Political future of Muskegon County, MI?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:37:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Political future of Muskegon County, MI?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How do you think Muskegon County, Michigan will trend in future elections?
It will continue to trend to the GOP
It will revert back and trend blue
It will not trend either way
It will barely trend (comment which direction)
Results
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Political future of Muskegon County, MI?  (Read 481 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2021, 12:37:38 PM »

Muskegon County has voted Democrat in every election since 1988, however it has been competitive in 2016 and 2020. In 2020, it trended 3.5 points to the right compared to where it was in 2016 relative to the country. Muskegon County is 81% white and 14% black. It's median household income is $51k at a time when the median household income for the country was $63k. 20% of Muskegon County Residents have at least a bachelor's degree vs 32% for the country as a whole at that time. The unemployment and poverty rates are both above average.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 03:19:02 PM »

Judging from demographics, it's likely headed towards the GOP.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 11:28:02 PM »

It should be noted that this county might shrink in size due to its outer regions (aside from the city of Muskegon proper) wanting to either secede to form a new county or join other neighboring counties. May I ask the OP if you want us to take that possibility into account?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 01:01:02 AM »

It should be noted that this county might shrink in size due to its outer regions (aside from the city of Muskegon proper) wanting to either secede to form a new county or join other neighboring counties. May I ask the OP if you want us to take that possibility into account?
Is a county being broken up really likely enough to deserve a space in a poll?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 12:14:30 AM »

Muskegon County has voted Democrat in every election since 1988, however it has been competitive in 2016 and 2020. In 2020, it trended 3.5 points to the right compared to where it was in 2016 relative to the country. Muskegon County is 81% white and 14% black. It's median household income is $51k at a time when the median household income for the country was $63k. 20% of Muskegon County Residents have at least a bachelor's degree vs 32% for the country as a whole at that time. The unemployment and poverty rates are both above average.
It will likely become more of a satellite of Grand Rapids. A port that is closed several months a year can't prosper. There will be a trains and trucks that are more reliable.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 11:33:33 AM »

I actually visited there last month, I imagine it will continue to trend toward the GOP.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 01:53:36 PM »

Depends on the 2024 GOP nominee, but I'd actually say it stays the same or trends blue. Trump probably hasn't gained any supporters since 2020 and some Obama 2012 / Trump 2020 voters may go back to being blue if Trump doesn't run, while others may anyway after January 6. I think Biden's 0.6% margin was the low point for Democrats in the county, at least for now. Also depends on the national political climate in 2024 and Biden's popularity.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 08:50:52 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2021, 08:54:38 PM by 799 Joplin Ancestral-R Single-Issue Tornado Response Voters »

I don't see much change happening. I just don't see what's left to trend, either direction.

I mean, Mahoning flipped in 2020. If Muskegon was going to go R, it would have.

Titanium Tilt D county?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 09:06:53 PM »

I don't see much change happening. I just don't see what's left to trend, either direction.

I mean, Mahoning flipped in 2020. If Muskegon was going to go R, it would have.

Titanium Tilt D county?

Mahoning flipped because Dem voters have been leaving the county. If Muskegon flips it will be because of the GOP peeling off Dem voters. 
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 09:19:35 PM »

John James won it last year, so the GOP definitely has a chance down the road
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 09:54:54 PM »

Is a county being broken up really likely enough to deserve a space in a poll?

Seems like not, but it was seriously proposed:
https://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/2021/06/reactions-to-secessionist-talk-in-muskegon-county-range-from-laughingstock-to-brilliant.html
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 10:48:01 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2021, 11:14:08 AM by 799 Joplin Ancestral-R Single-Issue Tornado Response Voters »

John James won it last year, so the GOP definitely has a chance down the road

That actually suggests that the county has reached max-R at some point between 2016 and 2020, and is moving (very slowly and very slightly) left.

This assumes, of course, that current coalition changes do not reverse, or reverse very evenly and simultaneously.

See Pennsylvania for an example of this at the state level (Joe Torsella winning while Clinton loses and then losing while Biden wins).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies