Confirmation Hearing: IBNU for Secretary of State (Confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:27:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: IBNU for Secretary of State (Confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: IBNU for Secretary of State (Confirmed)  (Read 3696 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« on: July 12, 2021, 01:15:57 AM »

Could the nominee please elaborate on what areas of international relations their expertise lies in, and to what degree?

As a follow-up to Scott's question, what are your stances on the recent Taiwan rolling electrical blackout, the various actions Atlasia has taken to support Hong Kong refugees, and the PRC's threats of retaliation against Atlasia if we continue to show support for our allies in the region – all covered in recent updates from the Citizen's Dispatch if you need a reference – and what steps would you take in response to these ongoing situations?

On the flip side, do you agree or disagree with the stance that Atlasia needs to wind down its perceived confrontations with China (with the associated risks to our allies) in favor of pursuing cooperation on trade deals, environmental cooperation and the like, and why?

I want to reiterate too that these are all fairly important and ongoing questions that Devout Centrist regrettably did not publicly address all that consistently, and I would prefer that the next SoS is prepared to both tackle them with the President in private and justify their decisions to Congress and the citizens in public.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 12:48:19 AM »

Please be respectful of the nominee you guys. Aside from being one of the only people interested in the job, the nominee has strong ideas and goals and will be an active presence. If you think making a big deal out of minor misunderstandings is truly what's best for the game, by all means go right ahead.

I'm sure the President can rest absolutely assured that I intended and intend to treat the nominee respectfully. Asking questions related to the nominee's responses is hardly out of line in a confirmation hearing.

I have worked in the field extensively prior to being elected to the office.

Just as a clarification, the SoS is not an elected office – unless you're referring to the Lincoln Council or some RL position related to your prior experience, in which latter case I would greatly appreciate further information on which areas you worked in.

With regards to your question regarding our policy towards the Asia pacific  region, I will work to maintain our existing alliances and will not give into pressure from the PRC to reduce our support of Taiwan or any other ally in the region. We should be proud to support the Hong Kong refugees, there will be no attempts to use them as a diplomatic bargaining chip under my tenure. It is both morally wrong and detrimental to the interestes of atlasia to cast away our credibility by throwing the interest of our allies under the bus to appese a regime incensed at polices that have little real impact on them.

This seems broadly in line with a number of recent congressional bills which some Atlasians have criticized as being too hawkish and inflammatory. What would you do as SoS to assuage the concerns of people like S019 who believe your Asia Pacific philosophy "risks aggravating (an evidently already upset) China"?

I will take a hard stance with the PRC but will explain that we do not wish to cause any civil war and try to defuse their paronia that recognition of Taiwan is an attack on their terrotorial soverignty. I will be open to cooperation on all the matters you listed with the PRC but will not throw our allies under the bus to active them and attempt to ensure that these agreements while fair include guarantees of improved human rights in the PRC itself.

On that note, what are your main priorities in which to pursue further cooperation with the PRC, and how do you believe they can be enforced given its past patterns of not living up to its promises to other nations?

With regards to the ongoing Taiwan blackouts we will provide what technical support we can to ensure their electrical grid will be restored to previous perfomance and secured from similar issues in the future.

Given that these reports have been tied to news of mock bombing runs against the ROC, what is your assessment of the risk to Taiwanese citizens and Atlasian companies and workers if we make such attempts to secure their electrical grid, and how would you manage the PRC's response to such actions?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 12:45:59 AM »

New question.

Should Jakub Schmid win the upcoming Paflagonian presidential election, how will you and the President approach our relations with Paflagonia and ensure that its people can remain in a stable and free democracy?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 11:58:53 PM »

more unanswered questions for the nominee, would greatly appreciate answers to them as well, please and thanks

Anyway, additional question: What is your assessment of the events that have unfolded in Eritrea over the past months, and what steps would you take in response?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 10:56:47 PM »

Look, I'm sorry for the fuss here but I don't want to mince words. The nominee, even taking into account his busy schedule, has roundly ignored over half the questions I’ve asked him. He's been disappointingly vague on an issue that our GM deems one of the most important the SoS will need to face. And his performance during this hearing really does not give me assurance that he will not simply ignore dissenting voices on the job the way he seems to have done here.

Nay.

I would rather wait for IBNU to answer my question first.

As would I, really, but since the rest of the Senate has evidently decided otherwise…
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 12:06:13 AM »

Better late than never – thanks to IBNU for answering.

I also want to apologize to Senator Cao for overlooking his post.

Oh, don't worry, I'm used to it. No problem at all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies