Atlas Chess Tournament '21 (Final Scores) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:41:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Chess Tournament '21 (Final Scores) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlas Chess Tournament '21 (Final Scores)  (Read 9698 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 06, 2021, 03:15:39 PM »

ROUND 2! diptheriadian has been left out per his request, and so morgieb will be getting a bye unless someone else jumps in.

White vs. Black
AGA - Scott
bore - NewYorkExpress
Ebowed - minionofmidas
OBD - muon2
oakvale - YPestis25
Old School Republican - HockeyDude
Mimoha - Ishan
TimTurner - Abdullah
morgieb gets a bye

Interested in taking the open slot if it's still available...

I believe I already have an account, although not sure if I need to pony up a few $$$ for my chess.com account.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 06:03:43 PM »

I'm pretty much deferring judgment for this Swiss-style tournament to muon. NOVA Green can play as black against morgieb.

I believe I already have an account, although not sure if I need to pony up a few $$$ for my chess.com account.

You don't need money for a basic account. But as an FYI, lichess allows for unlimited puzzles daily. (I haven't used it enough to see if there's post-game analysis though, which is what I like most about chess.com)

So am I playing Black or White, since Muon2 and you have both posted slightly different things.  Wink

Doesn't really matter a toss to me, although I should warn everyone that I am extremely rusty, despite having been on a top-tier High School Chess Team around (30) years back. Wink

Wasn't worried about the bread so much as the logistics.

Now when does the game commence?Huh

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 06:11:36 PM »

I'm pretty much deferring judgment for this Swiss-style tournament to muon. NOVA Green can play as black against morgieb.

You don't need money for a basic account. But as an FYI, lichess allows for unlimited puzzles daily. (I haven't used it enough to see if there's post-game analysis though, which is what I like most about chess.com)

So am I playing Black or White, since Muon2 and you have both posted slightly different things.  Wink

Doesn't really matter a toss to me, although I should warn everyone that I am extremely rusty, despite having been on a top-tier High School Chess Team around (30) years back. Wink

Sorry, I think I misread muon's post. You play as white against morgieb.

The game commences now.

DAMN--- Good thing I happened to be online as opposed to the old "clock things" we used to have to tap every single time we would make our move. Wink
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 06:15:19 PM »

The game commences now.

DAMN--- Good thing I happened to be online as opposed to the old "clock things" we used to have to tap every single time we would make our move. Wink

Stupid question... how to I start the game with morgieb?   (Registered a bit back, but haven't used this venue before)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 06:51:41 PM »

The game commences now.

Stupid question... how to I start the game with morgieb?   (Registered a bit back, but haven't used this venue before)

1. Go to his profile
2. Click 'Challenge'
3. Standard game, 3 day time limit, I play as: White

Think I got it working right based upon your info.

Meanwhile, I DEMAND, DEMAND, I say that my clock be reset to (30) minutes back before I decide my first move within the next 72 hours... Wink

Just kidding.... now about those pesky pawns and how to get them out of the way.... Huh?    Smiley
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 07:19:47 PM »

The game commences now.

1. Go to his profile
2. Click 'Challenge'

Meanwhile, I DEMAND, DEMAND, I say that my clock be reset to (30) minutes back before I decide my first move within the next 72 hours... Wink

Just kidding.... now about those pesky pawns and how to get them out of the way.... Huh?    Smiley

So I guess I have to wait until morgieb accepts my offer before making my first move?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 07:30:27 PM »

The game commences now.

1. Go to his profile
2. Click 'Challenge'

So I guess I have to wait until morgieb accepts my offer before making my first move?

Yes.

Awesome... that starts the clock then and now only only need to worry about which pawn I will move from either my left or right rook side to the 4th position on the board.

Plenty of time to deliberate and debate my opening move!!!!

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 06:50:37 PM »

The game commences now.

1. Go to his profile
2. Click 'Challenge'

Yes.

Awesome... that starts the clock then and now only only need to worry about which pawn I will move from either my left or right rook side to the 4th position on the board.

Plenty of time to deliberate and debate my opening move!!!!

How do I tell when someone accepts my challenge?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 08:36:42 PM »

Another silly question....

Is there an easy way to view all chess games of all Atlas Registered chess.com members?

Just curious about how badly I will get my bottom paddled against what appears to be an extremely formidable Atlas Tournament Lineup.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 07:18:43 PM »

So apparently I won my chess match against Morgieb123 in two moves:

NOVA Green (White)      Morgieb123 (Black)

1.)    d4           f5
2.)    g3           **** Lost on Time ****

Needless the despite the obviously brilliant nature of my opening moves and deeply flawed Black Response, for some reason I feel distinctly underwhelmed....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 09:33:00 PM »

So apparently I won my chess match against Morgieb123 in two moves:

NOVA Green (White)      Morgieb123 (Black)

1.)    d4           f5
2.)    g3           **** Lost on Time ****

Needless the despite the obviously brilliant nature of my opening moves and deeply flawed Black Response, for some reason I feel distinctly underwhelmed....

morgieb lost on time in round 1, too. If this format isn't working, then he can let us know if he'd rather withdraw from future rounds.

Sounds good... honestly feel kind of crap to play my first Atlas Chess Game and end up with a "W" after my 2nd move.

The Swiss Model kinda reminds me of the "Old Skool" type of mail correspondence chess, which gives players some time to reflect upon their moves, while they can also do the IRL stuff, vs having to chase down the next upcoming Chess Tournaments down the Highway, etc....

It also allows Atlas which has a 24 Hour time zone population a proper amount of time to adjust for things like sleep schedules, work schedules, etc...

Although personally I don't mind a Tournament function with 1.5 Hrs / Player Total time, it does get tricky with things like time zones and all that and coordinating schedules with your opponent.

Anyways--- not sure who I am facing in the next bracket, but will await further instructions. Wink
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 08:03:39 PM »

Gah, not looking forward to facing oakvale again. Tongue

This methodology is going to take time for me to digest (it's times like this I wish I were good at math and didn't have attention deficits), but Round 3 is officially commenced.

(also muon, in the future, please simply refer to me as Scott. bit of a pet peeve.)

White vs. Black
muon2 - bore
minionofmidas - AGA
HockeyDude - OBD
Scott - oakvale
NewYorkExpress - NOVA Green
Mimoha - Ebowed
Abdullah - YPestis25
morgieb - TimTurner
OSR - Ishan

Challenge accepted against NewYorkExpress!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 07:40:29 PM »

How does that happen so quickly?

Round 3 just started on 10/9/21?Huh
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 08:45:28 PM »

How does that happen so quickly?

Round 3 just started on 10/9/21?Huh

The rules allow for up to three days per move. However, each round is expected to last about a month. So, players are expected to complete a turn per day on average. If players used their full time on every move we wouldn't be starting round 4 until some time in 2022.  

I tend to take obvious moves quickly, especially openings and trades. I use more time if I want to think about a complex position. Obviously if I'm sleeping or working I take advantage of the time between moves.

Point taken, although I didn't know the expectations going in!

Just updated my sig temporarily to reflect my revived interest in Chess.   Smiley
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 08:48:35 PM »

NewYorkExpress threw me off with the Two Knights Variant as White's response to the French Defense and made one critical mistake very early after, but played strong to the end.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 12:57:24 AM »

How many games are remaining before Round 4?

Looks like it is starting to get close to finish line....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 10:44:16 PM »

Congratulations to muon, who comprehensively outclassed me in our game.

Thanks. You played a strong game, bore. I had to give a position a good think more than once (the rook sac was inspired even though it didn't work). Your play was definitely above the rating you have on chess.com, certainly closer to 1200 than 800 IMO.

So one game to go until the next round?

Tim Turner vs Patzer?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 12:07:11 AM »

Thanks Muon2 for being an amazing GM as always (Although I get that Scott is technically running the game).

Remember how you deftly handled substitutions and changes in the Diplomacy Games so love it how you explain the rules and clarify as needed.

Amazed to see that I am currently listed as #3.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 11:32:21 PM »

Have sent a challenge to NOVA Green.

Challenged proudly accepted!

Show me what you got!!!    Wink
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 07:53:35 PM »

I apologise for the slowness of my ongoing game - I've been trying to move as fast as I can for the last week or so (not that I begrudge my opponent for taking more time: those are the rules and we've all got real lives).

I do agree that a shorter time control might be in order next time around: I think most of us like the correspondence format - I play a lot better (obviously!) when I've got hours to think about a move. However 24 hours would seem to strike the right balance between the need to not have the tournament last a year and maintaining the relaxed, thoughtful pace of games that the format allows.

Totally agree with Oakvale on this and support the proposal for the next tournament to go to a shorter clock.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 08:06:23 PM »

Resigned against Oakvale on move 29.

Not quite sure how to describe this game without using a few small metaphors to describe unpleasant experiences.

"Death by a Thousand Cuts"

The phrase which I have been searching for over the past couple weeks recognizing that the writing was on the wall would be more something like the following:

Anybody who has not experienced being hogtied in various positions involving ALL appendages of the male anatomy over an extended period of time as part of a disciplinary exercise might consider if that is something which might bring more pleasure than pain.

Every time I thought I was slipping out of a knot, another handcuff or restrain mechanism was ruthlessly applied to bring me into submission.

I congratulate Oakvale for a well earned victory where early on he was able to establish massive positional advantages and controlling key lanes, although I believe that I did attempt a form of guerilla warfare when possible although the knots kept getting tighter and tighter.

Haven't played much with the English Opening as Black, but clearly here I was WAY out my element!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 08:37:47 PM »

My game with NOVA has concluded, 1-0. Thanks to Nova for a hard-fought game: I had a lot fun in this one and it was never easy.

1. c4 e5

My recollection is that I glanced at NOVA's profile for some cursory research and saw he likes to play the French against my usual e4. Like any decent person I dislike playing against the French, so an English it is.

2. Nc3 Nf6 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. g3 Bb4 5. Bg2 d6 6. O-O Bxc3 7. bxc3 Be6 8.Qb3 Rb8 9. d4 Bd7 10. dxe5 dxe5 11. Ba3 e4 12. Nd4 Na5

13. Nf5 Bxf5

Threatens the extremely cheesy Nxg7#. In a real-time game there's a pretty strong possibility that the opponent impulsively takes the pseudo-hanging queen here. Another reason correspondence leads to better games. The chess.com auto-analysis engine says this is a mistake, which is probably true, but how do you resist?

14. Qb5+ Qd7 15. Qxa5 Qc8 16. Qe5+ Be6 17. Rfd1 b6 18. Bxe4 c5 19. Bc6+ Kf8 20. Bc1 Bxc4 21.Bg5 Bxe2 22. Re1 Bg4 23. Bxf6 gxf6 24. Qxf6 Rg8 25. Bd5 Qd7

26. Bxf7 Qxf7

The critical moment here: the idea is after Qxf7 Qh6+ Rg7 Qd6+ Kg8 white grabs a rook. A fun little bit of geometry. Unfortunately this is volatile enough that a simple misplay from black leads to a forced mate.

27. Qh6+ Qg7 28. Qd6+ Kf7 29. Re7+ (Black resigned) 1-0

As I said, thanks to my opponent for a very entertaining game. It was fun and made me think.

Thanks Oakvale.... I was typing while you were posting. Wink

IMHO... my critical mistake was pushing the pawn to e4 on move 11.

Although I knew that earlier in the English Opening 4 Knights and White K-Side fianchetto pushing the Black K-Pawn early could cause trouble, I thought I had a solid enough defense and did not see the white B-a3 response in the previous move.

I had considered the N-A5 move but didn't see an easy response had you followed it with Q-b4.

Overplayed but even with the N-a5 move would have left my pawn on e4 vulnerable.

You beat me to the initial response, but I was running into counter-play options from relatively early on in the game.   Smiley

This is where I started to get put into a straight-jacket since although I was planning on castling the
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 05:01:39 PM »

Challenge sent.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2022, 09:57:57 PM »

My apologies for not posting earlier.... I was starting to draft a detailed analysis but got side-tracked with Ukraine.   Sad

I honestly thought I had a pretty decent positional advantage from relatively early on after effectively forcing the Queen exchange and preventing your King from any future castling attempts.

Still, despite repeated assaults you were able to rebuff my advances and prevent any material gain for the longest time.

Need to look through in more detail, but at one point the Game Review showed you as a solid favorite in the Middle Game!!!!

Well played and might be willing for a personal rematch challenge if you are interested, since I believe the Tournament is basically over (at least as far as any more completed rounds for the both of us)!

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2022, 12:11:32 AM »

Next Atlas Chess Tournament?   Wink

Got a private game on currently from a formidable opponent, which I narrowly croaked out a win last go around and won looking fwd towards a Spring 2022 Atlas Chess Tournament!!!

Suspect not the only one "Jonesing" for another sequence of match-ups!   Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies