2021 College Football Discussion and Pick'em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:39:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2021 College Football Discussion and Pick'em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 57
Author Topic: 2021 College Football Discussion and Pick'em Thread  (Read 32895 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: October 19, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »

Yeah, it's mind blowing. I posted both of your comments almost verbatim elsewhere. No reason for MW to expand. We'll see how far that G5 Texas monopoly (Huh) goes when the WAC elects to use its right to self promote to FBS and SHSU, SFA, and Tarleton are ahead of 1-2 of these schools.

I wonder if the remaining C-USA would waive the exit fee to let UTEP go independent especially since it appears clear that Southern Miss will join the Sun Belt (smart move!) accompanied be either James Madison or Marshall. They need to tighten up the geography to entice Appalachia to save them - Kennesaw, Jax State, EKU tUNA, Chatty...maybe FAMU or NCAT if HBCUs are looking to make the jump.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #601 on: October 19, 2021, 11:53:54 AM »

Graham Harrell is conceptually interesting: he runs an offense that's been proven to work at Washington State and he's the guy I thought they would try to get when Leach left. The USC job being open might complicate things, but I'm not sure how serious a contender he is. Alex Grinch was at Wazzu recently, but he might be too big for that job now (although Rolovich's salary would double Grinch's current salary). My guess is that Dickert will be given a real opportunity to win the job, but given that the Cougars have ripped off three straight wins against teams that should be better than them, there's a good chance that regression means that it ends up looking like the team collapsed on his watch.

No way Harrell is a serious candidate for USC. If there’s one thing you can count on it is that an AD will try to avoid the mistake of their predecessor. Clay Helton was an unknown; a coordinator who did well enough as interim to get the big job. With Helton failing USC will go out of their way to avoid hiring another in-program coordinator to avoid looking like they’re doing the same thing. I expect them to try for some big popular name. 

Sure, I remember when USC didn't promote its interim head coach who everyone loved and everyone thought this was a mistake and so then the next time they promoted the interim head coach whom nobody cared about. That's why this time the interim head coach is some guy who can't possibly be an option for the permanent job. Given that Harrell is not the interim and can't be promoted on that basis, I don't think that that rules out his getting a serious look for the permanent job on the basis of his work as offensive coordinator. It wouldn't necessarily be the same situation as with Orgeron or Helton.

Anyway, I am less than convinced that USC will try to go for a big name. Everyone speaking with confidence about how Urban Meyer will show up at a USC press conference any day now knows nothing about the university's administration. There's no chance they're going after a low-character guy like that given the issues the university has faced in recent years. More generally, USC has pretty much always gone for weird head coaching hires rather than just taking a big name.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #602 on: October 19, 2021, 12:25:17 PM »

UNT is basically the only program in C-USA or Sun Belt that has real potential to grow, imo. The rest is basically respectable programs already at their potential, filler programs with no potential, and a few in between. So any AAC poaching is going to be pretty mediocre.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #603 on: October 19, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »

Graham Harrell is conceptually interesting: he runs an offense that's been proven to work at Washington State and he's the guy I thought they would try to get when Leach left. The USC job being open might complicate things, but I'm not sure how serious a contender he is. Alex Grinch was at Wazzu recently, but he might be too big for that job now (although Rolovich's salary would double Grinch's current salary). My guess is that Dickert will be given a real opportunity to win the job, but given that the Cougars have ripped off three straight wins against teams that should be better than them, there's a good chance that regression means that it ends up looking like the team collapsed on his watch.

No way Harrell is a serious candidate for USC. If there’s one thing you can count on it is that an AD will try to avoid the mistake of their predecessor. Clay Helton was an unknown; a coordinator who did well enough as interim to get the big job. With Helton failing USC will go out of their way to avoid hiring another in-program coordinator to avoid looking like they’re doing the same thing. I expect them to try for some big popular name. 

Sure, I remember when USC didn't promote its interim head coach who everyone loved and everyone thought this was a mistake and so then the next time they promoted the interim head coach whom nobody cared about. That's why this time the interim head coach is some guy who can't possibly be an option for the permanent job. Given that Harrell is not the interim and can't be promoted on that basis, I don't think that that rules out his getting a serious look for the permanent job on the basis of his work as offensive coordinator. It wouldn't necessarily be the same situation as with Orgeron or Helton.

Anyway, I am less than convinced that USC will try to go for a big name. Everyone speaking with confidence about how Urban Meyer will show up at a USC press conference any day now knows nothing about the university's administration. There's no chance they're going after a low-character guy like that given the issues the university has faced in recent years. More generally, USC has pretty much always gone for weird head coaching hires rather than just taking a big name.

My gut for USC is still telling me Mario Cristobal.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #604 on: October 19, 2021, 04:51:17 PM »

Dabo Swinney's had to go out and deny interest in the opening at LSU.

Clemson football's Dabo Swinney said Tuesday that he had no interest in the LSU coaching vacancy at this point, joking that he was surprised to be considered "a big-time coach."

"This is the only Death Valley I'm concerned with right here," Swinney said, referring to the stadiums in Clemson and Baton Rouge, which are both nicknamed "Death Valley."

Swinney has been speculated to be a possible candidate to replace Ed Orgeron since LSU agreed to part ways with its coach after this season -- just two years after winning the national title.

I don't think Dabo would be making a denial like this if LSU weren't interested in hiring him, quite honestly, but I think either the NFL, or one of the Alabama/Ohio State/Notre Dame jobs will be next for Dabo, whenever those open up.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #605 on: October 19, 2021, 04:55:05 PM »

I don't think Dabo would be making a denial like this if LSU weren't interested in hiring him, quite honestly
Woodward has basically said as much — that his strategy here is to go after the biggest name he can get and only turn to other options once they've said no. Probably won't pan out, but you only need one to say yes, and there's a reason people are tossing out names like Franklin and Fisher (even if the latter in particular would be financial suicide). I think Napier would be a smart hire here, but it sounds like they're going after a bigger fish.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #606 on: October 19, 2021, 05:01:03 PM »

Dabo Swinney's had to go out and deny interest in the opening at LSU.

Clemson football's Dabo Swinney said Tuesday that he had no interest in the LSU coaching vacancy at this point, joking that he was surprised to be considered "a big-time coach."

"This is the only Death Valley I'm concerned with right here," Swinney said, referring to the stadiums in Clemson and Baton Rouge, which are both nicknamed "Death Valley."

Swinney has been speculated to be a possible candidate to replace Ed Orgeron since LSU agreed to part ways with its coach after this season -- just two years after winning the national title.

I don't think Dabo would be making a denial like this if LSU weren't interested in hiring him, quite honestly, but I think either the NFL, or one of the Alabama/Ohio State/Notre Dame jobs will be next for Dabo, whenever those open up.

The only college job Dabo could conceivably leave for would be Alabama. And that would be Mama calling. Nowhere else in CFB would pay enough to be worth leaving Clemson for…and Clemson is a better job for a coach than any of those that you mentioned.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #607 on: October 19, 2021, 08:08:33 PM »

I am still so sad about Coach O getting fired, the 2019 LSU season remains one of the best things I have ever seen in college football, it was so magical.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #608 on: October 19, 2021, 09:59:16 PM »

Friday, October 22nd

Memphis @ UCF 7 PM EDT ESPN2

Saturday, October 23rd

#16 Wake Forest @ Army Noon EDT CBSSN

Kansas State @ Texas Tech Noon EDT FS1

Northern Illinois @ Central Michigan Noon EDT ESPNU

Syracuse @ Virginia Tech 12:30 PM EDT ESPN3

Texas State @ Georgia State 2 PM EDT ESPN+

Wisconsin @ #25 Purdue 3 PM EDT BTN

#8 Oklahoma State @ Iowa State 3:30 PM EDT FOX

#10 Oregon @ UCLA 3:30 PM EDT ABC

LSU @ #12 Ole Miss 3:30 PM EDT CBS

Clemson @ #23 Pittsburgh 3:30 PM EDT ESPN

Maryland @ Minnesota 3:30 PM EDT ESPN2

Miami (OH) @ Ball State 3:30 PM EDT ESPN+

Buffalo @ Akron 3:30 PM EDT ESPN+

Colorado @ California 3:30 PM EDT PAC12

BYU @ Washington State 3:30 PM EDT FS1

Boston College @ Louisville 4 PM EDT ACCN

East Carolina @ Houston 4 PM EDT ESPNU

Tennessee @ #4 Alabama 7 PM EDT ESPN

#22 San Diego State @ Air Force 7 PM EDT CBSSN

Nevada @ Fresno State 7 PM EDT FS2

USC @ #13 Notre Dame 7:30 PM EDT NBC

Georgia Tech @ Virginia 7:30 PM EDT ACCN

West Virginia @ TCU 7:30 PM EDT ESPNU

Utah @ Oregon State 7:30 PM EDT PAC12
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #609 on: October 20, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »

I just heard someone say, "Go Green, Go White, Can't Read, Can't Write." The rivalry between our brave boys in Green and that school is alive and well and many couches will be burned.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #610 on: October 20, 2021, 12:40:20 PM »

Week 8

Friday, October 22nd

Saturday, October 23rd

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #611 on: October 20, 2021, 12:54:45 PM »

I just heard someone say, "Go Green, Go White, Can't Read, Can't Write." The rivalry between our brave boys in Green and that school is alive and well and many couches will be burned.
If I had a dollar for every Asian UM PhD student I've met who couldn't read or write to save their life...
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #612 on: October 20, 2021, 02:18:28 PM »

It looks like the Sun Belt wants Marshall, Southern Miss, Old Dominion, and James Madison, which will leave CUSA with five members.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #613 on: October 20, 2021, 02:33:04 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2021, 03:19:51 PM by Donerail »

It looks like the Sun Belt wants Marshall, Southern Miss, Old Dominion, and James Madison, which will leave CUSA with five members.
The movement to watch here is ASUN/WAC reclassification to the FBS level; the WAC in particular could provide a landing spot for UTEP (and NMSU) as CUSA collapses, and if those leagues are moving up soon there's no reason for a school in either of those conferences to attempt to jump to CUSA.

The only school that wants to move up that's not in either league and wants to move up is JMU (edit: and Bobby Petrino's Missouri State, which), and if they're getting Sun Belt interest there's no point in moving to CUSA. I don't see why Liberty or even NMSU should join CUSA at this point. Not a lot of reasons to make the jump. Really looks like the conference is dead at this point.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #614 on: October 20, 2021, 02:44:41 PM »

The movement to watch here is ASUN/WAC reclassification to the FBS level; the WAC in particular could provide a landing spot for UTEP (and NMSU) as CUSA collapses, and if those leagues are moving up soon there's no reason for a school in either of those conferences to attempt to jump to CUSA.

The only school that wants to move up that's not in either league and wants to move up is JMU, and if they're getting Sun Belt interest there's no point in moving to CUSA. I don't see why Liberty or even NMSU should join CUSA at this point. Not a lot of reasons to make the jump. Really looks like the conference is dead at this point.

I subsequently saw a rumor that CUSA is reaching out to Liberty and JMU partly as encouragement for Marshall and ODU to stay put.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #615 on: October 20, 2021, 09:21:46 PM »

Possible upset brewing tonight, as #14 Coastal Carolina and Appalachian State are tied at 27 early in the fourth quarter, and Appalachian State just got the ball back.

Coastal Carolina losing tonight would be good news for Cincinnati, as that would all but lock up a New Year's Six spot for them, assuming they beat SMU on November 20.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #616 on: October 20, 2021, 09:27:14 PM »

Week 8

Friday, October 22nd

Saturday, October 23rd

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #617 on: October 20, 2021, 10:31:29 PM »

And down goes #14 Coastal Carolina!
'
Appalachian State pulls off the upset, 30-27!
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #618 on: October 20, 2021, 11:21:38 PM »

#16 Wake Forest @ Army Noon EDT CBSSN Have you talked to your kids about an undefeated Wake Forest?

Clemson @ #23 Pittsburgh 3:30 PM EDT ESPN I have an irrational distrust of Pitt's consistency

Tennessee @ #4 Alabama 7 PM EDT ESPN lol

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #619 on: October 21, 2021, 07:17:16 AM »

This may be the boldest pick of the year.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #620 on: October 21, 2021, 09:57:01 AM »

The six CUSA teams mentioned earlier have officially joined the AAC, giving the latter 14 members -- for now (there are a few persistent rumors that the Big 12 isn't done expanding and is likely to eventually add Memphis and Boise State).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #621 on: October 21, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »

Even I, who loves picking upsets, am not this crazy.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #622 on: October 21, 2021, 11:34:32 AM »

bones back
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #623 on: October 21, 2021, 05:12:21 PM »

This weekend against Pitt, Clemson is the underdog for the first time since their 2014 matchup at Florida State.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #624 on: October 21, 2021, 06:48:29 PM »

The mustard gives Tennessee power
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies