Most "privileged" election of the past 30 years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:33:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Most "privileged" election of the past 30 years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which election was the most "privileged"?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Most "privileged" election of the past 30 years?  (Read 515 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »

Which election over the past 30 years was the most peak privileged, where privilege really showed out? I would say 2000, Bush and Gore were both privileged white men, nothing wrong with centrism, but they gave centrism a bad name because they did not excite their extremes, and a lot of privileged people voted for Ralph Nader because Clinton-Gore did not "change" and dismantle "Reaganism".....

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 09:38:57 PM »

Wow, bronz actually got it on the mark...creepy. 2004 is a good one too.

But yeah, two Ivy Leaguers from political families, not really a good look for "standing with the WWC".

Bill Clinton and Obama rose from nearly nothing and really had to make names for themselves, Dole  became partially disabled from his service irc, and Biden was pretty much in the middle class until he became VP. Hillary had quite a path to forge herself just by default.

I'm really drawing blanks with Gore or Bush II.

bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 11:14:44 PM »

Wow, bronz actually got it on the mark...creepy. 2004 is a good one too.

But yeah, two Ivy Leaguers from political families, not really a good look for "standing with the WWC".

Bill Clinton and Obama rose from nearly nothing and really had to make names for themselves, Dole  became partially disabled from his service irc, and Biden was pretty much in the middle class until he became VP. Hillary had quite a path to forge herself just by default.

I'm really drawing blanks with Gore or Bush II.

Al Gore was from a southern political family as well, but Kerry literally was in the same rich kid secret club at college as Bush II was and he married into the Heinz family fortune.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 11:12:14 AM »

Really don't see how you can beat "billionaire versus wife of a former president" here
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 11:32:28 AM »

2000 doesn't ring a bell? Not only were the candidates privileged, but the country was too.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 12:31:37 PM »

Most privileged candidates? Probably 2016. Both the Clinton's and Trump are very rich and privileged. I guess 2004 is fairly close as well

In terms of rich people being happy? Probably 2012. 1996 is second  with 2000 not being too far behind
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 01:19:29 PM »

Really don't see how you can beat "billionaire versus wife of a former president" here

Hillary had a humble middle class background and actually had to work hard to get where she got. She by no means just rode off Bill's success. She was successful in her own right without him, played a big role in his success herself, and probably could have still gone far without him. I'd say that makes her less "privileged" than Al Gore, a literal "senator's son" as in "Fortunate Son." Who himself was going up against a president's son. And yes, both had Ivy League educations, and both of their running mates also were highly privileged. Cheney was a literal oil baron and Lieberman also had a privileged Ivy League background. Ultimately I think this means OP is right and 2000 beats out 2016, as well as 2004. (Kerry actually served in Vietnam and Edwards had a humble background.)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 01:51:16 PM »

Most privileged candidates? Probably 2016. Both the Clinton's and Trump are very rich and privileged. I guess 2004 is fairly close as well

In terms of rich people being happy? Probably 2012. 1996 is second  with 2000 not being too far behind

I mean in terms of everyone being happy and privileged, specifically middle class white people.....2000 is number 1 and probably 2012, I would say......

The only rich people who are never happy were Rush Limbaugh in the 1990s and Jerry Jones post-1996 after the Cowboys dynasty ended
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies