Why is nobody running for the Southern COD?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:38:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Why is nobody running for the Southern COD?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is nobody running for the Southern COD?  (Read 637 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2021, 11:28:24 AM »

There are only two people running for the COD, TimTurner, and reagante.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 03:18:11 PM »

There are way too many offices.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 03:41:02 PM »

? Unless you're suggesting to reduce the size of the Federal Senate, which is not really germane to this thread, not sure what you're getting at that would be relevant. The South has a small chamber of 5 seats and a Governor.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 06:21:41 PM »

There are way too many offices. zombies and far too few active players.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 11:57:34 AM »

Its also held in a month where it doesn't really coincide with any other elections, so it is easy to forget.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 05:12:39 PM »

Its also held in a month where it doesn't really coincide with any other elections, so it is easy to forget.

Yeah, this is why I would have preferred to keep Lincoln on a three month calendar even after Philly Repeal - would have kept July and January with multiple elections- but negotiations went in a different direction.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 01:44:48 AM »

On some past occasions the field was pretty barren before filling very late. That could happen this time as well.
EDIT: D'oh, completely forgot the election was late this month.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 06:24:32 AM »

Because state legislatures are irrelevant as of now. If you want to change that, you need to make a third of the senators elected by the state legislatures.

And in that case these state legislatures would be relevant again.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 08:47:44 AM »

Because state legislatures are irrelevant as of now. If you want to change that, you need to make a third of the senators elected by the state legislatures.

I'm opposed to legislatures electing senators on principle (we did scrap that in the US, after all Tongue) but I also fear that would create a 'smoke-filled room' type of approach where legislators just elect their friends to the Senate, rather than have candidates mount campaigns in open elections and appeal to the broader electorate.

Also, you can have relevant and productive legislatures. But you need active leadership at the helm and legislators who are willing to contribute, rather than simply back-bench, do nothing, and expect party leadership to elect you to the Senate for the simple reason that you exist.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 10:12:13 AM »

I'm opposed to legislatures electing senators on principle (we did scrap that in the US, after all Tongue) but I also fear that would create a 'smoke-filled room' type of approach where legislators just elect their friends to the Senate, rather than have candidates mount campaigns in open elections and appeal to the broader electorate.

Also, you can have relevant and productive legislatures. But you need active leadership at the helm and legislators who are willing to contribute, rather than simply back-bench, do nothing, and expect party leadership to elect you to the Senate for the simple reason that you exist.

I'm not asking that all the senators end up being elected through this way. But maybe three of them like the regional senators. It would force the parties to actively compete for the regional elections instead of focusing only on the senate/presidential one.

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 11:28:38 AM »

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 12:03:52 AM »

I'm not asking that all the senators end up being elected through this way. But maybe three of them like the regional senators. It would force the parties to actively compete for the regional elections instead of focusing only on the senate/presidential one.

Actually not entirely opposed to this idea. I'll have to give it some thought for sure.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 06:55:36 AM »

Actually not entirely opposed to this idea. I'll have to give it some thought for sure.
Yeah, it's an interesting idea that deserves more exploration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies