Confirmation Hearing: IBNU for Secretary of State (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:31:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: IBNU for Secretary of State (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: IBNU for Secretary of State (Confirmed)  (Read 3627 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2021, 10:43:23 PM »
« edited: July 19, 2021, 08:41:33 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

Quote from:  Executive Order 53-001
EXECUTIVE ORDER
to make provisions for the diligent conduct of foreign affairs

IBNU, of the state of Connecticut, is hereby nominated to be Secretary of State.

Blair was supposed to have opened this on day one, but as PPT I'll take a liberal interpretation of the rules where necessary.

The hearing shall last for no less than four days barring a UC motion.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 10:46:48 PM »

I am wondering what qualifications the nominee has. Foreign policy is no joke and as we saw in the last administration, it can go quite bad without a SoS who's active and knows what they're doing.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 10:51:23 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2021, 02:17:48 AM by Senator Scott, PPT »

1. Do you support the G20's recently approved plan to impose a global corporation tax? Will you apply international pressure on Ireland and Hungary to join in the agreement?

2. How will you approach Israel and Palestine? Will you support renewed peace efforts after Israel's election this month?

3. Would you support a trade or military pact with our Pacific allies, such as India, Korea, and Japan, to counterbalance Chinese influence? In what other ways would you address rising PROC influence and human rights violations?
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 10:58:35 PM »

With all due respect, how can we be confident that you are up to the task given the number of votes you missed in the Lincoln Council?

Also, what is your foreign policy regarding Iran? What steps will you take to prevent them from obtaining nuclear weapons?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 11:57:57 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2021, 01:59:08 AM by Liberal Hack »

I would like to thank the president for my nomination. I will endeavour to work hard and diligently,bringing my more than 20 years of experience working in foregin policy related fields to ensure that the nation remains an active international player in global affairs promoting human rights and balanced free trade whole also avoid excessive foregin entanglements.

1. Do you support the G20's recently approved plan to impose a global corporation tax? Will you apply international pressure on Ireland and Hungary to join in the agreement?

2. How will you approach Israel and Palestine? Will you support renewed peace efforts after Israel's election this month?

3. Would you support a trade or military pact with our Pacific allies, such as India, South Korea, and Japan, to counterbalance Chinese influence? In what other ways would you address rising PROC influence and human rights violations?
1. The nation will be a key player in pushing for this iniative.In our Mordern economy taxation of multi national corporations required international cooperation. It's unacceptable for any country to base its economy in helping these companies to avoid paying their fair share. The State department under me will exert every effort to convince these countries to cooperate through our long links and historic relationship.

2. The nation will continue to be an honest broker in the peace process and we hope that the new Israeli adminstration will be willing to remain at the negostion table. We will continue to urge a settlement freeze as well support any existing peace effort.the

The nation will support any treaty or framework required to protect the free nations of the region from ongoing Chinese influence. We will take a leading role in setting up such organisations and will attempt to re-enter the Trans Pacific Trade Deal if certain benchmarks can be reached.

With all due respect, how can we be confident that you are up to the task given the number of votes you missed in the Lincoln Council?

Also, what is your foreign policy regarding Iran? What steps will you take to prevent them from obtaining nuclear weapons?
I apologize for tardiness during my time in the Lincon Council but I have extensive experience in International relations. With regards to Iran, the only solution to prevent them from getting nuclear weapons is diplomatic. We must come to an agreement combining sanction relief with strong checks to ensure that they remain unable to acquire nuclear weapons. I will work with global partners to apply diplomatic pressure until we can reach an agreement.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 12:10:33 AM »

There is no "United States" in the game and there was never, to my knowledge, a TPP or anything similar to it in the game.

I have to say that the nominee's answers so far give me great pause as to whether he is qualified, and this alleged record of inactivity certainly doesn't boost his credentials.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 01:15:57 AM »

Could the nominee please elaborate on what areas of international relations their expertise lies in, and to what degree?

As a follow-up to Scott's question, what are your stances on the recent Taiwan rolling electrical blackout, the various actions Atlasia has taken to support Hong Kong refugees, and the PRC's threats of retaliation against Atlasia if we continue to show support for our allies in the region – all covered in recent updates from the Citizen's Dispatch if you need a reference – and what steps would you take in response to these ongoing situations?

On the flip side, do you agree or disagree with the stance that Atlasia needs to wind down its perceived confrontations with China (with the associated risks to our allies) in favor of pursuing cooperation on trade deals, environmental cooperation and the like, and why?

I want to reiterate too that these are all fairly important and ongoing questions that Devout Centrist regrettably did not publicly address all that consistently, and I would prefer that the next SoS is prepared to both tackle them with the President in private and justify their decisions to Congress and the citizens in public.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 02:25:20 AM »

I'm also confused as to your "20 years of experience". Considering the average age of an active Atlasian citizen that would mean that you have had foreign policy experience since you were a child.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 10:19:22 AM »

Will you engage with the National Security Council and the Senate as Secretary of State?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 10:20:44 AM »

I'm also confused as to your "20 years of experience". Considering the average age of an active Atlasian citizen that would mean that you have had foreign policy experience since you were a child.

It also means having experience since before the republic was even founded.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 10:49:43 AM »

Did President Sev discuss the requirements and expectations for Secretary of State before making the decision to appoint you?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 11:24:33 AM »

Do you intend to interact consistently with GM stories regarding international relations?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 12:01:24 PM »

Please be respectful of the nominee you guys. Aside from being one of the only people interested in the job, the nominee has strong ideas and goals and will be an active presence. If you think making a big deal out of minor misunderstandings is truly what's best for the game, by all means go right ahead.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 12:20:25 PM »

Could the nominee please elaborate on what areas of international relations their expertise lies in, and to what degree?

As a follow-up to Scott's question, what are your stances on the recent Taiwan rolling electrical blackout, the various actions Atlasia has taken to support Hong Kong refugees, and the PRC's threats of retaliation against Atlasia if we continue to show support for our allies in the region – all covered in recent updates from the Citizen's Dispatch if you need a reference – and what steps would you take in response to these ongoing situations?

On the flip side, do you agree or disagree with the stance that Atlasia needs to wind down its perceived confrontations with China (with the associated risks to our allies) in favor of pursuing cooperation on trade deals, environmental cooperation and the like, and why?

I want to reiterate too that these are all fairly important and ongoing questions that Devout Centrist regrettably did not publicly address all that consistently, and I would prefer that the next SoS is prepared to both tackle them with the President in private and justify their decisions to Congress and the citizens in public.
I have worked in the field extensively prior to being elected to the office.

With regards to your question regarding our policy towards the Asia pacific  region, I will work to maintain our existing alliances and will not give into pressure from the PRC to reduce our support of Taiwan or any other ally in the region. We should be proud to support the Hong Kong refugees, there will be no attempts to use them as a diplomatic bargaining chip under my tenure. It is both morally wrong and detrimental to the interestes of atlasia to cast away our credibility by throwing the interest of our allies under the bus to appese a regime incensed at polices that have little real impact on them.

I will take a hard stance with the PRC but will explain that we do not wish to cause any civil war and try to defuse their paronia that recognition of Taiwan is an attack on their terrotorial soverignty. I will be open to cooperation on all the matters you listed with the PRC but will not throw our allies under the bus to active them and attempt to ensure that these agreements while fair include guarantees of improved human rights in the PRC itself.

With regards to the ongoing Taiwan blackouts we will provide what technical support we can to ensure their electrical grid will be restored to previous perfomance and secured from similar issues in the future

Do you intend to interact consistently with GM stories regarding international relations?
I will proactively respond to events, and will monitor GM stories countionusly.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 12:28:24 PM »

Will you engage with the National Security Council and the Senate as Secretary of State?
...?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 12:41:07 PM »

I will maintain engagement with all relevant parties including the senate and the national security council.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 12:52:58 PM »

What do you say to allegations that you were bribed with this position to change your vote?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 01:33:27 PM »

For the nominee:

1. What is your philosophy surrounding international relations? How can you better foster a peaceful world and advance diplomacy especially between ourselves and our adversaries?

2. What strategic partnerships do you wish to forge during your potential tenure as Secretary of State?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 04:25:55 PM »

What do you say to allegations that you were bribed with this position to change your vote?

Who is alleging this?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 04:30:25 PM »

For the nominee:

1. What is your philosophy surrounding international relations? How can you better foster a peaceful world and advance diplomacy especially between ourselves and our adversaries?

2. What strategic partnerships do you wish to forge during your potential tenure as Secretary of State?
Why are you asking this if you will vote against him?
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 04:37:38 PM »

Who is alleging this?
IBNU himself admitted it.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 04:42:56 PM »

Who is alleging this?
Clarification directly from the nominee would be greatly appreciated by this body.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 04:44:01 PM »

Who is alleging this?
Clarification directly from the nominee would be greatly appreciated by this body.
I agree.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 04:57:34 PM »

Who is alleging this?

My only communications with the nominee regarding a potential appointment (or anything else for that matter) occurred after the election.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2021, 05:20:25 PM »

Who is alleging this?

My only communications with the nominee regarding a potential appointment (or anything else for that matter) occurred after the election.
Though I do not believe I can legally post the screenshots I’ve seen, they do state that it was Blairite, not you, who did it. I don’t believe you’re that type, Mr. President.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies