Atlas Chess Tournament '21 (Final Scores)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:25:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Chess Tournament '21 (Final Scores)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Author Topic: Atlas Chess Tournament '21 (Final Scores)  (Read 9634 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2021, 09:57:15 PM »
« edited: March 31, 2022, 10:17:40 AM by Scott 🇺🇦 »

It's that time of year again! The rules (which will be posted below) are the same and there are no restrictions on who can sign up. However, it is on a first-come-first-serve basis as it was last year, and in order to structure the bracket so that people aren't stuck waiting for other challengers (this was a problem last year), I am reducing the number of eligible players to 16, with the remote possibility of that number being raised to 32, depending on the level of interest between here and AAD.

I will also, out of fairness to the participants, not be a contestant myself in this or future tournaments. (However, I will never turn down a challenge provided that there is a three-day time limit for each term, so you can still do so on my account.)

You are also encouraged to join the official club.

The rules are as follows:

1. You must register with a chess.com account and post your username publicly. (if you played in last year's tournament, this isn't necessary as I most likely already have yours in last year's thread)
2. All challenges must allow exactly 3 days between turns.
3. At the end of a game, one of the players must report the result. The bracket will be updated accordingly.
4. Wins are one point and draws count a half point to the total tournament score. No rematch is needed in the event of a draw.
5. Regardless of your opponent, please put all personal and political grievances aside. Above all else, be a good sport.

Matches will be randomly assigned.

Signups
1. AGA
2. YPestis25
3. NewYorkExpress
4. HockeyDude
5. minionofmidas
6. muon2
7. Ishan
8. bore
9. Old School Republican
10. Mimoha
11. TimTurner
12. diptheriadan
13. Abdullah
14. Ebowed
15. OBD
16. morgieb
17. oakvale
18. Scott
19. patzer
20. NOVA Green

Past Tournaments
2020 - Winner: General MacArthur
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 10:02:56 PM »

A_G_A
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 10:04:51 PM »

Petition for an Atlas 5D Chess with Multiverse Time Travel tournament
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 10:10:52 PM »

I'll play. My username is YPestis25 on chess.com.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 10:15:25 PM »

I'm playing again.

My username is still Postgeek49 on Chess.com.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 07:40:37 AM »

I'd like to play, which I hope is ok as owner of the club. My chess.com name is count-Y
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 08:37:23 AM »

I'll play again and my username is ChesIshan on chess.com
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 09:54:15 AM »

I'd love to be involved again
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 01:10:32 PM »

My username is Blazers-1977
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 01:15:57 PM »

lfromnj
X
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 01:26:34 PM »

I would like to reserve a spot.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 02:13:10 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2021, 02:24:04 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

Okay, I'll just need your chess.com accounts.

Spots are filling up fast. After we get 16, I'll allow a temporary grace period to see if we can double the number of players between both sites, but I'd be mighty shocked to find 32 willing players.

I did consider minionofmidas' idea for a Swiss tournament, but that would involve more commitment and turns would have to be 24 hours. Sadly, given that people bow out of these things all the time (and the fact that school is starting), I don't think it would be appropriate for Atlas at this time. Next year I'll probably plan this around spring or early summer.
diptheriadan

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 02:36:56 PM »

Reserving a spot, will fill in info later
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 02:41:12 PM »

DennyCrocker.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 02:43:54 PM »

AAA786786AAA
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 08:37:12 PM »

I'll defend my title but only if it's real time.  I don't want to do correspondence again.

If you want to do it like the real chess world championship, you could also make the winner of this tournament the "challenger", and we could do a best-of-12 blitz match for the title.  That would be more fun IMO.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 08:48:00 PM »

Okay, I'll just need your chess.com accounts.

Spots are filling up fast. After we get 16, I'll allow a temporary grace period to see if we can double the number of players between both sites, but I'd be mighty shocked to find 32 willing players.

I did consider minionofmidas' idea for a Swiss tournament, but that would involve more commitment and turns would have to be 24 hours. Sadly, given that people bow out of these things all the time (and the fact that school is starting), I don't think it would be appropriate for Atlas at this time. Next year I'll probably plan this around spring or early summer.

Its lfromnj
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 09:27:19 PM »

I'll defend my title but only if it's real time.  I don't want to do correspondence again.

If you want to do it like the real chess world championship, you could also make the winner of this tournament the "challenger", and we could do a best-of-12 blitz match for the title.  That would be more fun IMO.

But blitz, classical, and correspondence are in significant ways different games. People who are skilled at one form may not be as good at another. I thought it took a lot away from the classical world championship to introduce rapid games for the tie breaks. One doesn't use classical games to settle a tie for the blitz world championship.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2021, 11:30:34 PM »

I'll defend my title but only if it's real time.  I don't want to do correspondence again.

What muon said, plus we need correspondence in order to accommodate for people's schedules. Real-time matches will just increase the risk of people backing out or missing their turn, thus ending the game.

I found minionofmidas' argument for a Swiss tournament compelling, because that way better players play against each other and less skilled players play against each other. But the same problem exists, especially if people change their mind and don't want to play multiple games with such short time windows.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2021, 11:38:06 PM »

I'll defend my title but only if it's real time.  I don't want to do correspondence again.

What muon said, plus we need correspondence in order to accommodate for people's schedules. Real-time matches will just increase the risk of people backing out or missing their turn, thus ending the game.

I'll pass then.  My offer to do a match with the winner stands, call it what you like.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 12:57:04 AM »

I agree with GMac's idea of having the final be a blitz match. Correspondence doesn't take as much skill since one can spend hours poring over the position.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 03:19:18 AM »

dm me on discord if you have trouble reaching 16
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 05:58:03 AM »

I like General MacArthur's idea for the winner to face him in a series of blitz matches (of course I'm saying this because I doubt I'll win.).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 07:07:12 AM »

I found minionofmidas' argument for a Swiss tournament compelling, because that way better players play against each other and less skilled players play against each other. But the same problem exists, especially if people change their mind and don't want to play multiple games with such short time windows.

Swiss pairings could actually work better than single elimination if players abandon. In a single elimination match holes can open up in the brackets and create unfair advantages in the late rounds. In a Swiss players that abandon are just left off of subsequent pairings. It guarantees that no one near the top gets a bye due to an abandonment unless it happens after pairs have been set.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 07:12:38 AM »

I agree with GMac's idea of having the final be a blitz match. Correspondence doesn't take as much skill since one can spend hours poring over the position.

Being able to concentrate on a position at length is a very specific skill, separate from being able to quickly analyze a position and find a move. Hikaru Nakamura is one of the best rapid and blitz players in the world, but often struggles in top classical events that require deep calculation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies