Which of these could reasonably construed as monoplies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 11:08:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these could reasonably construed as monoplies?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Google search

Amazon

Youtube

Facebook

Twitter

Apple

NOTA

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these could reasonably construed as monoplies?  (Read 1067 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 04:33:49 AM »

but "monopoly" doesn't mean "almost 75% possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service".
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2021, 08:39:08 AM »

I knew it was bad, but didn't know it was 2/3rds of the message board bad.  Sheesh.
Why so shocked? They and you are hard leftists by the standards of 1788 or 1913.
whatever point you think you are making in this thread is not landing.  I have no idea why you are on this angle or where you are going with it.
You were calling people "lefties", trying to act like you weren't one.

What are you, a feudal serf plucked out of time? Do only staunch monarchists get the "not a leftist" badge?
It's honestly irrelevant what I am. It is relevant that you're a libertarian, and thus on the extreme side of things when it comes to the radical left. Supporting capitalism means supporting the social destabilization that comes with it. I've got half a mind to start reporting anybody who claims to be "rightwing" and supporting capitalism for either being trolling or extremely uninformed on politics.

At this rate I have a hard time imagining that you'll make it to 100 posts.

Accept it. You have been outed as a far leftist.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »

The fact that 7 people voted for Apple alone is proof that many don't understand what "monopoly" means. What sector does Apple have a monopoly in?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2021, 10:24:18 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2021, 11:22:54 AM by lfromnj »

The fact that 7 people voted for Apple alone is proof that many don't understand what "monopoly" means. What sector does Apple have a monopoly in?

Yeah I put Apple as a control group. Although tbf the EU keeps going after Apple because all of tech is either East Asian or American and they are salty they don't have any native tech companies.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2021, 06:21:17 PM »

These results show that the majority here do not understand the difference between "dominant product" and "monopoly." And the results for Apple are proof some don't even understand the difference between "big company" and "monopoly."
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2021, 07:12:16 PM »

None are strictly speaking monopolies, but it’s especially ridiculous to say Apple is, as they have tons of prominent competition for their phones, computers, etc. Also how could both Facebook and Twitter be monopolies? They are competitors with each other! Obviously they aren’t exactly the same but both are social media networks. Google and YouTube (same company of course) certainly dominate the fields of search engine and video hosting, but that’s not because of a lack of competition. They just do it better than their competitors. (Lol Bing.) And that just leaves Amazon, which has in some ways become the virtual equivalent to the retail juggernaut Wal-Mart was back in the day. It’s still not a monopoly, but they certainly have effectively steamrolled over a lot of their competition.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2021, 01:53:32 AM »

Here's another example of how basically no one online knows what a "monopoly" is. (They are referring to Netflix here!)

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2021, 01:59:12 AM »

The funny thing about Apple is you actually could make an argument for them ten years ago back when their signature product was still the iPod and in regards to the market of standalone mp3 players, but those are basically obsolete now. And it would've been wrong even at the time...in addition to the Zune there were also plenty of cheap store brand models that no one remembers today, but were absolutely things.

Today the amazing thing is that Apple isn't even the largest company in any market that they operate in! Outside of maybe tablets, but even then it's just a plurality of sales, not a majority, much less a monopoly.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2021, 09:40:05 AM »

Under the actual anti-trust legislation, don’t you have to not improve overall customer experience in the market to be ruled against as a monopoly?  Hence why cable companies aren’t usually targeted.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies