Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:00:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 49
Author Topic: Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread  (Read 34616 times)
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2021, 02:50:57 PM »

Been a while since I posted on the thread.

Weekend before last, I went to my first Hereford game in 18 months because of the Pandemic, for the opening day game against Farsley Celtic in National League North.
(National League North is "Division 6" for those not in the know!)
We lost 1-0, but had a decent crowd of just over 2000.
It was great just to catch up with people I hadn't seen for a while, drink lots of beer and sing stupid songs.
Some nice photos from the day: http://bullsnews.blogspot.com/2021/08/around-edgar-street.html
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2021, 06:04:37 PM »

Nobody wants Kane at a £150m valuation. We're talking about a guy who isn't even that young and is injured half the time. Lukaku just sold for £97.5m, and Mbappe is reported to be available for £171m, albeit for much higher wages. Haaland enters the market next year for £64m, although his (and fat Mino's) wage demands will be insane and possibly beyond what English clubs other than Man Utd would be willing to pay.

Manchester City probably would be better off waiting until next year and just paying whatever wages Ering Haaland wants rather than breaking both the transfer and wage bank for Harry Kane, in my opinion.
The problem is the wage structure, not the wage budget. Raiola demanded £820k p/w in wages for Haaland from Chelsea, which while may have been an opening offer, represents the kind of challenge it would be to sign him. No player in England earns anywhere near that kind of money, and it would shatter the wage structures of Man City or Chelsea. Players like Lukaku or De Bruyne would not accept earning half the wages of 22 year old Haaland. Man Utd could conceivably do it with their less talented squad and penchant for overpaying players, but even then we'd probably be talking more in the £500k range than the £800k range.

Also, just because the transfer fee would be fixed at €75m next summer, does not mean there won't be huge demands for sign-on fees, bonuses, agent fees, and wages to make up for the reduced fee and how every heavyweight club in Europe is going to try to sign Haaland.

If Mbappe, Ronaldo, or even Lewandowski show up on the market at the same time for "free", good luck finding oxygen in the transfer market for Harry Kane to make a move... he should've gone on strike to force a move now. Nobody on the continent wants him or could afford the fee right now, only 3 clubs in England are suitable destinations for him, and they will all be fighting for Haaland next year, relegating him to a backup plan at best. Players like Jonathan David and Patson Daka are going to become hotter and hotter properties too, and represent much safer investments with upside and sell-on value than Kane.

That 820,000 pounds per week is still less than what Kane is going to make wherever he goes, assuming anyone bids for him.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2021, 08:11:10 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2021, 08:14:13 PM by Santander »

That 820,000 pounds per week is still less than what Kane is going to make wherever he goes, assuming anyone bids for him.
L
O
L

Literally every single post you make in this thread (and elsewhere) is basically the exact opposite of reality. Do you know how many players earn that much in wages? That territory is reserved for Ronaldo, Neymar and Messi. Not even Mbappe earns that much at PSG, although he's been offered close to that amount in his contract renewal. In Ronaldo's case, Fiat subsidizes his wages, and all three of them have massive worldwide commercial appeal that is at least an order of magnitude greater than Kane's. (Just for comparison, fallen stars like Mesut Ozil, James Rodriguez, Isco, Gareth Bale, and Philippe Coutinho all have far more social media followers than Kane)

No club is going to pay Kane (or Haaland, for that matter, at least not now) anywhere near that much, especially not if they have to pay £100m+ to get him. About £400k p/w in line with other top earners in England is his max earning potential. Bale is on £600k at Madrid, but a) Real Madrid is Real Madrid, b) he is a Galactico, and c) he was (and is) more marketable than Kane. For reference, the most marketable British players going forward are probably Sancho and Mount.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2021, 09:09:30 PM »

L
O
L

Literally every single post you make in this thread (and elsewhere) is basically the exact opposite of reality. Do you know how many players earn that much in wages? That territory is reserved for Ronaldo, Neymar and Messi. Not even Mbappe earns that much at PSG, although he's been offered close to that amount in his contract renewal. In Ronaldo's case, Fiat subsidizes his wages, and all three of them have massive worldwide commercial appeal that is at least an order of magnitude greater than Kane's. (Just for comparison, fallen stars like Mesut Ozil, James Rodriguez, Isco, Gareth Bale, and Philippe Coutinho all have far more social media followers than Kane)

No club is going to pay Kane (or Haaland, for that matter, at least not now) anywhere near that much, especially not if they have to pay £100m+ to get him. About £400k p/w in line with other top earners in England is his max earning potential. Bale is on £600k at Madrid, but a) Real Madrid is Real Madrid, b) he is a Galactico, and c) he was (and is) more marketable than Kane. For reference, the most marketable British players going forward are probably Sancho and Mount.

Sancho over Rashford? Really?

As for Mount, you are right on that. That's my favorite British soccer player right now, Mason "Money Mase" Mount....he's cool and he has swag......

As for American players overseas, what about Christian Pulisic of Chelsea?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2021, 09:37:32 PM »

Sancho over Rashford? Really?

As for Mount, you are right on that. That's my favorite British soccer player right now, Mason "Money Mase" Mount....he's cool and he has swag......

As for American players overseas, what about Christian Pulisic of Chelsea?
Rashford is definitely up there too, but I thought Sancho had a higher ceiling.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2021, 10:09:22 AM »

For reference, the most marketable British players going forward are probably Sancho and Mount.

I think that goes to Declan Rice. Will be England Captain in a year or two, easily.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2021, 12:19:33 PM »

UEFA’s new seeding system once again producing some absurd groups (not that I’m complaining from an entertainment point of view). Group A really stands out as the group of death this year.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2021, 01:11:43 PM »

UEFA’s new seeding system once again producing some absurd groups (not that I’m complaining from an entertainment point of view). Group A really stands out as the group of death this year.
Group A is obviously outrageous (bad result against Leipzig and Man City or PSG could end up in the Europa League), but I think Group B is more the Group of Death, as every team is good enough to win the group. Group D is interestingly basically last year's Group B, which was the Group of Death, but with Sheriff replacing Gladbach, which obviously makes things a lot easier. Group C and Group G are actually very interesting and unusual groups for the Champions League.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2021, 01:30:28 PM »

For reference, the most marketable British players going forward are probably Sancho and Mount.

I think that goes to Declan Rice. Will be England Captain in a year or two, easily.

You don't think Kane stays on? He's called Captain Kane for a reason, he is seen as stable, reliable and caring.....

You can add Henderson on that list as well....

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2021, 01:31:25 PM »

If Ronaldo joins Man City, by the way, they're the champs.

Chelsea vs. Man City rematch in May 2022....
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2021, 01:33:14 PM »

You don't think Kane stays on? He's called Captain Kane for a reason, he is seen as stable, reliable and caring.....

Yeah I think Kane will be on the England team for another 5 years, I don't see why he'd get thé captaincy stripped from him.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2021, 01:52:34 PM »

Yeah I think Kane will be on the England team for another 5 years, I don't see why he'd get thé captaincy stripped from him.

It's do or die for Kane, he has to win the World Cup for England in '22 and titles for his own legacy......he must be hurting that Ronaldo is coming to Man City.

Ronaldo will make Man City champs. He just wants to win. Period. Win. Win. Win.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2021, 02:18:21 PM »

Man City are World Champs.

Congratulations to the fans of Man City.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2021, 02:38:02 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2021, 02:44:41 PM by Santander »

PSG is better than Man City in almost every single position.

Icardi > Jesus
Mbappe > Sterling
Messi > Foden/Mahrez
Neymar > De Bruyne
Verratti > Gundogan
Wijnaldum/Paredes < Bernardo
Gana = Fernandinho
Hakimi > Cancelo
Marquinhos/Ramos/Kimpembe > Dias/Stones/Laporte
Bernat = Walker
Donnarumma > Ederson
PSG Bench < Man City Bench
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2021, 03:25:09 PM »

Icardi > Jesus
Mbappe > Sterling
Messi > Foden/Mahrez
Neymar > De Bruyne
Verratti > Gundogan
Gana = Fernandinho
Hakimi > Cancelo
Bernat = Walker
Donnarumma > Ederson

Do you think PSG and Chelsea can match up with them in terms of UEFA championship final?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2021, 04:43:52 PM »

Icardi > Jesus
Mbappe > Sterling
Messi > Foden/Mahrez
Neymar > De Bruyne
Verratti > Gundogan
Gana = Fernandinho
Hakimi > Cancelo
Bernat = Walker
Donnarumma > Ederson

Absolutely

I honestly think PSG are favourites to win the Champions League this season. Go PSG!
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2021, 04:00:09 AM »

UEFA Champions League Groups are out.

My Predictions:

Group A
Manchester City [ENG]
Paris Saint-Germain [FRA]

RB Leipzig [GER]
Club Brugge  [BEL]

Group B
Liverpool [ENG]
Atlético Madrid [ESP]

AC Milan [ITA]
Porto [POR]

Group C
Borussia Dortmund   [GER]
Ajax [NED]

Sporting CP [POR]
Beşiktaş  [TUR]

Group D
Real Madrid [ESP]
Inter Milan  [ITA]

Shakhtar Donetsk  [UKR]
Sheriff Tiraspol    [MDA]

Group E
Bayern Munich [GER]
Barcelona   [ESP]

Benfica   [POR]
Dynamo Kyiv  [UKR]

Group F
Manchester United [ENG]
Villarreal  [ESP]

Atalanta [ITA]
Young Boys  [SUI]

Group G
Sevilla [ESP]
VfL Wolfsburg [GER]

Red Bull Salzburg  [AUT]
Lille [FRA]

Group H
Chelsea  [ENG]
Juventus  [ITA]

Zenit Saint Petersburg [RUS]
Malmö FF [SWE]

Top 2 (advance to the round of 16), 3rd place (sent to Europa League knockout playoffs)
#UCL

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2021, 04:13:40 AM »

I would say the Group of Death is either Group A (PSG, Manchester City, RB Leipzig, Club Brugge) or Group E (Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Benfica, Dynamo Kiev).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »

Ronaldo may come back home---to Man U...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-city-engman_city/story/4462735/cristiano-ronaldo-to-manchester-city-off-manchester-united-now-frontrunners-sources

Either way, one of these teams will win the Premier League: Man U/Man City/Liverpool/Chelsea

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2021, 10:25:24 AM »

It's a shame that a good man like Ben Mee is stuck at Burnley when he could be at a team who is a perennial title contender....

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4086711/mee-on-premier-league-captains-creating-playerstogether-to-help-nhs-during-coronavirus-crisis-we-want-to-do-our-bit
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2021, 10:57:11 AM »

RONALDO COMES HOME

Manchester United

Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho are lucky men....they get to play with the greatest.

He'll push them to the limit---achieve greatness.

Man U is a title contender. Title or bust. Period.

https://clutchpoints.com/cristiano-ronaldo-set-to-return-to-manchester-united/
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2021, 11:44:51 AM »

Man Utd are a legit good team. Full-backs are questionable, but Ronaldo should be getting excellent service from Sancho, Pogba and Fernandes. Now the world will see what a hopeless coach Solksjaer is, because they still won't win anything beyond maybe an FA Cup or Europa League.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2021, 12:53:22 PM »

Man Utd are a legit good team. Full-backs are questionable, but Ronaldo should be getting excellent service from Sancho, Pogba and Fernandes. Now the world will see what a hopeless coach Solksjaer is, because they still won't win anything beyond maybe an FA Cup or Europa League.

Ronaldo won't accept anything less than titles....a treble
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2021, 03:43:21 PM by Lechasseur »

My predictions for the Champions League:

Group A:
1. PSG
2. Manchester City

3. RB Leipzig
4. Club Brugge

Group B:
1. Atletico Madrid
2. AC Milan

3. Liverpool
4. Porto

Group C:
1. Borussia Dortmund
2. Ajax

3. Sporting CP
4. Besiktas

Group D:
1. Real Madrid
2. Inter Milan

3. Shakhtar Donetsk
4. Sheriff Tiraspol

Group E:
1. Bayern Munich
2. Barcelona

3. Benfica
4. Dynamo Kiev

Group F:
1. Manchester United
2. Villarreal

3. Atalanta
4. BSC Young Boys

Group G:
1. Sevilla
2. Wolfsburg

3. RB Salzburg
4. Lille

Group H:
1. Chelsea
2. Juventus

3. Zenit St Petersburg
4. Malmo FF
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2021, 03:41:23 PM »

And seriously the draw this year was awful, arguably everyone in Groups A and B should be Round of 16 teams except for Bruges, while at the same time they come up with Group G which is a group fit for the Europa League, not the Champions League (frankly I don't see any of them as Round of 16 quality teams).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies