National anthem kneeling in other countries thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:53:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  National anthem kneeling in other countries thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: National anthem kneeling in other countries thread  (Read 2259 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 06:18:37 PM »

It's come to Australia.

https://youtu.be/o1QrSj5zxR0

Not to everyones satisfaction obviously.

And we changed the national anthem today for the first time in 36 years.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-31/advance-australia-fair-national-anthem-historic-change/13024810

EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2021, 05:42:53 AM »

That's part of the reason, but the other part is that nobody really likes it as an anthem. Some people get annoyed by 'disrespect', but a non-negligible proportion of them would happily agree that Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory or whatever would be a better tune to use instead.

Isn't Land of Hope and Glory a subject of controversy too because of "wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set"?
Also total non-sequitur but I often myself signing Jerusalem as a Christian hymn. I love it.

It is, but a) with our history of imperialism, that's going to apply to pretty much every patriotic song; b) those who'd complain about people not singing the National Anthem wouldn't care about that; and c) 99.9% of the rest of the country wouldn't either - it's the sort of thing that is controversial on Twitter but most of the country are blissfully oblivious of.

That's part of the reason, but the other part is that nobody really likes it as an anthem. Some people get annoyed by 'disrespect', but a non-negligible proportion of them would happily agree that Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory or whatever would be a better tune to use instead.

That's a good point that I always forget: the times when its more relevant (sports) its mainly represented England and not Britain and that means that the Scots (and the Welsh) won't treat it like their national anthem and a lot of the English are like "why are we using a British song to represent England?".  And then you get the weirdos that seem to think that all four constituent countries should use it because "ITS THE ONLY NATIONAL ANTHEM" but they are a vast, vast minority.

It's even more confusing with rugby, where the Irish team covers both the Republic and Northern Ireland. They sing Ireland's Call, a song primarily designed to be as non-controversial as possible (mostly it's just repeating the word 'Ireland' vaguely in time to the tune.) Even then, there are always a few Ulster players who don't join in with the singing.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 03:41:25 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2021, 03:50:38 AM by Zinneke »

I've been to two Belgian cup finals, both times it was the Walloon side that ensured the anthem wasn't sung by making an absolute ding dong in the lead up and during it to the point that nobody even heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHb5f-R7_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvpm42GE-YI

I'm not sure when Flemish teams play but I've never seen any booing like in Catalonia. It shows how, fundamentally, outside of pure federal politics people are very indifferent to nationalism. N-VA is perhaps the most post-nationalist, in terms of its voter base, separatist movement. Although you do get some overt Flamingant supporters like Kortrijk, Lierse, Beerschot...but mainly because they are racist farmers.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 12:22:35 PM »

Henderson and other Liverpool players continue to kneel into 2021.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/georginio-wijnaldum-of-liverpool-and-jordan-henderson-news-photo/1296874299
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 12:30:54 PM »

It’s not kneeling to the national anthem (the national anthem isn’t played before games in the UK), and literally every single player and referee in the Premier League does it.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2021, 01:40:53 PM »

It’s not kneeling to the national anthem (the national anthem isn’t played before games in the UK), and literally every single player and referee in the Premier League does it.

What is Hendo kneeling about, then?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 01:42:43 PM »

All of the Premier League players (not sure why you’re singling out Henderson) have been taking a knee before every match since football returned in June to show their support for BLM. The reception has been overwhelmingly positive.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2021, 02:11:39 PM »

All of the Premier League players (not sure why you’re singling out Henderson) have been taking a knee before every match since football returned in June to show their support for BLM. The reception has been overwhelmingly positive.

So why is the Daily Mail and the Sun attacking them for doing so? Aren't the Tories saying anything about it?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »

So why is the Daily Mail and the Sun attacking them for doing so? Aren't the Tories saying anything about it?

Are you implying that the Sun is a newspaper with any credibility?
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2021, 04:44:04 PM »

Ah, The Sun, the famous beacon of relevant news coverage.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2021, 10:28:13 PM »

England's soccer team has consistently kneeled all year long, to the chagrin of a lot of blue-collar fans.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9732631/Euro-2020-Germany-talks-taking-knee-ahead-Wembley-showdown-against-England.html

Even Germany's Joachim Low, who is very dour and sad-looking, supports the move....

"We stand for all these values and think it's right to stand up for such values," Germany coach Joachim Löw told reporters on Monday. "The team has discussed what to do and told us that they will also take the knee. That's a great sign."
https://www.dw.com/en/euro-2020-germany-join-england-in-kneeling-protest/a-58084605
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2021, 12:49:29 AM »

England's soccer team has consistently kneeled all year long, to the chagrin of a lot of blue-collar fans.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9732631/Euro-2020-Germany-talks-taking-knee-ahead-Wembley-showdown-against-England.html

Even Germany's Joachim Low, who is very dour and sad-looking, supports the move....

"We stand for all these values and think it's right to stand up for such values," Germany coach Joachim Löw told reporters on Monday. "The team has discussed what to do and told us that they will also take the knee. That's a great sign."
https://www.dw.com/en/euro-2020-germany-join-england-in-kneeling-protest/a-58084605

Hes back

I missed you bronz Purple heart
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2021, 06:30:23 AM »

The funniest thing about the England team "taking the knee" is the apoplexy it caused in a few Tory MPs and right wing pundits, who loudly declared they would be boycotting watching matches for the foreseeable in protest at this NAKED SURRENDER TO MARXISM.

Ah well, the rest of us got to enjoy whupping the Germans whilst they fumed Smiley
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2021, 12:31:08 PM »

When did "blue-collar" become applied to Brits anyway? I view it as such an Americanism that I'm instinctively thrown when it's used to describe the British working class.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2021, 12:49:46 PM »

When did "blue-collar" become applied to Brits anyway? I view it as such an Americanism that I'm instinctively thrown when it's used to describe the British working class.

Most soccer fans are blue collar.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2021, 12:51:46 PM »

Most soccer fans are blue collar.

Yes this is definitely true. White collar Brits are too busy playing croquet.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2021, 03:10:09 PM »

Hes back

I missed you bronz Purple heart

I missed you all...
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2021, 05:11:10 AM »

I forgot to mention it when this thread was new, but in terms of kneeling, I know F1 does some small ceremony against racism before the race these days. This is not done while the national anthem of the host country is being played but rather shortly after that as part of the pre-race ceremonies.

They give the drivers a choice between standing up or kneeling, as well as allowing them to wear a shirt with whatever message they choose (most tend to just use the generic "we race as one" or "end racism" shirt). Looking at the first race of this 2021 season, exactly half the drivers (10/20) decided to kneel, while the other half decided to stand up.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2021, 07:53:52 PM »

The United States women's soccer team has kneeled since 2017-18ish, and will continue to....they knelt today in Tokyo...

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/564103-us-womens-soccer-team-kneels-ahead-of-olympic-match-after

Yes, the athletes have voiced their opinions and so on, it is good. They have brought awareness to the issue, but they have also brought fans to tune out......

I think as Manchester City footballer Kevin De Bruyne said, athletes can only do so much. Has politicians gotten the message yet?

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12316300/has-football-changed-since-george-floyds-murder

It would be a shame if BLM's core message declines because of a lack of political will to stand up to police unions and other entities perpetuating racism.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies