Alberta and Saskatchewan compared to US states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 08:05:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alberta and Saskatchewan compared to US states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alberta and Saskatchewan compared to US states?  (Read 419 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »

How would Canada's two most conservative provinces "rank" compared to US states in terms of politics?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 05:09:55 AM »

Back in the Dubya era, many thought Alberta should be added to "Jesusland". The irony is surely that it is to the left of Sask these days.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 09:23:02 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2021, 11:12:43 PM by Christian Man »

I think Saskatchewan would've had a strange voting history, given how it is between The Midwest and West and I could see it being influenced by both geographic areas with a simultaneous hotbed of economic populism and cultural libertarianism. While voting similar to say Idaho and Colorado prior to 1928 (except I can see it going to Harding in 1916), I could see it being a Democratic state between Al Smith-JFK, voting for Goldwater, Nixon 2x, Carter, then voting for Reagan once (Carter was unpopular out West) before returning to the Dems between Mondale-Clinton's 2nd term. I think while Gore, Kerry, and 2008 Obama would've gotten at least 40%, it would've taken a slight right turn in 2012 having Romney win around 60%, while Trump probably would've improved slightly over that to the low 60's in 2016. I think things like the mask mandates or BLM protests would've been very unpopular and I could see Trump improving, winning over 70% of the vote in his unsuccessful re-election bid, one of the few areas that he substantially improves in.

I can see Alberta being similar to its neighboring states (MT, WY, ID) etc, but with a more conservative history. I'm not sure how it would've done during the days of WJB, but I think it would've been Republican with the exceptions of Wilson (during the divided 1912 election) and then FDR during his first three elections before becoming solidly Republican with the exception of Perot. Unlike some neighboring states, I don't think McMullin or Johnson would've hurt him and he would've won in the low-mid 70's in 2016, before improving slightly and winning in the mid-upper 70's in 2020.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 04:12:30 PM »

Saskatchewan's political history parallels with North Dakota, in many ways.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies