Next Nova Scotia general election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:01:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Next Nova Scotia general election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Next Nova Scotia general election  (Read 12219 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« on: July 20, 2021, 07:28:34 PM »

Looks like Preston is finally living up to it's designed purpose once again, for the first time in 20 years (as was pointed out earlier) the MLA will be from the Black Community; the Liberals, PCs and NDP are all running Black candidates.

https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/featured/for-the-first-time-in-nova-scotia-election-history-all-the-candidates-in-one-riding-are-black/?fbclid=IwAR1EeGJuOQQ9mZr1XAstmBJDmq2HJRnrR65AxyQRk01sx7cvGH9FzP8EzVI
I think drawing a Preston district is ridiculous, not only is the district severely underpopulated but it's also only 40% black with a history of returning white reps. It's clear that Nova Scotia doesn't have the same racial polarization present in america that required drawing special majority minority district for the minority to have any representation.

IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 10:46:19 AM »

Interestingly, the NDP is the first party to have nominated a full slate of candidates.

Good sign for them. They usually have to scramble to find candidates in their dead zone (e.g. Yarmouth)

Does that have to do with Dexter and the ferry?

Precisely. Once that ferry subsidy was cut, the NDP went from polling the 20's (and briefly holding the seat in the 90's) to being lucky to get 5%.
Why did they cut it ?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 09:14:11 AM »

Debate will be July 28, 6:00-7:30 Atlantic time.
Which parties are represented and by whom ?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 11:02:33 PM »

Debate will be July 28, 6:00-7:30 Atlantic time.
Which parties are represented and by whom ?

Pretty standard. Liberal, Tory, NDP all represented by their leaders. The other parties have no seats and won't come close to running a full slate of candidates, so there's none of the drama around debates that you sometimes see at the federal level.
The Green party wasn't able to run a full slate ?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 08:46:47 AM »

338Canada has a projection model for the election and it's just awful.

There's no attempt to deal with obvious star candidates like Bill Casey and John Morgan, and the model doesn't even include incumbent independent MLA's running for re-election.

Oh and to top it all off, the map is labeled "New Brunswick Projection"

When do I get my "Maritime Alienation" thinkpieces?
I don't think mathematical models are usefull when dealing with areas with such quirky politics.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 08:37:01 AM »

That sounds incredibly boring.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 01:13:07 AM »

Think I've made my decision.

I voted Liberal last time on the grounds that the Liberals were to the right of the Tories, and I really liked Stephen McNeil. I can't stand either Tim Houston or Rankin (especially Rankin), but Rankin's platform is slightly more fiscally conservative, and was oriented more towards the Halifax suburbs *.

I'm casting a personal vote for my Tory MLA, who I had a great experience with on a constituent issue, and am more or less indifferent to the overall result.

*The Tories under Jamie Baillie and Tim Houston have outflanked the Liberals and NDP on rural healthcare. This is a great example of Red Toryism that isn't the cliche fiscon-solib that pundits love but only 3% of the population supports.
Do the parties have any policy differences on immigration ? I know that Atlantic Canda is pretty active in it's use of the provincal nomination system but is the issue political ?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies