Belarusian Sprinter removed from Olympics, forced to return to Belarus against her will
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:52:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Belarusian Sprinter removed from Olympics, forced to return to Belarus against her will
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Belarusian Sprinter removed from Olympics, forced to return to Belarus against her will  (Read 234 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2021, 07:03:18 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/01/sport/belarus-kristina-timanovskaya-removed-olympics-airport-intl/index.html

A Belarusian sprinter competing at the Tokyo Olympics released a video on Sunday calling for the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to help her avoid being returned to her native country against her will.

Athlete Kristina Timanovskaya said in the short video released on social media: "I was put under pressure and they are trying to forcibly take me out of the country without my consent. I ask the IOC to intervene."

It appeared online after Timanovskaya was told she will no longer be able to compete for Belarus and that she must return to the capital, Minsk, immediately, said Anatol Kotau, of the Belarus Sports Solidarity Foundation. The group represents Belarusian athletes repressed by Belarusian authorities.

Kotau, who is in direct contact with Timanovskaya, said that at around 3 p.m. (2 a.m. ET) on Sunday, representatives of the Belarus national team came to the Olympic village and asked her to "pack her belongings as a decision had been made for her to return to Minsk."

"I am afraid that I might be jailed in Belarus," Timanovskaya said in an interview with the Belarusian sports news site Tribuna on Sunday. "I am not afraid of being fired or kicked out of the national team. I'm concerned about my safety. And I think that at the moment it is not safe for me in Belarus. I didn't do anything, but they deprived me of the right to participate in the 200 meter race and wanted to send me home."

She did not detail exactly what she feared she would be jailed over, but her fear of reprisal comes after she spoke out against national sporting authorities.

Timanovskaya is currently at Haneda International Airport police station, Kotau told CNN by phone. Kotau added that the athlete was scheduled to be on flight TK0199 to Istanbul, departing at 10:50 p.m. Tokyo time.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 05:10:57 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2021, 05:14:45 AM by CumbrianLeftie »

Good news, she has moved to a "safe place" and will not be forced back to Belarus against her wishes.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM »

No one should have to live under a dictatorship, anywhere in the world. Hopefully they'll all be overthrown and held accountable for all of their crimes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies