Jeopardy! Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:41:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Jeopardy! Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Jeopardy! Megathread  (Read 9108 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2021, 05:44:52 PM »

If it wasn't already a given, per TVLine:

According to sources, Bialik's Call Me Kat duties preclude her from succeeding Richards as full-time host.

OK, I withdraw the prediction (happily, because although I think she'd do a good job as host, I'd rather see Ken get it).
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2021, 03:09:16 PM »

Here's a little game of Jeopardy to help pick the next host

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-jeopardy-board-for-determining-who-should-be-the-next-host-of-jeopardy
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2021, 01:48:46 PM »

Apparently Bialik also thinks babies born via C-section are not evolutionarily favored and should "pass peacefully." What an awful woman. Idc what that Richards guy said, unless he literally committed some kind of felony it's not as bad as this garbage. Truly a horrid person, and of course an ultra Zionist to boot.

https://www.mic.com/p/mayim-bialiks-history-of-science-skepticism-makes-her-a-bizarre-choice-for-jeopardy-84142273
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2021, 02:36:06 PM by HisGrace »

"Calling a woman a slut years ago is orders of magnitude worse than being an anti-vaxxer" is a strange message to send to the Jeopardy fanbase. [Assuming there's not more to the Richards story they're keeping under wraps.]

Apparently Bialik also thinks babies born via C-section are not evolutionarily favored and should "pass peacefully." What an awful woman. Idc what that Richards guy said, unless he literally committed some kind of felony it's not as bad as this garbage. Truly a horrid person, and of course an ultra Zionist to boot.

https://www.mic.com/p/mayim-bialiks-history-of-science-skepticism-makes-her-a-bizarre-choice-for-jeopardy-84142273

Richards sexually harassed women on set when he produced The Price is Right and was accused of discriminating against pregnant women in employment. I don't care about the jokes on his podcast, but that stuff should be fireable. Actions should draw harsher punishments than words.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2021, 04:33:31 PM »

"Calling a woman a slut years ago is orders of magnitude worse than being an anti-vaxxer" is a strange message to send to the Jeopardy fanbase. [Assuming there's not more to the Richards story they're keeping under wraps.]

Richards sexually harassed women on set when he produced The Price is Right and was accused of discriminating against pregnant women in employment. I don't care about the jokes on his podcast, but that stuff should be fireable. Actions should draw harsher punishments than words.

That's bad of him, but not as bad as saying I and my whole nuclear family should have been stillborn.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2021, 08:49:07 PM »

Beautiful! The two worst hosts have been eliminated!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2021, 11:43:29 AM »

Richards is now out as executive producer of both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2021, 12:03:12 PM »

Richards is now out as executive producer of both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.

Hallelujah, praise the lord!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2021, 12:22:17 PM »

Sony did the right thing here.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2021, 08:41:25 PM »

The 1st S38 promo has dropped online, featuring a glimpse at the show's new, blue background set, in addition to the obligatory "Matt Amodio returns" hype, with no host-allusions whatsoever, literally just showing an empty-lectern shot lol
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2021, 03:07:19 PM »

Contestants who taped during Mike's week weren't sent their customary photo-with-the-host:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2021, 05:24:14 PM »

Contestants who taped during Mike's week weren't sent their customary photo-with-the-host:

This implies that Matt's run continues through the week, or there would be more than 11 contestants (one returning champion plus two newcomers each day).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2021, 06:27:46 PM »

This implies that Matt's run continues through the week, or there would be more than 11 contestants (one returning champion plus two newcomers each day).

Nope, there are always 11 contestants in any given week: 2 new contestants each day regardless of who won the day before, & the returning champion, who isn't counted again for that week because they already counted for the week in their 1st appearance. The only exceptions are when nobody is eligible or able to return in the next episode, or in the since-eliminated-by-rule-changes co-champs of yesteryear. In any event, Matt could lose on Mon. or go on to win 75 games of his own, & there'd still be 11 weekly contestants.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2021, 06:33:08 PM »

Nope, there are always 11 contestants in any given week: 2 new contestants each day regardless of who won the day before, & the returning champion, who isn't counted again for that week because they already counted for the week in their 1st appearance. The only exceptions are when nobody is eligible or able to return in the next episode, or in the since-eliminated-by-rule-changes co-champs of yesteryear. In any event, Matt could lose on Mon. or go on to win 75 games of his own, & there'd still be 11 weekly contestants.

Duh, you're right of course.  I was thinking that it meant there would be one returning champion for the entire week.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2021, 08:56:09 PM »

This is admittedly moreso Jeopardy!-adjacent news rather than J! news in & of itself, but at least Richards managed to get something right on his way out: he's bringing Merv's iconic Wheel theme, "Changing Keys," back after 21 years off the air.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2021, 08:09:01 PM »

New ad implying that Matt won some games at Mike's taping, because they probably wouldn't be putting a hype ad that primes #ChasingJames to become a legit thing out if he's just gonna lose on Mon. or Tues. The ad also serves as the first confirmation that Johnny Gilbert will indeed be back for S38 - & thank god for that! - after a June AP article in which he said that he wasn't yet sure whether or not he'd be back came out:

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2021, 11:10:16 PM »

This is admittedly moreso Jeopardy!-adjacent news rather than J! news in & of itself, but at least Richards managed to get something right on his way out: he's bringing Merv's iconic Wheel theme, "Changing Keys," back after 21 years off the air.

Now if they can only bring back the ceramic Dalmatian.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2021, 08:03:59 PM »

New ad implying that Matt won some games at Mike's taping, because they probably wouldn't be putting a hype ad that primes #ChasingJames to become a legit thing out if he's just gonna lose on Mon. or Tues. The ad also serves as the first confirmation that Johnny Gilbert will indeed be back for S38 - & thank god for that! - after a June AP article in which he said that he wasn't yet sure whether or not he'd be back came out:

Isn't Johnny Gilbert in his 90s? He's been the announcer of Jeopardy since it premiered in 1984.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2021, 08:25:44 PM »

Isn't Johnny Gilbert in his 90s? He's been the announcer of Jeopardy! since it premiered in 1984.

Don Pardo was the original announcer back during the original Art Fleming era. But yeah, Gilbert has been with the revival since it started in 1984.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2021, 08:30:39 PM »

Isn't Johnny Gilbert in his 90s? He's been the announcer of Jeopardy! since it premiered in 1984.

Don Pardo was the original announcer back during the original Art Fleming era. But yeah, Gilbert has been with the revival since it started in 1984.

I'm aware that Jeopardy had an earlier version. I was specifically referring to the current version.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2021, 08:37:22 PM »

By the way, in a bizarre coincidence, both Art Fleming and Alex Trebec died of pancreatic cancer
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2021, 08:42:06 PM »

Rumor has it that former Tournament of Champions winner Buzzy Cohen might be in contention for the permanent hosting gig: https://www.newsweek.com/buzzy-cohen-emerges-unlikely-jeopardy-host-frontrunner-1627790
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2021, 10:04:57 PM »

Yes, Johnny Gilbert is 93 years old. At one of my Jeopardy! auditions the crew went on at length about what an awesome person he is.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2021, 07:55:42 AM »

Rumor has it that former Tournament of Champions winner Buzzy Cohen might be in contention for the permanent hosting gig: https://www.newsweek.com/buzzy-cohen-emerges-unlikely-jeopardy-host-frontrunner-1627790

I think he’d be good, but I don’t see how it’s not Mayim Bialik at this point, or maybe an outside chance for Jennings.

Anyway, today’s the day!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2021, 11:51:53 AM »

I think he’d be good, but I don’t see how it’s not Mayim Bialik at this point, or maybe an outside chance for Jennings.

Anyway, today’s the day!

Bialik literally can't take the job unless she leaves Call me Kat, or it gets cancelled.

My guess is that it will be a woman, and Bialik will be phased out (with Call me Kat being the official excuse in favor of having a single host.

I still think the best choices in that vein are Meredith Vieria (Former host of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and Today, currently hosting 25 Words or Less), Elizabeth Banks (Actress, currently hosting Press Your Luck, so we know she's willing to make room in her schedule for hosting game shows) and Vanna White (the co-hostess of Wheel of Fortune, her job is literally unnecessary on Wheel, given the electronic board. Either she should be offered the hosting position on Jeopardy, or she should be offered Johnny Gilbert's job (the chances of Johnny making it through any given season at 93 are less than 50-50, quite frankly.))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies