Jeopardy! Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:40:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Jeopardy! Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: Jeopardy! Megathread  (Read 9072 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2021, 04:03:34 AM »

I'm inclined to believe the right thing to do was either hire Pat Sajak, or put the show to bed without Alex.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2021, 07:56:46 AM »

I'm inclined to believe the right thing to do was either hire Pat Sajak, or put the show to bed without Alex.

I think ending the show is the very last thing Alex would have wanted.  He always said (and I believe meant it) that the show was about the players, not him.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2021, 11:44:55 AM »

Pat Sajak would not work at all for Jeopardy. He's way too bubbly. Works fine for Wheel of Fortune, but Jeopardy aims for a more subdued, classy, intellectual, almost "elitist" vibe. Alex was perfect for that because he came off like a college professor or something. He was believable as the guy who knew it all, and could be both charismatic and acerbic when necessary. Again, perfect for the show. Pat Sajak would be a horrible fit because I don't think he would have the same bite and aura at all; he seems more like a used car salesman than a college professor. Mike at least seems to know how to imitate Alex decently enough, although I wasn't terribly impressed with his two week stint.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2021, 02:33:15 PM »

Personally I would have gone with Jennings
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 12:02:35 PM »

Richards has officially been confirmed by Sony, with Mayim Bialik confirmed to host some other iterations (spin-offs? Tournaments? Who knows). Hopefully Matt Amodio outlasts him.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2021, 01:04:47 PM »

Richards has officially been confirmed by Sony, with Mayim Bialik confirmed to host some other iterations (spin-offs? Tournaments? Who knows). Hopefully Matt Amodio outlasts him.
Bialik will host the prime time specials and things and a sort of spinoff of a college tournament set to start next year on ABC.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2021, 01:14:56 PM »

So while the Richards thing does kind of scream conflict of interest I can't say it's a bad choice because he did in fat do a very good job, and the guy does have a lot of special charisma despite previously having a behind the scenes role. The video statement he made after the death of Alex Trebek showed that even before his guest host stint. My favorite guest host was Anderson Cooper but I'd imagine he probably wouldn't want it as a full time gig.

I think Bialik was alright but nothing amazing, but she makes sense on a few levels, they obviously want a woman for some role for the press and she was probably the best female guest host, and her science background is pretty well suited for it as well.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2021, 01:19:53 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2021, 01:26:16 PM by ERM64man »

The Mike Richards with two Stanley Cup rings would be a better choice than the executive producer.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2021, 03:04:07 PM »

So while the Richards thing does kind of scream conflict of interest I can't say it's a bad choice because he did in fat do a very good job, and the guy does have a lot of special charisma despite previously having a behind the scenes role. The video statement he made after the death of Alex Trebek showed that even before his guest host stint. My favorite guest host was Anderson Cooper but I'd imagine he probably wouldn't want it as a full time gig.

I think Bialik was alright but nothing amazing, but she makes sense on a few levels, they obviously want a woman for some role for the press and she was probably the best female guest host, and her science background is pretty well suited for it as well.

Richards has also been involved in legal trouble about harassment during his time as executive producer of Jeopardy and The Price Is Right, which in itself knocks him down several pegs and explains further their reasoning for hiring Bialik.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2021, 04:08:24 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2021, 08:09:37 PM by brucejoel99 »

If they were always gonna do one host for the daily syndicated program & another for prime-time tournaments, the perfect gift horses were quite literally standing right there the whole time staring at them in the mouth:

Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2021, 06:55:30 PM »

Mike Richards and Mayim Bialik were two of my least favorite hosts.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2021, 08:08:22 PM »

If they were always gonna do one host for the daily syndicated program & another for prime-time tournaments, the perfect gift horses were quite literally standing right there the whole time staring at them in the mouth:

I heard that the job was basically Jennings' if he wanted it but he didn't, because it would require an exclusivity contract preventing him from appearing on other game shows as he often does.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2021, 08:51:34 PM »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOTEhkLUcAE_mWw?format=jpg

I heard that the job was basically Jennings' if he wanted it but he didn't, because it would require an exclusivity contract preventing him from appearing on other game shows as he often does.

Don't know where you heard that. Judging by his podcast comments & Twitter activity, Ken clearly wanted the job.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2021, 08:00:24 PM »

The news has been pretty f**king grim this week, but we've now been fortunately blessed with low-stakes schadenfreude:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/8/18/22631299/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-search-process-past-comments

Y'know, I didn't actually dislike him when he guest-hosted, as I thought that he did a serviceable-enough job in the role & I actually bought his lie that he was just a last-minute emergency fill-in who, although running the search for the new host, wasn't an actual contender for the permanent job. But now, though, anybody who's been paying attention to talk of this process on here surely knows by now that I've not liked the prospect of him hosting ever since it became an apparent likelihood with that Variety report. And yet still, every single piece of information that has since come about him has somehow only served to make me hate him even more than I already did. It'd honestly be amazing if it weren't infuriating.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2021, 09:30:17 PM »

The news has been pretty f**king grim this week, but we've now been fortunately blessed with low-stakes schadenfreude:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/8/18/22631299/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-search-process-past-comments

Y'know, I didn't actually dislike him when he guest-hosted, as I thought that he did a serviceable-enough job in the role & I actually bought his lie that he was just a last-minute emergency fill-in who, although running the search for the new host, wasn't an actual contender for the permanent job. But now, though, anybody who's been paying attention to talk of this process on here surely knows by now that I've not liked the prospect of him hosting ever since it became an apparent likelihood with that Variety report. And yet still, every single piece of information that has since come about him has somehow only served to make me hate him even more than I already did. It'd honestly be amazing if it weren't infuriating.

Despite my well-documented distaste for cancel culture, it would be nice if for once it takes down a very deserving target in time to get the right man for the job (Ken) in place. Of course they tried to cancel Ken in the first place for absolute bulls--t which might be part of the reason we're in this situation.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2021, 09:30:07 AM »

Our 1-week national nightmare is over!!

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2021, 09:32:35 AM »

So looks like Richards is indeed out.

Hopefully either Jennings or Burton gets the selection.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2021, 09:53:06 AM »

So looks like Richards is indeed out.

Hopefully either Jennings or Burton gets the selection.

Burton sadly didn’t do a great job during his hosting week. I think Jennings and Bialik are the frontrunners at this point, assuming her hiring was for more reasons than just trying to stave off the Richards backlash.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2021, 09:56:48 AM »

Burton sadly didn’t do a great job during his hosting week. I think Jennings and Bialik are the frontrunners at this point, assuming her hiring was for more reasons than just trying to stave off the Richards backlash.

Am aware it's unlikely, but I personally still thought Burton could have the highest ceiling if he gets used to the role despite the bad week. I agree those two are probably the main competitors at this point.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »

Apart from the fact that Burton wasn't that impressive as a guest host, his age could be a consideration if they want someone to be the permanent host for a very long time.  Burton is 64 years old, while Jennings and Bialik are in their mid-40s. 
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2021, 10:09:43 AM »

I don't often watch Jeopardy, but I did see, I think, two of his shows as host, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembered that he said he was a last minute fill in due to some scheduling mix up.

I don't know if somebody mentioned this already, but that obvious lie helped his hosting of the show because he gave the impression that he was a humble "I don't deserve to be here" person. He said something like 'why is a behind the scenes person hosting? I don't belong here, but we'll be back to capable guest hosts soon."  His entire act was a lie and he's obviously a horrible person, a liar and a schemer.

I also hate him.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2021, 10:38:50 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2021, 12:08:06 PM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

Am aware it's unlikely, but I personally still thought Burton could have the highest ceiling if he gets used to the role despite the bad week. I agree those two are probably the main competitors at this point.

Yes, I think he really does have potential and if he’s invited back to guest host and prepared well this time (which IIRC he didn’t last time by his own admission) he could do really well (although perhaps not if Richards is still manipulating things behind the scenes).

Maybe they’ll bring on Jimmy and Sarah from the show, who’ve done some behind-the-scenes extra interviews for the YouTube channel and read categories before.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2021, 10:40:41 AM »

Yes, I think he really does have potential and if he’s invited back to guest host and prepared well this time (which IIRC he didn’t last time by his own admission) he could do really well.

Maybe they’ll bring on Jimmy and Sarah from the show, who’ve done some behind-the-scenes extra interviews for the YouTube channel and read categories before.

They also alternate hosting the on-set prep games so they certainly have some experience "hosting"!
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2021, 04:27:11 PM »

Hopefully it isn't Bialik
Girlytree
Rookie
United States