California court overturns law requiring nurses to correctly pronoun trans patients
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 01:51:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California court overturns law requiring nurses to correctly pronoun trans patients
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: California court overturns law requiring nurses to correctly pronoun trans patients  (Read 1093 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2021, 12:28:46 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna1468

Yes there was a legal penalty in prison involved.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:32:12 AM »

Great ruling
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 12:46:55 AM »

Good ruling.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 12:55:19 AM »

The court ruled that deadnaming trans seniors constitutes "an ideological disagreement with another person’s expressed gender identity," and therefore is somehow protected as free speech. Lunacy. This is textbook transphobic discrimination. No, free speech does not extend to verbally debasing seniors in nursing homes and care facilities. I pray this is struck down in a higher court to spare trans elders some mental and psychologic abuse.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 01:13:00 AM »

You cannot disagree with what someone's gender is, especially in a work environment. If you have a problem keep it to yourself and do your damn job.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 01:48:35 AM »

There should be no prison time or public criminal charge for such an offense. It's not free speech though and should be punishable by management.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 02:18:08 AM »

waaaah i support free speech but that doesn't mean you can say what you want
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 02:35:37 AM »

Not sure if it's a "good" ruling, but it is certainly the correct ruling.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 03:31:23 AM »

If you can't exercise a very basic courtesy towards patients that requires literally zero effort, you don't belong in any sort of job dealing with the public.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 04:10:00 AM »

If you can't exercise a very basic courtesy towards patients that requires literally zero effort, you don't belong in any sort of job dealing with the public.

This is also true. Why would you take a hospitality job if you're going to spend your time getting into "ideological disagreements" with the people you're supposed to be helping? This is like self-parody Ben Shapiro-tier crap.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 04:54:15 AM »

Agreed. However, this should be decided by the employer and not be something that is defined by law and certainly not something that is punishable by law.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 05:09:16 AM »

The court ruled that deadnaming trans seniors constitutes "an ideological disagreement with another person’s expressed gender identity," and therefore is somehow protected as free speech. Lunacy. This is textbook transphobic discrimination. No, free speech does not extend to verbally debasing seniors in nursing homes and care facilities.
Of course there's an ideological disagreement here — it's being covered by national media and it's the subject of a thread on this blog, and the state made a special law to criminalize it, none of which would be happening if there wasn't any underlying ideological disagreement.

None of that's to say that the ideological message being conveyed can't simultaneously be discriminatory, or offensive, or otherwise objectionable; one of the aspects of content is that it can offend. But the state's argument related to the quote you pulled was that there was no "content" regulated here whatsoever, employing some very strange logic that a pronoun, in general, can never carry any meaning, whatever the context, because its function is to replace a noun. That argument was, I think, rightly shot down.

Agreed. However, this should be decided by the employer and not be something that is defined by law and certainly not something that is punishable by law.

There are lots of laws that define and punish workplace speech. Whatever your employer thinks, you cannot sexually harass a coworker, for instance, or make racially demeaning comments to a customer. California already has a robust civil process that exists to address discrimination by businesses and their employees. If the legislature wanted to uphold this requirement, they could have slotted into the same framework. Instead, they decided to impose a criminal penalty, for reasons that are still not very clear to me.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 08:46:11 AM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 08:50:24 AM »

I wonder if the free speech gang will uphold the rights of nurses to call patients racial slurs because of “ideological disagreements”.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 08:55:15 AM »

I think that should result in termination (assuming done intentionally) but it shouldn't be against the law.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 09:00:40 AM »

You can argue that but arguing arguing it should be punishable by prison time is quite a stretch.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 09:02:09 AM »

I wonder if the free speech gang will uphold the rights of nurses to call patients racial slurs because of “ideological disagreements”.
If they do that they should be subject to workplace discipline no doubt. They shouldn't go to prison for it though.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 09:33:40 AM »

If they do that they should be subject to workplace discipline no doubt. They shouldn't go to prison for it though.

I agree. But I think it should be illegal.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 10:09:42 AM »

The court ruled that deadnaming trans seniors constitutes "an ideological disagreement with another person’s expressed gender identity," and therefore is somehow protected as free speech. Lunacy.

You cannot disagree with what someone's gender is

Authoritarians are deranged. Fortunately none of you will ever have the control over people and their minds that you so obviously, desperately desire. And fortunately there is still enough sanity and principle left in the courts of this country to strike down attempts by your like-minded comrades in Commiefornia to implement such control.

That being said, it is true that people who refuse to do their jobs and treat patients with respect can be fired or punished in the workplace for it. But that’s a concern of the employer, not the state. The rush to make everything a criminal offense punishable by the state is seriously disturbing. As is the left’s mockery and downplaying of free speech as somehow a right-wing concern these days. I wish I could say this thread was the first time I’d seen that but sadly it’s far from it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »

The court ruled that deadnaming trans seniors constitutes "an ideological disagreement with another person’s expressed gender identity," and therefore is somehow protected as free speech. Lunacy.

Authoritarians are deranged. Fortunately none of you will ever have the control over people and their minds that you so obviously, desperately desire. And fortunately there is still enough sanity and principle left in the courts of this country to strike down attempts by your like-minded comrades in Commiefornia to implement such control.

That being said, it is true that people who refuse to do their jobs and treat patients with respect can be fired or punished in the workplace for it. But that’s a concern of the employer, not the state. The rush to make everything a criminal offense punishable by the state is seriously disturbing. As is the left’s mockery and downplaying of free speech as somehow a right-wing concern these days. I wish I could say this thread was the first time I’d seen that but sadly it’s far from it.

You're from a state that elects Bitch McConnell and you're calling folks deranged? You cannot just misgender someone at work because you feel like it. It isn't your call because you do not know how someone truly feels within their own body.

And remember, you have free speech, but people also are free to curse you out or even slap you if you call them out their name. I've seen plenty of cases where people have received no charges for whooping somebody for calling them names or verbally attacking them.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 10:25:12 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2021, 10:33:55 AM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins. Transphobia affects people in real life.

The opinion said that transphobia is “potentially offensive” but doesn’t “necessarily create a hostile environment”. In what world does your nurse consistently insulting and disrespecting you because they “ideologically disagree” with basic facts about you not create a hostile environment?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 10:52:29 AM »

The court ruled that deadnaming trans seniors constitutes "an ideological disagreement with another person’s expressed gender identity," and therefore is somehow protected as free speech. Lunacy. This is textbook transphobic discrimination. No, free speech does not extend to verbally debasing seniors in nursing homes and care facilities. I pray this is struck down in a higher court to spare trans elders some mental and psychologic abuse.

Reading more into it and it actually is really pernicious. By this token, anti-Muslim slurs could be considered “an inartful way to express ideological disagreement with another person’s” religious beliefs. The whole premise of the opinion is that misgendering and deadnaming people is merely a somewhat uncouth way to express a legitimate belief (i.e. transphobia). Whatever one thinks about California constitutional law or civil vs criminal procedures or what have you, such deference would never be afforded to bare racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, etc.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 12:48:11 PM »

Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins. Transphobia affects people in real life.

The opinion said that transphobia is “potentially offensive” but doesn’t “necessarily create a hostile environment”. In what world does your nurse consistently insulting and disrespecting you because they “ideologically disagree” with basic facts about you not create a hostile environment?
You're being absurd, and I'm starting to question whether you actually read the opinion. The California law “criminalizes even occasional, isolated, off-hand instances of willful misgendering—provided there has been at least one prior instance—without requiring that such occasional instances of misgendering amount to harassing or discriminatory conduct. . . .  [T]here is no requirement that the resident even be aware of the misgendering.”

In what world is speech you're not aware of sufficient, on its own, to create a hostile environment? As the court points out, this is a much broader standard than is used for any other sort of workplace harassment complaints. It's certainly not the least restrictive means to regulate the speech in question here.

And yes, this is how it would work for racism, sexism, anti-Semitism — literally any other sort of workplace harassment. We want to prohibit, for example, persistent Islamophobic comments directed at a specific coworker, but we also want to allow people to speak freely about religion in general. I’m sure you can imagine a lot of comments that might fall somewhere in the middle, which is why we require any sort of content-based speech restriction to use the least restrictive means to achieve its goals, and why we have an entire civil administrative structure for handling these complaints.

The legislature chose to disregard that existing structure, which affords the accused some measure of due process to figure out if the comments were sufficient to create a hostile work environment, in favor of a sweeping criminal standard that extends to isolated comments made in private. That's the definition of an overbroad restriction on speech.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2021, 12:58:48 PM »

You're from a state that elects Bitch McConnell and you're calling folks deranged?
Why does that matter? Alben voted against McConnell.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 12:59:11 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2021, 03:36:31 PM by TheReckoning »

You're from a state that elects Bitch McConnell and you're calling folks deranged?

This has to be the worst “own” I have ever seen on this whole site.  
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies