POLL: 44% of Americans think the Delta wave of COVID will be the worst yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:40:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  POLL: 44% of Americans think the Delta wave of COVID will be the worst yet
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What are your thoughts about this trajectory of the pandemic?
The worst truly is yet to come

It'll get worse than it is now, but nowhere near as bad as its previous nadir

The pandemic is going away, and the worst is pretty much over

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: POLL: 44% of Americans think the Delta wave of COVID will be the worst yet  (Read 886 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2021, 01:36:00 PM »

https://navigatorresearch.org/the-delta-variant-and-rising-cases-renew-pandemic-concerns/

-44% of Americans say that the worst of the pandemic is yet to come. Yes, even with half of the country vaccinated and virtually immune to Delta, people think it's going to be worse than even during the Trump days.
-And while Biden is more still more trusted on the COVID response, his approval on the issue is going down.
-Head-to-head messaging that pin the blame on Biden "taking credit for the pandemic being over" when it wasn't vs. Republicans downplaying the virus and opposing masks/vaccinations is only a 50/50 split. Oof.

This is bad news for Biden. And coming from a Democratic pollster, no less. If people don't feel any more optimistic about the pandemic then they did when Trump was in office, this could be trouble for Democrats in the midterms.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 03:05:38 PM »

It'll get worse in low vax areas but we won't see the same amount of deaths/hospitalizations.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »

The delta variant surge may be short lived. Look at the UK and India, especially UK. Cases dropped off there and we are always a few weeks behind whatever happens in the UK.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 03:11:50 PM »

The delta variant surge may be short lived. Look at the UK and India, especially UK. Cases dropped off there and we are always a few weeks behind whatever happens in the UK.

While that would be nice, I wouldn't count on it. UK's got a much higher vaxx % than we do, it probably just ran out of steam because of that. We could see UK-like drops in high vaxx states, but it'll rip through rural areas.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 05:34:22 PM »

The only way it will get worse if if the damage by the unvaccinated has been done enough where they willfully became living petri dishes for an even deadlier, more easily transmissible Epsilon variant or something.

Obviously I'm not an optimist by nature, but I do think we've looked into the abyss and that finally scared at least some people in ways that will cause at least some improvement for the situation.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 06:50:13 PM »

Well, the worst is hopefully over (knock on wood) but the current wave will be relatively worse at the peak than where we are now.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 08:27:51 PM »

This is what gives me some optimism here. It seems like a Delta wave produces a short and very intense spike, not a drawn-out slow-motion nightmare like we experienced from October to February.
MaximaEt_Illustratum
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 12:54:23 PM »

It seems that vaccines are mostly effective against the Delta variant, but it doesn't hurt to be more careful.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 03:28:43 PM »

https://navigatorresearch.org/americans-broadly-oppose-governors-prohibiting-mask-mandates/

Update: Up to 51% now thinks the worst of the pandemic is still to come -- even worse than pre-vaccines. Not good for Biden.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 03:47:04 PM »

https://navigatorresearch.org/americans-broadly-oppose-governors-prohibiting-mask-mandates/

Update: Up to 51% now thinks the worst of the pandemic is still to come -- even worse than pre-vaccines. Not good for Biden.

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely more that Biden could and should be doing, but...

a) Biden is not responsible for the evolution of the Delta variant. The Delta variant was first detected in late 2020, before Biden was even inaugurated.
b) Biden is not responsible for the fact that ~half of Republicans refuse to get vaccinated, and huge numbers of Americans still refuse to take simple steps to reduce transmission such as wearing masks. You can't fix stupid, and there are a lot of stupid people out there.

It is unreasonable to blame Biden for those things. What you can legitimately blame him for is for STILL not fully mobilizing American/global vaccine production and distribution and coming up for a serious plan to deal with future variants that will eventually replace Delta and which are in the process of evolving now. There is reason to believe that future variants may end up being even worse than Delta and be more vaccine resistant. Although we can idly hope that is not the case, hope is not a plan, and it is the job of our leaders to come up with a plan and be prepared. It is not a threat that we don't know exists. But human beings are very shortsighted and very bad at planning for the future, especially in the instant gratification era of American social media culture. It is all "me me me, now now now." Long term planning does not exist.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 03:52:49 PM »

This is what gives me some optimism here. It seems like a Delta wave produces a short and very intense spike, not a drawn-out slow-motion nightmare like we experienced from October to February.

Guys, I have a bad news for you re:Delta-cases in UK.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 05:03:34 PM »

If you’re a dopey unvaccinated Q hick living in some denialist part of the country, it’s pretty clear the worst is yet to come for you. But for me and my circle who rightly trust the vaccine science, the worst has long since passed.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 05:28:19 PM »

The pandemic only exists among unvaccinated people.  More than 90% of these hospitalizations and deaths are from the 1/3 of the country that is still unvaccinated, a population that is more than 80% Republican.

If everyone was vaccinated, cases would drop to 1/12 their current levels.  And research has demonstrated clearly that the booster shots make the vaccine extremely effective even against Delta.

Vaccination ended the original COVID pandemic.  Now we have a Delta COVID pandemic.  Booster shots will end that.  But for the unvaccinated Republicans, the misery and death will only continue.  And frankly, the longer this goes on, the less sympathy I have for them.

I remember back during the election there were plenty of Republicans who liked to shout me down and spam their pro-COVID talking points on this forum.  I'm sure they all believed they were invincible and would never get COVID.  Haven't heard from those guys in a while.  I wonder whether they're all still alive.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 06:51:05 PM »

I still don't see how that translates into losing faith in Biden rather than losing faith in other Americans.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 07:38:12 PM »

There's god knows how many more mutations of this thing.  It never ends.  It's like playing whack-a-mole.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies