Who are the favorites to win the 2022 World Cup?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:14:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Who are the favorites to win the 2022 World Cup?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who are the favorites to win the 2022 World Cup?  (Read 523 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2021, 05:26:55 PM »

France suffered loss to Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal at the 2016 Euros, that fueled France to the World Cup championship in 2018, can England do the same in 2022?

Will we have to wait until the African Cup of Nations is finished?

Argentina? Brazil? France repeat? Italy? England? Algeria? Portugal?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 06:29:04 PM »

Brazil, France, the usual suspects. I will go out on a limb and say it probably won't be Algeria.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 06:49:41 PM »

Brazil, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, in that order. Germany's stock will go way up with Hansi Flick in charge.

England unlikely, Argentina and Portugal really unlikely. People are acting as if Belgium is out of chances, but the only players that are too old are their terrible defenders who should've been dropped long ago. Their best players are either in their primes or young.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 07:09:37 PM »

Brazil, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, in that order. Germany's stock will go way up with Hansi Flick in charge.

England unlikely, Argentina and Portugal really unlikely. People are acting as if Belgium is out of chances, but the only players that are too old are their terrible defenders who should've been dropped long ago. Their best players are either in their primes or young.

Can United States make a run?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 07:29:06 PM »

Why won't England win? Won't this loss fuel them?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 09:58:22 AM »

Why won't England win? Won't this loss fuel them?

To both questions: they won't because they're simply not good enough. Especially the US.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 10:18:47 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2021, 10:24:28 AM by sensual politics »

France, Brazil, Spain, Germany, England

England is boom or bust, depends on if its young players pan out over the next year, but I think they’ll be good. Italy isn’t even that great of a team.

As Santander said Belgium is being overlooked, their “golden generation” isn’t really over. Perhaps Argentina can make one last run, they aren’t a lot worse (if at all) than they were in 2014

Obviously not
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 10:21:34 AM »

Brazil or England
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 10:29:33 AM »

A year is an extremely long time in international football; making predictions at this stage is folly. Though as for England, the main issue with projecting forwards this excellent run at the Euros is that they as good as played a home tournament (which is always a major boost) which will not be the case at the World Cup. But I wouldn't laugh them off either: right now (but see above) you would say that they are certainly no less likely to be contenders than the serially over-hyped Belgian side.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 01:44:40 PM »

The United States probably is the best side in CONCACAF at the moment (especially if Mexico doesn't right the ship) but that doesn't mean much, really.

I'd put my money on Brazil, with Argentina (if Messi plays) or Portugal (if Cristiano Ronaldo plays) as the dark horses at this early stage.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 08:25:00 PM »

A year is an extremely long time in international football; making predictions at this stage is folly. Though as for England, the main issue with projecting forwards this excellent run at the Euros is that they as good as played a home tournament (which is always a major boost) which will not be the case at the World Cup. But I wouldn't laugh them off either: right now (but see above) you would say that they are certainly no less likely to be contenders than the serially over-hyped Belgian side.

I'm sorry but I think it's Cup victory or bust for England in 2022----they have too. This loss is too severe. Some fear that this loss could psychologically devastate them for months---they have to win in '22---next year is the Platinum Jubilee----England needs a boost, a shot in the arm to get kicking again. This would be the elixir to England's pains.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jul/13/england-players-may-take-months-to-get-over-euro-2020-final-dismay
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2021, 03:31:30 PM »

The top 2 are Italy and England because they have young good generations. We could see them in the Euro. England never won a World Cup abroad, but there is always the first time.

Brazil has also a good team, not all Brazilians agree, but I think Tite is doing a good job. Brazil lost to Argentina the final of a tournment nobody cares. I consider Brazil one of the favorites. I hope Neymar doesn't play.

Belgium has also a good team, I include in the least. Never won, but there is always the first time.

Argentina is always in the list of favorites.

France still has a good team, since most of the winners in 2018 were young. It is very rare a country win a World Cup in a sequence: only Italy in 1934-38 and Brazil in 1958-62. But rare events sometimes occur.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies