Which states are part of the "Deep South?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:54:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which states are part of the "Deep South?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Alabama

Arkansas

Florida

Georgia

Louisiana

Mississippi

North Carolina

Oklahoma

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which states are part of the "Deep South?"  (Read 1428 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »

The five that voted for Barry Goldwater is the correct answer.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 02:45:46 PM »

Something like this is a contemporary sense:

The red region on this map in a historical sense:
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 02:47:03 PM »

It is really cruel and unusual punishment for Arkansas to be excluded in that way. I did not suffer a culture shock when I crossed the state line from Louisiana into Arkansas. It still felt like I was on another planet.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »

It is really cruel and unusual punishment for Arkansas to be excluded in that way. I did not suffer a culture shock when I crossed the state line from Louisiana into Arkansas. It still felt like I was on another planet.

Well, of course someone unfamiliar with the South would gloss over its important subregional cleavages and divides Tongue

The American South is roughly equal in size to Western Europe.  It is much larger than a singular place or culture. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 04:16:04 PM »

Yeah, basically the above maps. There are slivers and segments of other states that could be included in the region but on a statewide level, there are only 5:

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 04:22:49 PM »

Something like this is a contemporary sense:

The red region on this map in a historical sense:

Out of curiosity, what is that second map?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 04:26:34 PM »

My thoughts re: Arkansas

Arkansas is definitely not part of the Deep South.  It’s a Whiter, more mountainous state with very little plantation influence.  It’s votes/acts more like TN/KY than AL/MS.   
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 04:35:27 PM »

Out of curiosity, what is that second map?

It's a map I made showing the three, broadly-defined American cultural regions.  We have a Puritan-derived, communitarian Yankee ethos, a chivalrous and tradition-bound Dixie culture and a dominant, Germanic Midland culture.  The yellow regions represent the four distinct cultural enclaves that defy this broader typology:  the Hispanic Southwest, Cajun/Creole Louisiana, Latin-Caribbean South Florida and New York City.

This map resulted from a thought exercise of shrinking Colin Woodward's 11 American Nations down to 3.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 04:36:05 PM »

Dark Green = Deep South
Medium Green = South
Light Green = Has significant culturally Southern regions

VA was a close call but I went with medium green because a majority of the population does still live outside DC commuting range.  
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 06:05:24 PM »

Here's how I see it:

Image Link

North Carolina and Oklahoma were close calls to put in the "Upper South" region or not.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 09:52:08 PM »

The five states proposed for New Afrika by its 1968 foundational conference and that voted for Goldwater in 1964 are the ones that come to mind for me, personally.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 10:06:12 PM »

Arkansas voted for Truman in 1948, LBJ in 1964 but voted for Wallace in 1968. It is debatable if it is Deep South or Upper South.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 11:14:44 PM »

Arkansas voted for Truman in 1948, LBJ in 1964 but voted for Wallace in 1968. It is debatable if it is Deep South or Upper South.

Arkansas has arguably become less Southern over time as its population and economic center of gravity has shifted away from Little Rock and the eastern agricultural counties to the far northwest corner of the state due to the Waltonization of the state.

The Arkansas of 50+ years ago had much in common with Mississippi and Tennessee. The Arkansas of today is closer, economically and culturally, to Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 01:05:30 AM »

The 5 Goldwater states only. There are bits of pieces of other states that are "deep south" (northwest FL, Memphis TN, maybe the AR Delta, a bit of East Texas) but those states are not Deep South as a whole.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 02:08:00 AM »

My thoughts regarding LA: while on paper some of its demography and history would suggest a good fit for the Deep South, it is (in essence) far too Catholic and Frenchie to be legitimately included as part of a region that was/is almost universally white protestant, black protestant & native English-speaking. Strip away "social conservatism" or what have you and it is a completely different world (much more so than, say, AR or even NC).
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 08:25:39 PM »

When I think of the truly Deep South in modern terms I think of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas. 

GA/SC/NC and certainly VA have changed too much to really be considered Deep South anymore from a cultural perspective, though large rural areas within each are.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 08:52:01 PM »

The 1st 7 states to join the Confederacy.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 01:21:42 PM »

I went for AL, AR, GA, LA, MS, SC
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 03:00:40 PM »

I went for AL, AR, GA, LA, MS, SC
This is exactly what I chose. I considered adding FL because it's to the south of all those states, but it's always been less race-consious or 'southern' as the other states (with the possible exception of Northern Florida). It's much less white than the other Deep South states, excluding GA. (By the way, I would say the current Deep South no longer includes Georgia, where most of the state retains remnants of a 'Deep South' culture, but where half the population is concentrated in the Atlanta metropolitan area alone. No other Deep South State is as urban as GA, so in a historic and geographic sense, yes, it's technically a 'Deep South' state, but for all practical purposes, it's not much more 'Deep South' than FL.)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 12:53:59 PM »

When I think of the truly Deep South in modern terms I think of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas. 

GA/SC/NC and certainly VA have changed too much to really be considered Deep South anymore from a cultural perspective, though large rural areas within each are.

Atlanta is a Deep South city through and through, and just cause GA votes dem now doesnt mean it isnt deep south anymore.
chalmetteowl
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 01:23:32 PM »

It's the area you get when you draw lines connecting Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa. New Orleans is the unofficial capital of the Deep South, but Birmingham has an argument as that's where SEC headquarters are located
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies