People believe Black-White relations at historic low
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:41:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  People believe Black-White relations at historic low
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: People believe Black-White relations at historic low  (Read 1688 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2021, 02:14:45 PM »
« edited: July 23, 2021, 10:16:28 AM by lfromnj »

https://news.gallup.com/poll/352457/ratings-black-white-relations-new-low.aspx

For the second consecutive year, U.S. adults' positive ratings of relations between Black and White Americans are at their lowest point in more than two decades of measurement. Currently, 42% of Americans say relations between the two groups are "very" or "somewhat" good, while 57% say they are "somewhat" or "very" bad.

The most recent rating of Black-White relations in the U.S. is not statistically different from last year's 44%. However, the reading has eroded nine percentage points over the past two years as the nation has grappled with the murder of George Floyd and the subsequent nationwide protests and calls for racial justice.

Its gallup so take with a grain of salt but still an interesting change. The main change is probably Ferguson/Mike Brown.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 02:47:54 PM »

Oh well. It's sad.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 02:55:24 PM »

Only with White-Black relations it seems.

Americans' poor assessment of Black-White relations stands alone in their assessments of relations between other U.S. racial and ethnic groups. Majorities of Americans rate relations between Hispanic and White people, Black and Hispanic people, Asian and White people, and Black and Asian people as good. Full details of these data will be reported in a subsequent story.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 03:13:47 PM »

A lot of people base their opinions on what they see online and on the news. There are plenty of racist incidents caught on video to make people form a negative opinion of race relations.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 04:27:45 PM »

So this poll only began in 2001?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 04:30:20 PM »

The race hustlers on the left have been very effective at achieving their goal, I have to give them that.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 04:47:58 PM »

Yes, how shocking.

Its almost like woke corporate virtue signaling and hyper racializing every aspect of life only divides people more. Who would have thought. The only way to defeat a myth is to disappear it not shine a light on it. Myths gain strength through collective imagination.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 04:57:19 PM »

It's not the fault of corporations or the invisible left secret government that right-wingers believe in. In case you missed it we had the most racist President in modern history in office for four years, plus eight years of backlash from racists who were angry that Obama was elected. There has always been a race problem in this country, it's just now that more people see that it exist.

And it less of a race problem and more of a political one. If anything it's now an anti-racist vs. racist problem, because more white people are becoming aware of how deeply rooted racism is.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 05:33:23 PM »

Should we resegregate bronz?

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 05:36:53 PM »

It's not the fault of corporations or the invisible left secret government that right-wingers believe in. In case you missed it we had the most racist President in modern history in office for four years, plus eight years of backlash from racists who were angry that Obama was elected. There has always been a race problem in this country, it's just now that more people see that it exist.

And it less of a race problem and more of a political one. If anything it's now an anti-racist vs. racist problem, because more white people are becoming aware of how deeply rooted racism is.
Did you just call Trump more racist than Johnson, Reagan, and Nixon? Holy crap.

And don’t play the relative to era game either. Terrible post.

If it's such a terrible post then take your ass to another thread and read something else. With that said, Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act despite his personal views. As for Nixon and Reagan they were nowhere near as open with their racism as Trump.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 05:40:06 PM »

I honestly don't believe this is true in my small town. Most of us rub shoulders together and know each other and care about each other, of all races and classes. If that were not true, and I would not live where I live. It enriches my life, and I hope my being around is something my neighbors appreciate. There is no substitute for the up close and personal thing. Nothing. Academic abstractions just don't cut it in my opinion. It needs to be more emotional and empathetic. We are but flawed humans.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 06:44:11 PM »

We did not really need a survey to confirm this, but okay.

Americans' poor assessment of Black-White relations stands alone in their assessments of relations between other U.S. racial and ethnic groups. Majorities of Americans rate relations between Hispanic and White people, Black and Hispanic people, Asian and White people, and Black and Asian people as good. Full details of these data will be reported in a subsequent story.

I might be somewhat dubious as to these results that don't involve white people since in those cases you'd likely have a majority of respondents not being a a part of the relationship. Unless they only asked people for opinions regarding their own ethnicity.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 08:38:16 PM »

The race hustlers on the left have been very effective at achieving their goal, I have to give them that.

"race hustlers" Roll Eyes
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 08:46:55 PM »

Its almost like woke corporate virtue signaling and hyper racializing every aspect of life only divides people more. Who would have thought.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is a conscious attempt to divide workers along racial and other lines.  Certainly given the massive income inequality in the country corporations are looking for anything to divert attention from them.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 08:57:10 PM »

Which Johnson?
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 09:52:50 PM »

I might be somewhat dubious as to these results that don't involve white people since in those cases you'd likely have a majority of respondents not being a a part of the relationship. Unless they only asked people for opinions regarding their own ethnicity.
I would also like to see the methodology for that. Gallup is probably different from Pew Research.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 09:53:53 PM »

Funny enough, Gallup also gave us this.

Malarkey Decider
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 10:05:55 PM »

I really cannot imagine a society in which race is talked about more, and race relations improve. In general, the less race is mentioned, the less people will value it in their mindset of the world. Obviously, there are exceptions where race is important within a situation, but it is not the norm.

I also think that people really need to stop using singular events as evidence for racism in our country, or for any situation for that matter. we live is a country of 330,000,000+ people, some things are bound to happen due to luck.

With that being said, "race hustlers" … really? You can disagree with somebody without making it sound like there is some sort of nefarious motive.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 10:23:16 PM »

I don't know if I believe this.  I have great relations with both of the black people I know.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 10:34:22 PM »

Did you just call LBJ more racist than Trump? Holy sh*&.

Good grief, I thought you were referring to Andrew Johnson at first...that at least would've been plausible.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 11:10:05 PM »

I really cannot imagine a society in which race is talked about more, and race relations improve. In general, the less race is mentioned, the less people will value it in their mindset of the world.

The left eventually needs to learn this lesson. Not sure what it's going to take.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 11:12:45 PM »

I doubt that Americans' opinion on race relations is very indicative of how race relations actually are.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 11:16:11 PM »

I really cannot imagine a society in which race is talked about more, and race relations improve. In general, the less race is mentioned, the less people will value it in their mindset of the world.

The left eventually needs to learn this lesson. Not sure what it's going to take.

The right eventually needs to be permanently removed from political relevance for racism to end on a large scale. It is the right-wing who is always talking about race and the left only talks about it in response.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2021, 11:19:25 PM »

The right eventually needs to be permanently removed from political relevance for racism to end on a large scale. It is the right-wing who is always talking about race and the left only talks about it in response.

Maybe like 50 years ago but that is hardly the case today. Their stated position is that everyone and especially white people need to be more aware and conscious of race. That is moving in the wrong direction.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 11:23:05 PM »

Maybe like 50 years ago but that is hardly the case today. Their stated position is that everyone and especially white people need to be more aware and conscious of race. That is moving in the wrong direction.

No, people need to be aware of racism, not race. There is a huge difference.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies