SB 104-02: Senate Terms Amendment (Tabled) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:37:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 104-02: Senate Terms Amendment (Tabled) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 104-02: Senate Terms Amendment (Tabled)  (Read 2170 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« on: July 12, 2021, 12:31:16 AM »

I will say for the record that I'm fine with the existing system. We have equal voting powers but we do not all represent the same constituencies; that is an "inherently different status" in itself. It's not too much of a stretch to say that the at-large senators who represent the entire nation should come before voters more often to keep them in tune with the national mood, or that the regional and subregional senators should tend to the more disparate interests of their regions or subregions.

Bringing all the regional seats to exactly the same cycles and the same patterns as the at-large elections sets people up for what amounts to three concurrent national elections: the at-large, the collective regional, and the collective sub-regional. I think the division between the regional and subregional elections works fine as it is; they provide more room for interesting elections that don't simply reflect a presidential cycle replicated six times a year, and they keep the regions relevant without subsuming them into the broader trends of a national cycle. For that reason I will object to the amendment.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 12:50:32 AM »

Nay.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 11:47:07 PM »

Aye.