Jeopardy! Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:21:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Jeopardy! Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jeopardy! Megathread  (Read 9143 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 05, 2021, 02:11:08 PM »

Who prefers Mike Richards other than Mike Richards? If you want someone associated with the show, why not go with the most obvious choice and the most famous such living person?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 05:30:14 PM »

Anderson Cooper was my favorite of the guest hosts but I could see him not wanting it.

If Trump hadn't won, then I'm 100% sure that it would've been him. The leaked emails showed that Sony wanted him & that he wanted the job. Of course, then the 45th President happened, & polarization means that they can't pick him now.

He was toxic the minute he started the birther stuff in the late 00s. But if he'd never done that and never gotten involved in politics, then ... maybe?

This is either very funny or an absolutely wild alternate universe.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 09:28:03 PM »

I really don’t think this is going to appeal to…practically anyone. I find it hard to believe that Richards is anyone’s first choice.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 12:02:35 PM »

Richards has officially been confirmed by Sony, with Mayim Bialik confirmed to host some other iterations (spin-offs? Tournaments? Who knows). Hopefully Matt Amodio outlasts him.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 03:04:07 PM »

So while the Richards thing does kind of scream conflict of interest I can't say it's a bad choice because he did in fat do a very good job, and the guy does have a lot of special charisma despite previously having a behind the scenes role. The video statement he made after the death of Alex Trebek showed that even before his guest host stint. My favorite guest host was Anderson Cooper but I'd imagine he probably wouldn't want it as a full time gig.

I think Bialik was alright but nothing amazing, but she makes sense on a few levels, they obviously want a woman for some role for the press and she was probably the best female guest host, and her science background is pretty well suited for it as well.

Richards has also been involved in legal trouble about harassment during his time as executive producer of Jeopardy and The Price Is Right, which in itself knocks him down several pegs and explains further their reasoning for hiring Bialik.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 09:53:06 AM »

So looks like Richards is indeed out.

Hopefully either Jennings or Burton gets the selection.

Burton sadly didn’t do a great job during his hosting week. I think Jennings and Bialik are the frontrunners at this point, assuming her hiring was for more reasons than just trying to stave off the Richards backlash.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 10:38:50 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2021, 12:08:06 PM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

Burton sadly didn’t do a great job during his hosting week. I think Jennings and Bialik are the frontrunners at this point, assuming her hiring was for more reasons than just trying to stave off the Richards backlash.

Am aware it's unlikely, but I personally still thought Burton could have the highest ceiling if he gets used to the role despite the bad week. I agree those two are probably the main competitors at this point.

Yes, I think he really does have potential and if he’s invited back to guest host and prepared well this time (which IIRC he didn’t last time by his own admission) he could do really well (although perhaps not if Richards is still manipulating things behind the scenes).

Maybe they’ll bring on Jimmy and Sarah from the show, who’ve done some behind-the-scenes extra interviews for the YouTube channel and read categories before.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 05:58:51 PM »

So guessing it's gonna be the anti vax big bang theory actress? Yuck

Still hoping for Ken Jennings but she’s definitely a frontrunner.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 01:25:03 PM »

Did they film any episodes with him as the "permanent" host? And if so, are those going to air?

Here's a cold take for everyone - Bialik's past comments about vaccines are more disqualifying than at least what's been publicly revealed about Richards.

They filmed at least one week's worth of shows with him as the permanent host, and they've announced that those will air; if they didn't, it would impact the show's continuity in the middle of one of the all-time great runs by Matt, the current champion.  I'm wondering if they might redub Johnny Gilbert's introduction to call him the "guest host" instead of "host".

Or just “executive producer” like on his original run.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 02:32:34 PM »

Other sources are saying Jennings is the definite frontrunner.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 11:43:29 AM »

Richards is now out as executive producer of both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 07:55:42 AM »

Rumor has it that former Tournament of Champions winner Buzzy Cohen might be in contention for the permanent hosting gig: https://www.newsweek.com/buzzy-cohen-emerges-unlikely-jeopardy-host-frontrunner-1627790

I think he’d be good, but I don’t see how it’s not Mayim Bialik at this point, or maybe an outside chance for Jennings.

Anyway, today’s the day!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 04:29:02 PM »

Bialik and Jennings will cover hosting duties for the rest of this year, with Jennings (apparently) filling in when Bialik is unavailable.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 08:38:07 PM »

MILLION DOLLAR MATT.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 02:31:22 PM »

Crying for Matt. He’s keeping the flame alive.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »

Absolutely devastated by today’s result.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 10:46:15 AM »

Jonathan won his 5th game today, for a 5-day total of $117,700: not only does this mean that he's formally clinched a ToC spot, but it also means that he managed to literally sweep an entire tape-day after having already managed in his very 1st game to defeat a GOAT, both of which are very impressive accomplishments in their own right, not to mention together!!

We’ll see if he makes it ten today! Hoping we see our first back-to-back double-digit champions!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »

Now all he needs is 29 more…
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2021, 02:31:01 AM »

Second-highest losing final score ever was set yesterday! Really great game all around.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 03:55:05 PM »

Excellent game tonight.  Andrew is a formidable player.  Ken is looking a lot more comfortable in the host role as well.

I’m loving that we’re having this sudden run of ToC-level players since Matt. And Andrew’s games are so exciting!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 09:57:46 PM »

RIP to Andrew but congrats to the second ever openly trans Jeopardy champion!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2022, 10:53:08 AM »

Just watched yesterday’s game. Left a really bad taste in my mouth, especially since I have slow and poor handwriting due in part to my visual impairment.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2022, 04:42:21 PM »

I mean, would anyone be complaining if they had accepted it? Would the person who won because they didn't accept it have cried foul?

Look, I have penmanship that bad, and I'm pretty sure that it would not be accepted on Final Jeopardy.

Then again, Final Jeopardy should join the rest of the game and be verbal answers only (with exceptions being granted for contestants who are deaf/mute).

I don’t see what the issue would be with using (or at least allowing) a keyboard.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies