of Lieberman helping social conservatives..
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 11:10:28 AM »

Lieberman probably helped with hawks who were moderate domestically, but hurt Gore with pretty much anyone else
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 01:41:44 PM »

Anecdotally my first poli sci professor in college told us she applied to work on the Nader campaign as soon as Gore picked Lieberman. She told us she worked in Green Party politics and even ran for some local city positions from 2000-2015 when she quit because of all the infighting and insanity in the party. She was a good poli sci professor with very interesting perspectives on things she got me my first paid political job too.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 04:35:00 PM »

Lieberman probably also helped Gore in Florida among Jewish voters and Northeastern transplants in Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade, contributing to that state's extreme closeness. But he was a net liability to Gore elsewhere, causing him to lose many votes to Nader, and hence explaining why states such as Oregon and Minnesota were so close that year.
Would Bob Graham have been the best choice? Stop the bleeding else where but also helps in Florida
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 04:15:23 PM »

Would Bob Graham have been the best choice? Stop the bleeding else where but also helps in Florida
Graham may have helped in Florida but having an all-southern ticket could have hurt him elsewhere. I think Shaheen would have been the best pick would have helped him in NH and the Northern states but probably turned off fewer leftists than Lieberman did.
Gore's campaign made several key mistakes though he shouldn't have distanced himself from Clinton. Clinton's personal favoriblitiy was low but people were happy with his economic policies.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 07:04:09 PM »

Graham would have been a better choice than Gore, but Gore would have been served best by Shaheen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies