Jeopardy! Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:19:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Jeopardy! Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Jeopardy! Megathread  (Read 9142 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2021, 05:57:03 PM »

So guessing it's gonna be the anti vax big bang theory actress? Yuck
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2021, 05:58:51 PM »

Still hoping for Ken Jennings but she’s definitely a frontrunner.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2021, 05:59:59 PM »

Call this "cancel culture" all you want, but I don't think he was a very popular choice even before this controversy became relevant again. And he's still an executive producer on the program, so don't feel too bad.

The position of Jeopardy host is an institution and viewers probably want someone who feels like a better filler of Trebek's shoes, even if doing so completely is impossible. I don't really know who that could be though. I agree with Horus that it probably shouldn't be Mayim Bialik either. I'm not sure why her anti-vax past hasn't been dredged up more though.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »

There is an extensive thread on Jeopardy! and the host search in Off-Topic at https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=457075.0.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2021, 06:02:24 PM »

She's vaccinated.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2021, 06:03:00 PM »

Still hoping for Ken Jennings but she’s definitely a frontrunner.

Supposedly they actually offered her the job first and she turned it down except for the specials, so doubt she wants it. Still a chance Ken gets it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2021, 06:03:49 PM »

If that TMZ report about Sony wanting her for the daily syndicated version but not being able to get her availability-wise due to her sitcom is true, then I can't see her getting it, since this situation hasn't actually changed her availability sitcom-wise. I imagine it'll have to be Ken, given his in-studio presence, his "controversies" being nothing compared to Richards', those reports of him being Alex's preferred successor (leaning into which could be great PR for Sony after this whole sh*tshow), & his frank professionalism through all of this in spite of having been screwed over & treated like sh*t by Mike.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2021, 07:48:45 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2021, 07:59:29 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

Mike Richards says he is stepping aside as the new daytime host of "Jeopardy!" after a series of sexist remarks he made in the past resurfaced earlier this week.

Richards, who has been the executive producer of "Jeopardy!" since 2020, was named the new daily host of the long-running game show earlier this month. Actress Mayim Bialik was named as the host for the game show's primetime events and tournaments.

"Over the last several days it has become clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right move for the show. As such, I will be stepping down as host effective immediately," Richards said in a statement to "Jeopardy!" staff obtained by The Ringer and CNN. "As a result, we will be cancelling production today."

Since being named the permanent host of "Jeopardy!," Richards' past has come under scrutiny — including a workplace discrimination lawsuit that was levied against him during his time as a producer on "The Price is Right."
WTKR

I thought Jennings was supposed to be a shoe-in for this job? Why was he tossed aside and why do they keep teasing us?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2021, 07:57:33 PM »

If that TMZ report about Sony wanting her for the daily syndicated version but not being able to get her availability-wise due to her sitcom is true, then I can't see her getting it, since this situation hasn't actually changed her availability sitcom-wise. I imagine it'll have to be Ken, given his in-studio presence, his "controversies" being nothing compared to Richards', those reports of him being Alex's preferred successor (leaning into which could be great PR for Sony after this whole sh*tshow), & his frank professionalism through all of this in spite of having been screwed over & treated like sh*t by Mike.

I really hope so.

I also liked David Faber, Anderson Cooper, Savannah Guthrie, and others as host. But Ken has always just seemed like the most logical and natural fit.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2021, 10:19:38 PM »

Mike Richards says he is stepping aside as the new daytime host of "Jeopardy!" after a series of sexist remarks he made in the past resurfaced earlier this week.

Richards, who has been the executive producer of "Jeopardy!" since 2020, was named the new daily host of the long-running game show earlier this month. Actress Mayim Bialik was named as the host for the game show's primetime events and tournaments.

"Over the last several days it has become clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right move for the show. As such, I will be stepping down as host effective immediately," Richards said in a statement to "Jeopardy!" staff obtained by The Ringer and CNN. "As a result, we will be cancelling production today."

Since being named the permanent host of "Jeopardy!," Richards' past has come under scrutiny — including a workplace discrimination lawsuit that was levied against him during his time as a producer on "The Price is Right."
WTKR

I thought Jennings was supposed to be a shoe-in for this job? Why was he tossed aside and why do they keep teasing us?

I'd be happy if Richards was also fired as a producer.

At this point the only correct move is to give Biyalk (or another woman) the full-time hosting gig.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2021, 10:23:57 PM »

Call this "cancel culture" all you want, but I don't think he was a very popular choice even before this controversy became relevant again. And he's still an executive producer on the program, so don't feel too bad.

The position of Jeopardy host is an institution and viewers probably want someone who feels like a better filler of Trebek's shoes, even if doing so completely is impossible. I don't really know who that could be though. I agree with Horus that it probably shouldn't be Mayim Bialik either. I'm not sure why her anti-vax past hasn't been dredged up more though.

The only for Sony to make this right is to fire Richards as Executive producer and bring in a full time female host. I agree that Bialik isn't a good fit...and frankly I'd let her go too if she really is anti-vax, but someone like Meredith Vieira, with her past experience on Who Wants to be a Millionaire would be a good choice.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2021, 01:11:45 AM »

WTKR

I heard he didn't want it (because of the exclusivity contract stuff, he's very active on other game shows) but also heard he implied he did want it....so who knows.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2021, 01:34:31 AM »

At least I don't have to listen to him do that corny spiel ever again.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2021, 02:41:59 AM »

The only for Sony to make this right is to fire Richards as Executive producer and bring in a full time female host. I agree that Bialik isn't a good fit...and frankly I'd let her go too if she really is anti-vax, but someone like Meredith Vieira, with her past experience on Who Wants to be a Millionaire would be a good choice.
Meredith is older than LeVar, so I doubt either would get the job, as I think Sony will want someone in their 40s or 50s who could host for a couple decades.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2021, 03:05:00 AM »

Quote from: Wikipedia
In a 2009 interview, Bialik said of her family: "We are a non-vaccinating family, but I make no claims about people's individual decisions. We based ours on research and discussions with our pediatrician, and we've been happy with that decision, but obviously there's a lot of controversy about it".[87] In October 2020, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, she said that though she had not received a vaccination in 30 years, she planned to be vaccinated against both the flu and the coronavirus and that her children had received all required vaccinations.[88]

Really don't think she would be great in the role there. I wasn't impressed by many of the guest hosts at all and I actually thought Mike did an alright job at the time. I might go with Ken but I'm not sure he's got the right voice for it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2021, 07:10:55 AM »

At least I don't have to listen to him do that corny spiel ever again.

Sony's already indicated that shows he'd already recorded would be aired, so until they've finished with the shows he taped, you get to still listen.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2021, 09:18:11 AM »

Buzzy Rogers and Jen Kennings are the best men for the job IMHO
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2021, 11:53:28 AM »

Did they film any episodes with him as the "permanent" host? And if so, are those going to air?

Here's a cold take for everyone - Bialik's past comments about vaccines are more disqualifying than at least what's been publicly revealed about Richards.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2021, 12:27:31 PM »

Did they film any episodes with him as the "permanent" host? And if so, are those going to air?

Here's a cold take for everyone - Bialik's past comments about vaccines are more disqualifying than at least what's been publicly revealed about Richards.

They filmed at least one week's worth of shows with him as the permanent host, and they've announced that those will air; if they didn't, it would impact the show's continuity in the middle of one of the all-time great runs by Matt, the current champion.  I'm wondering if they might redub Johnny Gilbert's introduction to call him the "guest host" instead of "host".
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2021, 01:25:03 PM »

They filmed at least one week's worth of shows with him as the permanent host, and they've announced that those will air; if they didn't, it would impact the show's continuity in the middle of one of the all-time great runs by Matt, the current champion.  I'm wondering if they might redub Johnny Gilbert's introduction to call him the "guest host" instead of "host".

Or just “executive producer” like on his original run.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2021, 01:47:33 PM »

Mayim Bialik to be first guest host of new weekday Jeopardy! episodes.

I'd put money on her becoming the permanent host at this point.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2021, 02:22:11 PM »

"Calling a woman a slut years ago is orders of magnitude worse than being an anti-vaxxer" is a strange message to send to the Jeopardy fanbase. [Assuming there's not more to the Richards story they're keeping under wraps.]
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2021, 02:32:34 PM »

Other sources are saying Jennings is the definite frontrunner.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2021, 03:03:20 PM »

I really wouldn't, just because this situation hasn't actually served to change her availability with regards to her Fox sitcom, which was why they weren't able to go with her for the permanent job in the first place. I'd presume that it's Ken, not just for the reasons that I've previously discussed here in this thread, but because the recent reports indicated that it's him too.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2021, 05:26:44 PM »

If it wasn't already a given, per TVLine:

According to sources, Bialik's Call Me Kat duties preclude her from succeeding Richards as full-time host.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies