Jeopardy! Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:03:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Jeopardy! Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: Jeopardy! Megathread  (Read 8757 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2021, 11:39:43 AM »
« edited: September 05, 2021, 08:42:41 PM by brucejoel99 »

OnePoll online survey of "a nationally representative sample of 1,003 Americans" on who should be the new permanent host of Jeopardy!, conducted "in July 2021" following "the initial broadcast of Burton's debut episode on Monday, July 26:"

https://www.onepoll.us/should-the-search-for-a-new-jeopardy-host-end-with-levar-burton/

Ken Jennings: 23%
Mike Richards: 14%
LeVar Burton: 10%
Mayim Bialik: 8%
Aaron Rodgers: 5%
Katie Couric: 5%
Anderson Cooper: 5%
Dr. Oz: 4%
Robin Roberts: 3%
George Stephanopoulos: 2%
David Faber: 1%

Excluding Faber, whose result was mentioned in passing as part of the poll's press release, the results for all other hosts not in the top-10 (e.g., Buzzy Cohen, Bill Whitaker, Savannah Guthrie, Dr. Sanjay Gupta) just weren't reported on at all.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 12:16:42 PM »

Probably Ken will get it, which is fitting. Though I still think Cooper did a better job. I was also pleasantly surprised with Savannah Guthrie. Really most of the news personalities have done well, better than Ken honestly in terms of polish at least. But Ken can grow into the role, he’s the most natural successor, the one who doesn’t have anything better to do, and probably the one they can get cheapest. (It was always ridiculous to think Aaron Rodgers could be the permanent host for these reasons, and I thought he was overrated anyway.) All that plus Ken being a fan favorite and safe pick who already has the most experience under his belt means he should be the hands down favorite. Really, I think this endless stream of celebrity guest hosts is meant more to soften the transition between Alex and Ken than anything. I’m not sure it was necessary though, they could probably have just jumped right to him and stuck with him.

Also, I think LeVar Burton flopped hard and was a big disappointment after all the hype built up around him.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 01:57:00 PM »

Ken did a good job and will probably get it, and I'm fine with that.  I thought Mike Richards, Buzzy Cohen, Mayim Bialik, and Anderson Cooper all did at least as well as Ken, and I'd be happy with any of them too (although I'm sure Cooper wouldn't leave his current gig).
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »

My preferred choice would be Ken Jennings. I think someone serious is required for the role.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 04:42:48 PM »

Geordie needs to go to the Holodeck and practice.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 05:42:49 PM »

Agree with the poll and the above posters that Jennings is likely to get the permanent nod.  He did well, and his intimate ties with Jeopardy always made him the probable choice. 

My personal favorite is Mayim Bialik.  She stood out as the intellect that she is--and she came across as enthusiastic and gracious throughout her tenure.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 05:44:19 PM »

Agree with the poll and the above posters that Jennings is likely to get the permanent nod.  He did well, and his intimate ties with Jeopardy always made him the probable choice. 

My personal favorite is Mayim Bialik.  She stood out as the intellect that she is--and she came across as enthusiastic and gracious throughout her tenure.

Agreed.  She seemed to be having fun as well as doing a good job.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 07:39:38 PM »

If Ken Jennings wants it, he should get it.

Otherwise, I don't think Brad Rutter or James Holzhauer would say no if Jeopardy asked either of them if they were interested in being the new host...
Proud Houstonian
Proud Houstianan
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 07:47:03 PM »

poor levar
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 08:42:30 PM »

If Ken Jennings wants it, he should get it.

Otherwise, I don't think Brad Rutter or James Holzhauer would say no if Jeopardy asked either of them if they were interested in being the new host...

Ken definitely wants it. James would be a terrible host. Brad maybe would be OK but he’s nowhere near as famous as Ken.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 01:02:04 AM »

I could host it. Imagine an "alt-right song lyrics" category.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 04:46:24 PM »

Buzzy and Bialik were good. I think Ken benefitted from hosting for six weeks as opposed to the others who have only done a week or two. I’d be happy with any of those three as the permanent hosts.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 05:24:54 PM »

Well hell, looks like the most likely candidate according to leaks of negotiations is actually Mike Richards:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-alex-trebek-1235034673/

This is pretty surprising to me. I figured he was just filling in for Ken for a couple weeks, never thought a producer would step in front of the camera full-time. But I guess you never should bet against someone who plays a role in hiring himself!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 06:26:12 PM »

Well hell, looks like the most likely candidate according to leaks of negotiations is actually Mike Richards:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-alex-trebek-1235034673/

This is pretty surprising to me. I figured he was just filling in for Ken for a couple weeks, never thought a producer would step in front of the camera full-time.

He was, because Ken was scheduled to host for 8 weeks but became unavailable for the 2/22-3/5 tapings at the last-minute. Rising from "not even originally slotted to be a guest-host" to "new permanent host" is a plot-twist, to be sure.

But I guess you never should bet against someone who plays a role in hiring himself!

This is what we refer to as a "Dick Cheney," kids!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 09:10:59 PM »

This is pretty surprising to me. I figured he was just filling in for Ken for a couple weeks, never thought a producer would step in front of the camera full-time. But I guess you never should bet against someone who plays a role in hiring himself!

Oh, that's Mike Richards?

I was hoping they meant Kramer.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 09:14:30 PM »

Richards wouldn't be my first choice, but he was certainly among the group I thought would be acceptable as a permanent host.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine predicted this as the outcome after only a few guest hosts had aired.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 11:18:58 AM »

I was hoping for Aaron Rodgers, but I figured it wasn't happening once he suddenly went back to the Packers.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 12:09:45 PM »

Anderson Cooper was my favorite of the guest hosts but I could see him not wanting it. Richards was great though and I'd be fine with him.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 12:26:23 PM »

I was hoping for Aaron Rodgers, but I figured it wasn't happening once he suddenly went back to the Packers.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 02:11:08 PM »

Who prefers Mike Richards other than Mike Richards? If you want someone associated with the show, why not go with the most obvious choice and the most famous such living person?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 03:28:15 PM »

Anderson Cooper was my favorite of the guest hosts but I could see him not wanting it.

If Trump hadn't won, then I'm 100% sure that it would've been him. The leaked emails showed that Sony wanted him & that he wanted the job. Of course, then the 45th President happened, & polarization means that they can't pick him now.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 04:37:55 PM »

Anderson Cooper was my favorite of the guest hosts but I could see him not wanting it.

If Trump hadn't won, then I'm 100% sure that it would've been him. The leaked emails showed that Sony wanted him & that he wanted the job. Of course, then the 45th President happened, & polarization means that they can't pick him now.

He was toxic the minute he started the birther stuff in the late 00s. But if he'd never done that and never gotten involved in politics, then ... maybe?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 05:30:14 PM »

He was toxic the minute he started the birther stuff in the late 00s. But if he'd never done that and never gotten involved in politics, then ... maybe?

This is either very funny or an absolutely wild alternate universe.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 08:57:45 PM »

Forgive me: I was referring to Cooper, rather than Trump in an alternate universe in which The Celebrity Apprentice was the peak of his fame. Cooper would've been a fine permanent pick but, y'know, CNN is fake news to half of America now.

Also, it turns out that Richards is 1000x more sleazy & smarmy than his being the show's Dick Cheney already served to render him: his claim of "just being a last-minute fill-in" for the 2/22-3/5 tapings was a lie, & proves that he evidently angled for this from the very beginning, all the while having pretended to play nothing more than a mere reluctant hero.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 09:28:03 PM »

I really don’t think this is going to appeal to…practically anyone. I find it hard to believe that Richards is anyone’s first choice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies