Jeopardy! Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:40:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Jeopardy! Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Jeopardy! Megathread  (Read 9049 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2021, 12:46:16 PM »

Rumor has it that former Tournament of Champions winner Buzzy Cohen might be in contention for the permanent hosting gig: https://www.newsweek.com/buzzy-cohen-emerges-unlikely-jeopardy-host-frontrunner-1627790

I think he’d be good, but I don’t see how it’s not Mayim Bialik at this point, or maybe an outside chance for Jennings.

Anyway, today’s the day!

Bialik literally can't take the job unless she leaves Call me Kat, or it gets cancelled.

My guess is that it will be a woman, and Bialik will be phased out (with Call me Kat being the official excuse in favor of having a single host.

I still think the best choices in that vein are Meredith Vieria (Former host of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and Today, currently hosting 25 Words or Less), Elizabeth Banks (Actress, currently hosting Press Your Luck, so we know she's willing to make room in her schedule for hosting game shows) and Vanna White (the co-hostess of Wheel of Fortune, her job is literally unnecessary on Wheel, given the electronic board. Either she should be offered the hosting position on Jeopardy, or she should be offered Johnny Gilbert's job (the chances of Johnny making it through any given season at 93 are less than 50-50, quite frankly.))

A name that's been dropped on and off for years is Brooke Burns, and I think she'd do well.  She's good at delivering rapid-fire questions and has a nice upbeat personality without being overly gushy.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2021, 12:51:15 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2021, 12:51:13 AM by brucejoel99 »

The first promo for S38 featuring Mike in any way has now dropped. Granted, it's literally just his voice in the background, but that still counts as something, I guess. In any event, though, they must really not want people remembering that Mike is, well, a thing, given that they delayed it 'til premiere day itself.

Rumor has it that former Tournament of Champions winner Buzzy Cohen might be in contention for the permanent hosting gig: https://www.newsweek.com/buzzy-cohen-emerges-unlikely-jeopardy-host-frontrunner-1627790

I think he’d be good, but I don’t see how it’s not Mayim Bialik at this point, or maybe an outside chance for Jennings.

Anyway, today’s the day!

Bialik literally can't take the job unless she leaves Call me Kat, or it gets cancelled.

Bialik can take the job if Sony & Call Me Kat's production company, WB, were to reach a deal schedule-wise on simultaneously sharing her, & TMZ has reported that such negotiations are currently taking place.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2021, 11:21:23 PM »

S38 has premiered! Now, I don't wanna spoil the game's result as it relates to Matt's streak for anybody who wants to watch the game but has yet to do so, so I'll just limit this post to the production side of things. For one thing, I believe that this episode has broken the record for the show's shortest turn-around between the taping & airing of an episode: just 3-&-a-1/2 weeks between Aug. 19th & Sept. 13th. (Normally, episodes are taped about 2-3 months ahead of their air-date.)

Now, for the information that you've all really been waiting for: they didn't re-tape Johnny's introduction of Mike as "the host of Jeopardy!," but they clearly edited out a braggadocious "I'm so 'humbled' & 'honored' to succeed Alex" speech on Mike's part: specifically, there was an awkwardly abrupt cut between Mike thanking Johnny, the camera turning to Johnny for a sec (fun fact: the camera turning to Johnny was actually real, in that he was actually in the studio at the taping of this episode for the first time since production was initially down-sized at the onset of the pandemic 18 months ago, having since undertaken his recording duties remotely from home; however, he was only there for the dedication of the taping stage as "The Alex Trebek Stage" earlier in the day, & returned home before the taping for tomorrow's episode commenced), followed by Mike just immediately jumping into a hype-up of Matt's streak while obviously standing in a position which he couldn't have naturally been standing in after having thanked Johnny seemingly just a second prior.

Other production notes: the new intro retains a clip of Alex &, for the first time in the modern show's history, Art Fleming as a nice touch & nod to the show's history; the unchaged-since-2008 theme song has been slightly re-arranged (it's not a new new version like the previous version was in 2008, but it's not the same version either; they basically added more synthesized horns while completely removing any trace of the saxophone); there's a new, blue set (although this had previously been revealed in the advertising for this season); the Final Jeopardy category is now shown on screen along with the clue for the duration of the "Think" music (something which the fan-base has been begging for for years now); & Clue Crew members Jimmy & Sarah have been promoted to Stage Manager (basically, the deputy E.P., & the de-facto E.P. for this particular taping whenever the cameras were rolling since the de-jure E.P. at the time was a bit pre-occupied behind the lectern) & Associate Director, respectively, but don't worry: they'll still be doing remote Clew Crue segments!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2021, 11:06:53 AM »

Completely unrelated to the saga underlying the existence of this thread, but I just got notified that I passed Jeopardy!'s online test the last time that I took it & that I've been invited to their Zoom audition stage. So psyched!!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2021, 11:22:37 AM »

Completely unrelated to the saga underlying the existence of this thread, but I just got notified that I passed Jeopardy!'s online test the last time that I took it & that I've been invited to their Zoom audition stage. So psyched!!

Congrats
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »

Congrats

Thank you!!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2021, 12:49:10 PM »

Congratulations and good luck with your audition!  I did in-person auditions four times in various cities, but unfortunately never got the Call.  The auditions were always fun in themselves; hopefully they'll be able to return to them at some point.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2021, 04:29:02 PM »

Bialik and Jennings will cover hosting duties for the rest of this year, with Jennings (apparently) filling in when Bialik is unavailable.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2021, 05:17:40 PM »

Bialik and Jennings will cover hosting duties for the rest of this year, with Jennings (apparently) filling in when Bialik is unavailable.

That seems to indicate that the producers would prefer that Bialik become the permanent host. If her new show sputters out (which is a good possibility, given the fate of so many recent television series), then I wouldn't be surprised if she got that position.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2021, 05:36:26 PM »

That seems to indicate that the producers would prefer that Bialik become the permanent host. If her new show sputters out (which is a good possibility, given the fate of so many recent television series), then I wouldn't be surprised if she got that position.

The very idea that Jennings can lose the job because of the one Tweet joke about a hot person in a wheelchair, while Bialik, who believes that C-sections are bad and that those babies should just die instead, is a f***ing disgrace and shows how out of touch the Jeopardy producers are.

If you asked 100 people in a wheelchair whether Ken's Tweet or Bialik's statement is worse, they're almost all going to say hers.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2021, 05:48:54 PM »

The very idea that Jennings can lose the job because of the one Tweet joke about a hot person in a wheelchair, while Bialik, who believes that C-sections are bad and that those babies should just die instead, is a f***ing disgrace and shows how out of touch the Jeopardy producers are.

If you asked 100 people in a wheelchair whether Ken's Tweet or Bialik's statement is worse, they're almost all going to say hers.

I'm not that familiar with these controversies, although I've heard that Bialik is an anti-vaxxer. Personally, I think that Jennings should get the hosting job permanently, as I think that would best reflect Trebek's wishes. But we'll see what happens.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2021, 06:16:29 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2021, 06:41:19 PM by brucejoel99 »

Interesting. Ken's bio didn't list him as "host" 'til today, & it's not referring to him as "interim host" even though that's what Sony said earlier today that he is through the end of the year. (Mayim's did already say host, but that's because she was already signed-on to host the primetime specials.) His bio also didn't designate him as an "interim host" - let alone as "host" - during his initial 6-wk run either, & not for nothing, but Pat Sajak was just made "consulting producer" over on Wheel too.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2021, 06:38:30 PM »

Interesting. Ken's bio didn't list him as "host" 'til today, & it's not referring to him as "interim host" even though that's what Sony said earlier today that he is through the end of the year. (Mayim's did already say host, but that's because she was already signed-on to host the primetime specials.) His bio also didn't designate him as an "interim host" - let alone as "host" - during his initial 6-wk run either, & not for nothing, but Pat Sajak was just made "consulting producer" over on Wheel too.

I actually watched the season premiere of Wheel of Fortune a few days ago, and they've made some changes to the game procedures. It also appears that they redesigned or updated the set. He and Vanna White must hold the record for longest-tenured game show hosts. They've now been hosting that program for 39 years, which is actually longer than Trebek hosted Jeopardy. The only other game show host of comparable tenure I can think of is Bob Barker, who hosted The Price is Right for 35 years (1972-2007).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2021, 07:19:03 PM »

I'm not that familiar with these controversies, although I've heard that Bialik is an anti-vaxxer. Personally, I think that Jennings should get the hosting job permanently, as I think that would best reflect Trebek's wishes. But we'll see what happens.

Ken Jennings Tweeted this in 2014:

He's deleted it recently, probably as a requirement for the job. It's admittedly not a great look for him, but in the grand scheme of things not that big of a deal. He has apologized for it.

Here's a good summary of Bialik's anti-vaccine history:

Basically, she's trying to distance herself from her past anti-vaxx comments and has publicly endorsed the COVID vaccine. So problematic, but at least she's moving in the right direction.

However, this is inexcusable. She needs to issue a VERY strongly worded statement condemning this and clarifying that she doesn't really believe it, but I haven't seen her give any response.

She also had a controversial NY Times op-ed after the Harvey Weinstein scandal came out that was interpreted by many as victim blaming, as she recommended that women dress more modestly and flirt less. And some people are really bothered by her financial backing of Israeli military groups.

Anyway, all that to say that the decisionmakers must just really like Bialik on a personal level, because they're ridiculously controversy-avoidant when it comes to Jennings, one of the most beloved figures in Jeopardy history, and seemingly don't care when it comes to Bialik.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2021, 03:03:49 AM »

Ken Jennings Tweeted this in 2014:

He's deleted it recently, probably as a requirement for the job. It's admittedly not a great look for him, but in the grand scheme of things not that big of a deal. He has apologized for it.

Here's a good summary of Bialik's anti-vaccine history:

Basically, she's trying to distance herself from her past anti-vaxx comments and has publicly endorsed the COVID vaccine. So problematic, but at least she's moving in the right direction.

However, this is inexcusable. She needs to issue a VERY strongly worded statement condemning this and clarifying that she doesn't really believe it, but I haven't seen her give any response.

She also had a controversial NY Times op-ed after the Harvey Weinstein scandal came out that was interpreted by many as victim blaming, as she recommended that women dress more modestly and flirt less. And some people are really bothered by her financial backing of Israeli military groups.

Anyway, all that to say that the decisionmakers must just really like Bialik on a personal level, because they're ridiculously controversy-avoidant when it comes to Jennings, one of the most beloved figures in Jeopardy history, and seemingly don't care when it comes to Bialik.

It's easy. Jennings, and Mike Richards before him are men. Bialik is a women, and Sony must think they'd be immune to criticism if they hired her (ignoring the fact there are plenty of other qualified women, like Meredith Vieria, Brooke Burns, or even Robin Roberts who could host).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2021, 06:49:33 AM »

It's easy. Jennings, and Mike Richards before him are men. Bialik is a women, and Sony must think they'd be immune to criticism if they hired her (ignoring the fact there are plenty of other qualified women, like Meredith Vieria, Brooke Burns, or even Robin Roberts who could host).

Well hopefully it's not something that simple and stupid.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2021, 09:49:40 AM »

I can't believe that Matt missed the Monday Final Jeopardy, which seemed ridiculously easy -- and that the second-place contestant also missed it on one of the rare days when Matt didn't have a lock going in!  I guess to have such a long run you need to be lucky as well as good; Ken Jennings had a couple of similar lucky escapes during his streak.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2021, 10:57:08 AM »

I can't believe that Matt missed the Monday Final Jeopardy, which seemed ridiculously easy -- and that the second-place contestant also missed it on one of the rare days when Matt didn't have a lock going in!  I guess to have such a long run you need to be lucky as well as good; Ken Jennings had a couple of similar lucky escapes during his streak.

Absurdly good streaks like Ken's, James Holzhauer's, Matt's, & Julia Collins' are obviously down to a lot of skill, but also a lot of luck as well. A streak of 20+ games is just an incredibly unlikely occurrence & would be hard for any player to do.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2021, 08:38:07 PM »

MILLION DOLLAR MATT.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2021, 07:33:09 PM »

Matt won his 32nd game today, tying James' winning streak. Tomorrow, he'll be vying for 2nd all-time in games won.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2021, 08:59:02 PM »

Matt won his 32nd game today, tying James' winning streak. Tomorrow, he'll be vying for 2nd all-time in games won.

IMO Matt is a better player than James, although he's won less money.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2021, 09:47:19 PM »

IMO Matt is a better player than James, although he's won less money.

In a way, they're honestly not even comparable: whereas James was a trailblazer who showed us how a super intelligent player could approach clue-selection, Matt's more conservative wagering - which he has said is an homage to Ken's non-GOAT tournament playing style - is definitely the better statistical approach for protecting a streak (as none other than Ken proved), in that because James only cared about winning as much money as possible per game, it's honestly crazy that not only did he even last as long as he did given his wagering, but that he didn't even lose because of his wagering style but rather because he came across another super intelligent player. If nothing else, that spoke to James' prowess on the board.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2021, 08:13:54 PM »

Matt won his 33rd game today, so his winning streak now exceeds James' 32 & only trails Ken's 74. Although he's still a far way off from both James' & Ken's regular-season earnings, Matt is now officially #ChasingKen in any event, so now we go onward to next Thurs., where a win by Matt would get him half-way to Ken's record (now that really puts just how insane Ken's 74-game streak was into perspective) &, eventually, Nov. 30th, when Ken himself will be hosting & Matt would hypothetically - presuming that he just keeps on winning - exceed Ken's consecutive-game record after tying it the day before. Incidentally enough, Ken's return to the lectern for Matt's hypothetical 59th game on Nov. 8th will air on the 1st anniversary of Alex's passing (& man, it's absolutely crushing that Alex isn't with us to be hosting Matt; he'd be so proud), while Matt's hypothetical 75th game will be airing on the 17th anniversary of Ken's 75th, the one that he finally lost. The Jeopardy! Gods have really gone all-out to set-up some potentially amazing moments for this year, hopefully for Alex Purple heart
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2021, 02:31:22 PM »

Crying for Matt. He’s keeping the flame alive.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2021, 09:11:03 PM »

Matt broke James' hold on the top 15 daily-winnings records today, winning $83K (for a 34-day total of $1,350,801) to lay claim to the show's 13th highest single-game winnings record &, of course, now the highest single-game winnings record by a non-James contestant, beating Roger Craig's pre-James single-game winnings record of $77K from back in 2010.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies