Beet Voting Reform Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:31:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Beet Voting Reform Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Beet Voting Reform Act  (Read 2754 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2004, 11:31:48 PM »
« edited: June 16, 2004, 11:32:00 PM by Senator Beet »

1. All federal weekend elections will take place over the course of 72 hours encompassing the entirety of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Forum Time.

2. If any voter will be unable to vote in a federal election during the time alotted, he or she may request to advance vote at any time between the end of the filing deadline for candidates and the beginning of the election. During this time there will be a specified, sticky thread set up for the purpose of informing forum citizens of their right to advance vote, and advance voting will also take place in this thread.

3. This bill applies to all federal elections taking place after June 17, 2004.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 11:35:53 PM »

If elected to the senate, I will vote "yea" on this bill. Thank you, Beet.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 11:40:41 PM »

Your welcome, Nation. I just noticed so many threads on this issue tonight. And there hasn't even been anyone who has said they need this. But since it's being taken seriously there should be a bill on it.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 03:51:32 AM »

I think that this is an excellent Act Beet and support its passage wholeheartedly, if you require me to speak in favour just say the word.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 06:35:20 AM »

I support this bill, and will sign it if passed.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 09:27:05 AM »

I would like to install a Louisiana-style runoff election system.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 02:35:59 PM »

I have some issues with the whole absentee voting thing.  We already have elections that span a whole weekend, why do we need to further extend the time for voting?  I'm afraid absentee voting may just create confusion.  I'd like to know who is going to count these votes, who is going to keep track of absentee ballots, where they will be posted, etc.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 03:59:18 PM »

I cant see any immediate problems with this bill, but i'd like to discuss it in more detail after these elections.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 04:09:20 PM »

I think that this is an excellent Act Beet and support its passage wholeheartedly, if you require me to speak in favour just say the word.

Please do, JFK. Lets get the debate started on this bill. I realize that this will allow potentially quite a long time for voting, but some people may be legitimately unable to access their computer due to some vacation or other commitment during the weekend, or maybe will just be so busy that they might be unable to vote. Having a longer election time seems to make sense as this forum revolves around elections, and we only hold federal elections once every two months, so there should be as much opportunity as possible for people to participate. In the last election we definitely had people voting towards the very end.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 04:27:31 PM »

Please do, JFK. Lets get the debate started on this bill. I realize that this will allow potentially quite a long time for voting, but some people may be legitimately unable to access their computer due to some vacation or other commitment during the weekend, or maybe will just be so busy that they might be unable to vote. Having a longer election time seems to make sense as this forum revolves around elections, and we only hold federal elections once every two months, so there should be as much opportunity as possible for people to participate. In the last election we definitely had people voting towards the very end.

I will make a speech on this tomorrow then, right now I plan to go to bed.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 04:29:35 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2004, 05:10:24 PM by Senator Beet »

I will make a speech on this tomorrow then, right now I plan to go to bed.

Ok thanks.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 04:31:36 PM »

I have some issues with the whole absentee voting thing.  We already have elections that span a whole weekend, why do we need to further extend the time for voting?  I'm afraid absentee voting may just create confusion.  I'd like to know who is going to count these votes, who is going to keep track of absentee ballots, where they will be posted, etc.
I agree with StevenNick on this one.
we don't need to make things more complicated.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 05:39:14 PM »

This isn't making things more complicated -- no one used the absentee voting anyway, and there was a sticky thread that Gustaf made had anyone wished to use it.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 06:24:45 PM »

Demrepdan would have used it probably...he said he wanted to vote absentee before he left to go out of town. He said he'll probably make it back in time to vote, but he's not sure.

If he votes just past the time that the polls close, I'd say his vote ought to count, given the fact that he clearly expressed a desire to vote in advance. However, if that is viewed as running roughshod over the Constiution, I wouldn't personally press the issue. I do feel, though, that given his stated desire to vote, he should be allowed to if for some reason he can't quite make it in time. Let's hope it's not an issue.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 06:28:17 PM »

Isn't Gore for President voting absentee?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2004, 06:43:55 PM »

He expressed a desire to...he hasn't voted yet though.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004, 05:16:55 AM »

(JFK takes the floor)

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, I think that this bill that the honourable Senator Beet has proposed is an excellent bill and I would just like to outline why.

Well firstly, I greatly approve of extending the time that the voting booth stays open because this will increase voter turnout, and, increasing voter turnout makes for a more Democratic society as you will have a greater majority voting.

I feel it will also make elections more competitive, as, as I have said, the longer the polls remain open, the more people will vote which means that candidates will need to win over a greater amount of people and thus a greater amount of support to win an election.

I also think that this shall grant a greater chance to vote to voters as it will mean not only do they have a longer amount of time to vote in in case they will be absent over the weekend, but they would be able to request an absentee ballot and thus vote before which will help with voter turnout and ensure that everyone who wishes to vote, can do, in case for some reason they are unable to during the alotted time.

I think that this bill sets a good precedent on when absentee voting should begin, just after the filing deadline is the perfect choice as by then all possible candidates will be known and no others will crop up. There is only one possible problem which I see with this and that is that the debates generally take place after the filing deadline and this would mean that people who voted before the debates would not have a chance to change their vote if they agree more with one candidate on a debate.

I feel that this is a problem which we need to work on a solution for, however, this Bill, as I said, will set an excellent precedent on absentee voting and on the length that the polls are open for.

I would just like to finally address the third clause, "This bill applies to all federal elections taking place after June 17, 2004."

This clause I feel is very important as it contains the word "Federal". A word which here makes this Bill worthy of passage. It does not infringe on the rights of each Region and their Regional Governor as this only accounts for federal elections which means the citizens of each region will be granted the chance to decide on how their gubernatorial elections shall occur, a right, which I feel, is necessary for each Region.

And so, I would like to throw my whole-hearted support behind this most excellent Bill, and, encourage its passage through the Senate post-haste.

I see only one problem with the Bill and that can be easily addressed by arranging a series of debates, as most Candidates were chosen before the filing deadlines. This would not only allow those absentee voters to take a good look at the policies of candidates, but, it would also allow a range of issues to be discussed over a greater period of time which would allow greater participation.

As I have said, the problems with this Bill are minor and easily resolved, the benefits however, are great and will work towards a more Democratic society.

On that note, I would like to step down and urge you all to vote in favour of this excellent piece of legislature.

(JFK steps down from the floor)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 10:01:07 AM »

*bump*
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004, 11:04:15 AM »

Get rid of absentee voting and I wholeheartedly support this amendment.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 01:08:01 PM »

Get rid of absentee voting and I wholeheartedly support this amendment.

I completely agree.  And by the way, this is going to have to be a constitutional amendment considering it would stands in direct violation of Article II, Section II, Clause I as well as Article I, Section 6, Clause 3 should it pass as a bill rather than a constitutional amendment.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2004, 01:24:28 PM »

While we're on the subject of election reform, I have a few other things I'd like to see added to the constitutional amendment.

For one thing, I'd like to see the registration deadline (See Article V, Clause IV) cut in half from 10 days before the election to five.  I would also like to see the 18 posts requirement removed.  Granted, 18 posts are not many, but too many new members who try to register are told that they cannot and simply never come back.  I would also like to include a provision making it illegal for a candidate to be in charge of administering the election

I would like to create a non partisan cabinet position of Secretary of Elections.  The Secretary of Elections would be barred from ever seeking elected office while serving in that capacity.  It would be the duty of the Secretary of Elections to make the ballot, open and close the polls, count the votes, watch out for voter fraud, maintain a current voter registration list, and any other election oriented tasks.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2004, 02:05:38 PM »

I hereby officially propose to amend the bill by removing the provision establishing absentee voting.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2004, 04:46:50 PM »

Just because there were no absentee votes in the last election when we didn't even set it up until 24 hours before the start of polling, this does not mean that at some future time somebody will be travelling and be gone for a while at the time when our elections are held. Just look at Supreme Court Justice MAS and Josh22, they will both be gone for a while travelling. Should forum members have to adjust their schedule around our fantasy elections for the sake of not having absentee balloting? Certainly not. Early balloting should only be allowed when there is a real, credible reason, and it should not have a big impact on the election, but nevertheless it should be an option.

Also I believe this must be an amendment.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2004, 11:16:47 PM »

I don't see any reason not to have absentee voting. Would you also endorse the abolishment of absentee voting in real life? We have this in real elections, why not here, too?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2004, 07:24:38 AM »

Just because there were no absentee votes in the last election when we didn't even set it up until 24 hours before the start of polling, this does not mean that at some future time somebody will be travelling and be gone for a while at the time when our elections are held. Just look at Supreme Court Justice MAS and Josh22, they will both be gone for a while travelling. Should forum members have to adjust their schedule around our fantasy elections for the sake of not having absentee balloting? Certainly not. Early balloting should only be allowed when there is a real, credible reason, and it should not have a big impact on the election, but nevertheless it should be an option.

Also I believe this must be an amendment.

Indeed it must be, what Beet is proposing is not in fact an Act but a Constitutional Amendment so when it comes to the voting it will require a two-thirds majority to pass it.

I will open the voting for this Amendment next Friday around 12pm EST. Until then, let's get some lively debate going!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies