Which of these could reasonably construed as monoplies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 09:45:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these could reasonably construed as monoplies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Google search

Amazon

Youtube

Facebook

Twitter

Apple

NOTA

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these could reasonably construed as monoplies?  (Read 1066 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2021, 06:25:10 PM »

?
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 06:33:10 PM »

Google, Amazon, Youtube, and Facebook.

Two of those are, of course, owned by the same company, which only underscores the point.

Pixel is still better than iPhone tho.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 06:36:25 PM »

Two of those are, of course, owned by the same company, which only underscores the point.

Not really?

I mean there's a pretty solid argument for youtube but in the case of google's most famous function which is a search engine.
https://www.bing.com/
https://duckduckgo.com/
https://search.yahoo.com/

Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 06:41:02 PM »

Not really?

I mean there's a pretty solid argument for youtube but in the case of google's most famous function which is a search engine.
https://www.bing.com/
https://duckduckgo.com/
https://search.yahoo.com/

Google probably has 90-95% percent of the search engine market. Their ad activity also has to be taken into consideration when discussing their monopoly status.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 06:54:00 PM »

Google/Youtube and Facebook are basically natural monopolies.

Amazon isn't even close to a monopoly, as they have many very strong retailers competing against them in the retail space, they have Microsoft, Google, and others competing against them in the cloud space, and they have Netflix and the media giants in the streaming space. And even then, a retail/cloud computing oligopoly is far less dangerous than Google and Facebook having the power to control the way people think.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 06:55:53 PM »

Amazon isn't even close to a monopoly, as they have many very strong retailers competing against them in the retail space, they have Microsoft, Google, and others competing against them in the cloud space, and they have Netflix and the media giants in the streaming space. And even then, a retail/cloud computing oligopoly is far less dangerous than Google and Facebook having the power to control the way people think.

One of the most ironic stuff in life is everyone was happy when Netflix was becoming a monoply but now everyone complains it has to compete with disney and other streaming services.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 10:23:39 PM »

YouTube isn’t a monopoly, their are literally tons of other video sharing services such as Twitch, TikTok, Dailymotion, etc.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 10:37:04 PM »

Amazon is the definition of a monopoly. The only companies "competing" are the biggest traditional mortar stores like Walmart and, uh, Ebay I guess? Nah. Amazon buys companies just to be the only seller in that field. They run subsidiaries at massive losses for years to drive smaller companies out of business. There are countless examples of this. They are as predatory a monopoly as you can find.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 11:40:37 PM »

Amazon is the definition of a monopoly. The only companies "competing" are the biggest traditional mortar stores like Walmart and, uh, Ebay I guess? Nah. Amazon buys companies just to be the only seller in that field. They run subsidiaries at massive losses for years to drive smaller companies out of business. There are countless examples of this. They are as predatory a monopoly as you can find.

Amazon barely has half of online retail, and less than 10% of total retail. Retail is also only part of its business, and they have less than 15% market share in other key business units like AWS (their most important business, according to Amazon themselves), Whole Foods, and subscription services. Predatory business practices or market power alone do not make a monopoly.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 11:50:42 PM »

monopoly-
noun: monopoly; plural noun: monopolies; noun: Monopoly

the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.
    "his likely motive was to protect his regional monopoly on furs"
        a company or group having exclusive control over a commodity or service.
        "areas where cable companies operate as monopolies"
        a commodity or service in the exclusive control of a company or group.
        "electricity, gas, and water were considered to be natural monopolies"
        the exclusive possession, control, or exercise of something.
        "men don't have a monopoly on unrequited love"
    trademark
    a board game in which players engage in simulated property and financial dealings using imitation money. It was invented in the US and the name was coined by Charles Darrow c. 1935.

Clearly none of those things are monopolies and it amazes me how some of you can, with a straight face, claim that they are.  What is it with lefties wanting to change the definition of words?
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 11:57:52 PM »

monopoly-

the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.
    trademark
    a board game in which players engage in simulated property and financial dealings using imitation money. It was invented in the US and the name was coined by Charles Darrow c. 1935.

Clearly none of those things are monopolies and it amazes me how some of you can, with a straight face, claim that they are.  What is it with lefties wanting to change the definition of words?
I wouldn't be calling someone "leftist" when you support capitalism. Compared to mercantilism or feudalism, capitalism is far to the left of both so you have zero room to be talking about "leftists" ever.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 12:24:35 AM »

I wouldn't be calling someone "leftist" when you support capitalism. Compared to mercantilism or feudalism, capitalism is far to the left of both so you have zero room to be talking about "leftists" ever.
if I was talking to a group of people who mostly lived under mercantilism or feudalism you'd have a great point.  I'm not though.  The people who want to change the definition of words know who I'm talking about.  Ya know, "assault rifle means any angry looking gun" or "racism can only be done by white people" or "every really popular business is a monopoly and should be punished for being better for consumers than the rest".
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 12:25:13 AM »

monopoly-

trademark

What on earth...?

dead0man maybe having been a leftist if he had lived hundreds of years ago doesn't make him a leftist now. Where the hell are you getting the idea that this is a relevant point?

Anyway, "trust" is perhaps a better word than "monopoly" for most of the entities being discussed in this thread, even though "trust" sounds awfully dated and Progressive-Era.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 08:53:41 AM »

if I was talking to a group of people who mostly lived under mercantilism or feudalism you'd have a great point.  I'm not though.  The people who want to change the definition of words know who I'm talking about.  Ya know, "assault rifle means any angry looking gun" or "racism can only be done by white people" or "every really popular business is a monopoly and should be punished for being better for consumers than the rest".
Capitalism is inherently radically leftist. There's a reason corporate america supports antifa and BLM and it has nothing to do with fear of regulation. It's inherent in the socially destabilizing nature of the "free market".
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 10:04:55 AM »

Capitalism is inherently radically leftist. There's a reason corporate america supports antifa and BLM and it has nothing to do with fear of regulation. It's inherent in the socially destabilizing nature of the "free market".

This is completely true. It's precisely the reason that I'm the most far left poster on Atlas.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 06:38:33 PM »

I knew it was bad, but didn't know it was 2/3rds of the message board bad.  Sheesh.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 11:44:24 PM »

I knew it was bad, but didn't know it was 2/3rds of the message board bad.  Sheesh.
Why so shocked? They and you are hard leftists by the standards of 1788 or 1913.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 11:45:02 PM »

Maybe Google search and YouTube, but it's complicated. Google is responsible for over 90% of search engine searches, which would be enough to consider them a monopoly, but making a search is free. What they sell is ads, and they are far from an advertising monopoly. The same is true for YouTube. Since watching a normal video is free, YouTube sells ads, and they are not a monopoly in that market either. There are some things like movies that you have to pay to see on YouTube, but there is plenty of competition in that market. Maybe someone who knows more about this than me can clear this up.

The rest aren't monopolies. Amazon competes with in-person retailers and sites like eBay to sell the same goods. Facebook and Twitter are suitable alternatives to each other even though they are not exactly the same. Apple isn't a monopoly due to the number of Android and Windows devices. All these companies may engage in anticompetitive practices, but that is not enough to make them a monopoly.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 12:04:24 AM »

None of them, monopolies don't exist
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 12:12:51 AM »

Why so shocked? They and you are hard leftists by the standards of 1788 or 1913.
whatever point you think you are making in this thread is not landing.  I have no idea why you are on this angle or where you are going with it.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 12:24:50 AM »

whatever point you think you are making in this thread is not landing.  I have no idea why you are on this angle or where you are going with it.
You were calling people "lefties", trying to act like you weren't one.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 12:30:25 AM »

What are you, a feudal serf plucked out of time? Do only staunch monarchists get the "not a leftist" badge?
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 12:59:16 AM »

What are you, a feudal serf plucked out of time? Do only staunch monarchists get the "not a leftist" badge?
It's honestly irrelevant what I am. It is relevant that you're a libertarian, and thus on the extreme side of things when it comes to the radical left. Supporting capitalism means supporting the social destabilization that comes with it. I've got half a mind to start reporting anybody who claims to be "rightwing" and supporting capitalism for either being trolling or extremely uninformed on politics.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 01:25:50 AM »

It's honestly irrelevant what I am. It is relevant that you're a libertarian, and thus on the extreme side of things when it comes to the radical left. Supporting capitalism means supporting the social destabilization that comes with it. I've got half a mind to start reporting anybody who claims to be "rightwing" and supporting capitalism for either being trolling or extremely uninformed on politics.

At this rate I have a hard time imagining that you'll make it to 100 posts.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2021, 01:42:18 AM »

NOTA.

YouTube comes closest, but the existance of Dailymotion and Vimeo renders them not.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies