Jeopardy! Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:09:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Jeopardy! Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: Jeopardy! Megathread  (Read 9133 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2022, 08:08:55 PM »

Mattea Roach pulls it out in Final Jeopardy after being behind the whole game--23 day streak with close to $600,000 in total winnings.  Now in 5th place overall in wins and money earned.

Ken Jennings, among other winners, has said that for a long streak you sometimes have to be lucky as well as good.  This is the second time Mattea's won with an element of luck, specifically bad wagering by an opponent.  The first time was an asinine bet by an opponent in Final, and this one was Sarah's bet on the last Daily Double.  You've got to bet big in that situation, and she could have made the game a runaway.

(I don't count Sarah not knowing the Final to be luck. Knowledge is the key to the game, and Mattea had the critical piece there and Sarah didn't.)

Tbf, however, it still arguably comes down to a degree of luck when factoring in that Sarah could've bet enough on DJDD#2 (at least $8,401) that her not knowing FJ wouldn't make a difference, as it'd be a runaway. Indeed, given the game which we just watched, I'd be very shocked if Sarah isn't invited to the Second Chance tourney, as she strongly dominated the game 'til FJ & just missed the one question that ultimately mattered, which ought to factor into contestant selection given what they had to say about the sole confirmed participant thus far, Jessica Stephens, who beat Matt but lost to Jonathan.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2022, 07:00:06 PM »

Amazing win tonight for Danielle Mauer of Peachtree Corners, GA!  Gets the Final Jeopardy question with the Atlanta touch to beat out Mattea Roach. 
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2022, 10:42:41 PM »

Mayhaps the "broken" 1-week GMA curse was just an unbroken at-least-8-day GMA curse all along Tongue
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2022, 02:09:26 AM »

ABC ordered a Celebrity Jeopardy! in primetime, starting next fall.While a host has not been announced, it's presumed it will be Mayim Bialik hosting.

ABC has ordered new “Jeopardy!” primetime spinoff series “Celebrity Jeopardy!” The show is set to premiere as part of the Disney-owned broadcaster’s fall slate, airing alongside “Celebrity Wheel of Fortune” on Sundays.

Notably included in the announcement for “Celebrity Jeopardy!,” which came alongside ABC’s reveal of its fall 2022-2023 schedule on Tuesday, was this line: “A host will be announced at a later date.”

Craig Erwich says he “wouldn’t read anything into” the inclusion of this bit and the exclusion of Mayim Bialik’s name, as last year she was announced as the host of primetime “Jeopardy!” specials when the now-ousted Mike Richards was chosen as the full-time host. Bialik has been trading off hosting duties with Ken Jennings on the main syndicated series for several months now as the series looks for a permanent full-time replacement for Alex Trebek following his passing.

“It’s really just about the details of the announcement,” the ABC chief told Variety in an interview ahead of the schedule’s release and the order of “Celebrity Jeopardy!.” “And we just are not ready yet, but we will be soon. I wouldn’t read anything into it.”

When asked for clarification, as in if it should not be gathered from this omission that Bialik is not hosting, Erwich responded: “Correct.”

Airing Sundays at 8 p.m. on ABC, “Celebrity Jeopardy!” is described as “an all-new game show” that “welcomes celebrity contestants to compete for a chance to win money for a charity of their choice.”
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #204 on: May 31, 2022, 06:57:35 PM »

And once again, Jeopardy has another super long streak winner--Ryan Long, who won his 13th game in a row and is now in the Top 10 overall. 

Looks like Jeopardy is doing well in the post-Alex Trebek era with its players and the amazing streaks (not so much the hosts).  And Ryan is another very interesting personality--like Amy and Mattea earlier this season.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #205 on: May 31, 2022, 08:07:20 PM »

Ryan's hilarious (and appropriate for this site) response in tonight's Final Jeopardy made my son and me LOL.

Category: NOVEL QUOTES

Referring to the book’s title, this character says, "I know it’s a poem by Robert Burns"

Correct response:

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Ryan's response:

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2022, 10:53:08 AM »

Just watched yesterday’s game. Left a really bad taste in my mouth, especially since I have slow and poor handwriting due in part to my visual impairment.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2022, 12:00:54 PM »

I mean, would anyone be complaining if they had accepted it? Would the person who won because they didn't accept it have cried foul?
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2022, 01:22:41 PM »

There's quite a bit on social media about Sadie Goldberger getting robbed in Final Jeopardy.  Not the greatest penmanship in the world, but I've seen worse. 

Seems like Mayim made a very quick judgment against her.

Wouldn't be surprised if they invite/have invited Sadie back for another run.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2022, 01:32:11 PM »

I mean, would anyone be complaining if they had accepted it? Would the person who won because they didn't accept it have cried foul?

Look, I have penmanship that bad, and I'm pretty sure that it would not be accepted on Final Jeopardy.

Then again, Final Jeopardy should join the rest of the game and be verbal answers only (with exceptions being granted for contestants who are deaf/mute).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: June 18, 2022, 02:39:19 PM »

If Sadie's handwriting of "Harriet Tubman" was insufficient, then J! should recognize Ken, & not Brad, as the UToC winner:

The judges' ruling that his apparent handwriting of "Crete" was sufficient enough to be accepted is what gave him the win.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #211 on: June 18, 2022, 04:42:21 PM »

Look, I have penmanship that bad, and I'm pretty sure that it would not be accepted on Final Jeopardy.

Then again, Final Jeopardy should join the rest of the game and be verbal answers only (with exceptions being granted for contestants who are deaf/mute).

I don’t see what the issue would be with using (or at least allowing) a keyboard.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2022, 02:39:34 PM »

ABC ordered a Celebrity Jeopardy! in primetime, starting next fall.While a host has not been announced, it's presumed it will be Mayim Bialik hosting.

ABC has ordered new “Jeopardy!” primetime spinoff series “Celebrity Jeopardy!” The show is set to premiere as part of the Disney-owned broadcaster’s fall slate, airing alongside “Celebrity Wheel of Fortune” on Sundays.

Notably included in the announcement for “Celebrity Jeopardy!,” which came alongside ABC’s reveal of its fall 2022-2023 schedule on Tuesday, was this line: “A host will be announced at a later date.”

Craig Erwich says he “wouldn’t read anything into” the inclusion of this bit and the exclusion of Mayim Bialik’s name, as last year she was announced as the host of primetime “Jeopardy!” specials when the now-ousted Mike Richards was chosen as the full-time host. Bialik has been trading off hosting duties with Ken Jennings on the main syndicated series for several months now as the series looks for a permanent full-time replacement for Alex Trebek following his passing.

“It’s really just about the details of the announcement,” the ABC chief told Variety in an interview ahead of the schedule’s release and the order of “Celebrity Jeopardy!.” “And we just are not ready yet, but we will be soon. I wouldn’t read anything into it.”

When asked for clarification, as in if it should not be gathered from this omission that Bialik is not hosting, Erwich responded: “Correct.”

Airing Sundays at 8 p.m. on ABC, “Celebrity Jeopardy!” is described as “an all-new game show” that “welcomes celebrity contestants to compete for a chance to win money for a charity of their choice.”

She was Blossom during the 1990s
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2022, 03:25:13 PM »

The dual hosting situation between Ken Jennings and Mayim Biyalik is essentially permanent at this point.

At last, there’s a solution to the ongoing question of which host — Mayim Bialik or Ken Jennings —  will ultimately lead “Jeopardy!” The answer: Both.

Sony Pictures Entertainment has entered into long-term deals that will have the two hosts continue to split duties on the popular syndicated game show, according to a person familiar with the matter, while retaining Bialik to host primetime editions of the show as well as the new “Celebrity Jeopardy!” show expected to start up at ABC. With Sony eager to boost more versions of the program, this person says, more than one host was required. Bialik continues to work on the Fox sitcom, “Call Me Kat,” which has been scheduled for a third season.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2022, 03:49:26 PM »

🚨 PERMA HOST ALERT 🚨

Per the show itself, Ken will host from Sept. through Dec. (incl. the ToC!), & Mayim from Jan. 'til she's needed for Call Me Kat, at which point Ken & her will alternate pursuant to her availability as was done for all of this year.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2022, 07:21:11 PM »

🚨 PERMA HOST ALERT 🚨

Per the show itself, Ken will host from Sept. through Dec. (incl. the ToC!), & Mayim from Jan. 'til she's needed for Call Me Kat, at which point Ken & her will alternate pursuant to her availability as was done for all of this year.

Possible correction:

So maybe Ken hosts from Sept. through Dec., Mayim from Jan. through Kat, then Ken for the rest of the season thereafter?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2022, 01:28:03 PM »

The 2022 Tournament of Champions will have a major format change: see https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/2022/tournament-champions.  This will be interesting!

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2022, 05:09:37 PM »

The 2022 Tournament of Champions will have a major format change: see https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/2022/tournament-champions.  This will be interesting!

I like it. No more wildcards, gotta win every game to get to the final.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2022, 06:37:38 PM »

I like it. No more wildcards, gotta win every game to get to the final.

RIP to the wholesome "you'll notice that leaves one more spot" quarterfinals ending that occasionally occurred, though.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #219 on: October 24, 2022, 11:51:13 PM »

Was Leslie Jordan important enough to Call Me Kat, that they won't to be able to continue going forward?

The show is temporarily pausing production following Jordan's death. Assuming this means that Call Me Kat does not get a season 4, is the door open for Mayim Byalik to be sole host for Jeopardy! next season?
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #220 on: October 25, 2022, 06:30:04 PM »

For those not already aware, Mattea Roach is now the host of a bi weekly political podcast in Canada called The Backbench.

https://www.canadaland.com/shows/backbench/
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2022, 10:59:27 PM »

!!!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #222 on: December 08, 2022, 07:15:40 PM »

I didn't know you liked fictional cats that much.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2022, 07:18:42 PM »

That's actually my brother's apartment, he sent it to me.

He likes Garfield because he was always reminded of Garfield by our first family cat (who was orange and also sleepy.) His girlfriend loves Hello Kitty. The painting is actually not fictional, that's of his old black cat who died about one and a half years ago.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #224 on: December 08, 2022, 07:26:24 PM »

That's actually my brother's apartment, he sent it to me.

He likes Garfield because he was always reminded of Garfield by our first family cat (who was orange and also sleepy.) His girlfriend loves Hello Kitty. The painting is actually not fictional, that's of his old black cat who died about one and a half years ago.

Oh, okay. Sorry for assuming it was your room.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies