SB 104-02: Senate Terms Amendment (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:00:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 104-02: Senate Terms Amendment (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SB 104-02: Senate Terms Amendment (Tabled)  (Read 2145 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2021, 07:25:29 PM »
« edited: July 20, 2021, 03:55:38 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

AN AMENDMENT
To extend term lengths of At-Large Senators and modify the calendar for the elections of Regional Senators.

Be it enacted by two-thirds of the Senate and of the Regions concurrently

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Senate Terms Amendment or the Nebraska Amendment.

Section 2. Amendment to the Fifth Constitution

1. Section 2 of the Constitution is hereby amended:

Section 2. Elections to the Senate.

1. The manner of election for at-large Senators shall be as follows:

i. The nine at-large Senators shall be elected for a term of two four months by the eligible voters of the Republic according to a method of proportional representation prescribed by the Senate. Elections for the seats shall be held in the months of February, April, June, August, and October, and December.
ii. If no other method of proportional representation is prescribed by law, at-large Senate elections shall operate on single transferable vote.
iii. At-large Senate vacancies shall be filled through appointment by the executive of the former Senator’s Party; but should a vacancy occur as the result of the death, expulsion, or resignation of an at-large Senator not being a member of a major Party, then a special election shall be held within twenty days of the vacancy to choose a replacement to serve the remainder of the existing term.

2. The manner of election for Regional Senators shall be as follows:

i. Each region shall elect a Senator for a term of four months by popular election of the region’s residents administered by the regional government in a manner prescribed by the legislature thereof. Regional Senate elections shall be held in the months of February, June, and October April, August, and December.
ii. Regional Senate vacancies occurring more than thirty days prior to the end of the term shall be filled by special election of the region’s residents administered by the regional government within twenty days of the vacancy.
iii. Regional Senate vacancies occurring within thirty days of the end of the term, as well as the interim between a vacancy and a prescribed special election, may be filled in accordance with the laws of the region in question; should no such law exist then the region’s executive shall have the power to make such an appointment.

3. The manner of election for Subregional Senators shall be as follows:
i. Each subregion shall elect a Senator for a term of four months by popular election of the subregion’s residents administered by its constituent regional government in a manner prescribed by the legislature thereof. Subegional Senate elections shall be held in the months of April, August, and December.
ii. Subregional Senate vacancies occurring more than thirty days prior to the end of the term shall be filled by a special election of the subregion’s residents administered by its constituent regional government within twenty days of the vacancy.
iii. Subregional Senate vacancies occurring within thirty days of the end of the term shall be filled by the subregional Senator elected for the following term immediately upon conclusion of their election.

Section 3. Referendum Date

1. Each region shall vote on this change concurrently with the elections of August 2021.
Amendment Explanation: This amendment extends at-large terms by two months and changes the calendar for the election of regional senators to coincide with those of subregional senators.
Sponsor: Scott

The gentleman from Wyoming is recognized.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 07:28:05 PM »

I am not sure about this. While I personally found the two month cycle annoying at points when I was in the House, at the same time, I think more frequent elections for House and now At-Large Senate has been a positive aspect of the same since the reset.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 07:31:05 PM »

As the Amendment Explanation says, this restructures the Senate terms so that half the chamber is up every two months, in a similar manner to the RL Nebraska unicameral legislature, which elects half its members every two years.

Simply put, it makes little sense to give At-Large senators shorter terms than Regional and Subregional ones, given that every senator has equal power. This amendment simplifies the calendar by merging the timing of the Regional elections with the Subregional elections to be held in the middle of the President's term, while At-Large Senators are elected with the President.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 07:37:24 PM »

As the Amendment Explanation says, this restructures the Senate terms so that half the chamber is up every two months, in a similar manner to the RL Nebraska unicameral legislature, which elects half its members every two years.

Simply put, it makes little sense to give At-Large senators shorter terms than Regional and Subregional ones, given that every senator has equal power. This amendment simplifies the calendar by merging the timing of the Regional elections with the Subregional elections to be held in the middle of the President's term, while At-Large Senators are elected with the President.

Originally, I read this amendment as removing midterm elections entirely, but after I realized that this confusion came from a misread, I may be open to voting in favor. (I was originally vehemently opposed to this amendment.) I have more thoughts that I'll edit in later -- a bit busy tonight -- but wanted to put this statement down for posterity.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 07:39:16 PM »

Giving this a second look (I assumed it would get rid of midterms alltogether like transit did), I think that what you've proposed may actually work well without reducing activity. However Yankee makes the good point that activity may still go down. After all, 2 of 3 regional senators were elected without opposition on the ballot.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 08:11:17 PM »

Having the At-large elections in the midterms is actually beneficial on its own merits, even leaving aside the concern about lengthing the terms, cutting the number of elections there by half.

Right now, you have essentially an election every two months that is federal of some note in nature and gets people back focused again. However, with this proposal you would lose that aspect and have to hobble across a four month span with no such election.

Remember even pre-reset, the At-large Elections were always in the midterms going back to their inception, while Regional ones were in the Presidential years.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 08:32:25 PM »

Having the At-large elections in the midterms is actually beneficial on its own merits, even leaving aside the concern about lengthing the terms, cutting the number of elections there by half.

Right now, you have essentially an election every two months that is federal of some note in nature and gets people back focused again. However, with this proposal you would lose that aspect and have to hobble across a four month span with no such election.

Remember even pre-reset, the At-large Elections were always in the midterms going back to their inception, while Regional ones were in the Presidential years.

What if we switched the At-Large elections to the midterms and scheduled the regional/subregional elections to go with the presidential?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 08:19:48 AM »

What if we switched the At-Large elections to the midterms and scheduled the regional/subregional elections to go with the presidential?

I agree with NCY that this amendment would have the effect of decreasing activity, which was not the intended goal of the new Constitution. I would be open to supporting the at-large elections for the midterms.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »

Hot take: Try 2 month terms for all seats.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 09:22:00 AM »

I actually prefer it as you had it. It makes voting easier when you have only a single voting booth to worry about.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 12:16:55 PM »

I actually prefer it as you had it. It makes voting easier when you have only a single voting booth to worry about.

I agree, and I'm also personally not very convinced that we should hold the At-Large elections during the midterms simply for sticking to tradition, but I'm willing to compromise if necessary to get the two-thirds the amendment needs. Tongue

Also, for the record: since this is legislation that directly affects all of us, I would like input from as many senators as possible.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 12:24:41 PM »

Yeah, sorry, I'm not sold on this. I like having at-large seats up for election every two months (besides the GOTV aspect Tongue) and think it's important to maintain this to allow for maximum accountability.

AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 06:09:42 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2021, 07:29:36 PM by AGA »

I find it odd that different members within the same body have different term lengths, so this is an improvement. While frequent elections can make the game more exciting, they would make more sense in a lower legislative chamber and not the Senate. That's another reason why I opposed this constitution, but I digress.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 06:19:30 PM »

I prefer two month election cycles over four month. Keep things exciting and allows people to more easily vote out inactive members
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2021, 06:25:23 PM »

I prefer two month election cycles over four month. Keep things exciting and allows people to more easily vote out inactive members

That is a good point since this is an elections game. I'd prefer either everything being two-months or everything being four-months, not a mix. Four-months isn't necessary anymore since there are only three regional Senators, so we have some flexibility.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 06:31:04 PM »

I would rather have two-month terms for everyone than half with four months and half with two months. That makes no sense in a unicameral body where everyone has equal voting powers, irrespective of past precedent.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »

Proposing the following changes since I agree that 2 month terms for all are better.

AN AMENDMENT
To extend term lengths of At-Large Senators equalize the term lengths of all Senators and modify the calendar for the elections of Regional and Subregional Senators.

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Senate Terms Amendment or the Nebraska Amendment.

i. The nine at-large Senators shall be elected for a term of two months by the eligible voters of the Republic according to a method of proportional representation prescribed by the Senate. Elections for the seats shall be held in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December.
ii. If no other method of proportional representation is prescribed by law, at-large Senate elections shall operate on single transferable vote.
iii. At-large Senate vacancies shall be filled through appointment by the executive of the former Senator’s Party; but should a vacancy occur as the result of the death, expulsion, or resignation of an at-large Senator not being a member of a major Party, then a special election shall be held within twenty days of the vacancy to choose a replacement to serve the remainder of the existing term.

i. Each region shall elect a Senator for a term of four two months by popular election of the region’s residents administered by the regional government in a manner prescribed by the legislature thereof. Regional Senate elections shall be held in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December.
ii. Regional Senate vacancies occurring more than thirty days prior to the end of the term shall be filled by special election of the region’s residents administered by the regional government within twenty days of the vacancy.
iii. Regional Senate vacancies occurring within thirty days of the end of the term, as well as the interim between a vacancy and a prescribed special election, may be filled in accordance with the laws of the region in question; should no such law exist then the region’s executive shall have the power to make such an appointment.

i. Each subregion shall elect a Senator for a term of four two months by popular election of the subregion’s residents administered by its constituent regional government in a manner prescribed by the legislature thereof. Subegional Senate elections shall be held in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December.
ii. Subregional Senate vacancies occurring more than thirty days prior to the end of the term shall be filled by a special election of the subregion’s residents administered by its constituent regional government within twenty days of the vacancy.
iii. Subregional Senate vacancies occurring within thirty days of the end of the term shall be filled by the subregional Senator elected for the following term immediately upon conclusion of their election.

1. Each region shall vote on this change concurrently with the elections of August 2021.
Amendment Explanation: This amendment extends at-large terms by two months and changes the calendar for the election of regional senators to coincide with those of subregional senators. changes the terms of regional and subregional Senators to two months and changes the calendar for the election of regional and subregional Senators to coincide with those of at-large senators.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 07:28:45 PM »

I prefer having the term lengths different.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 08:00:16 PM »

Given there's been a good bit of debate since my last comments, I thought it would be best to post my full feelings in a new post -- though some of them have been addressed already.

I agree with Scott and others that the term lengths for Senators should be the same. All of us Senators hold equal status in this body -- except for our term lengths. Having one class with a two month term and one with a four month term essentially relegates one class to an inherently different status than the other, which I do not support.

I also agree that midterm national elections are necessary. Without a national element to our midterms, interest will certainly decline and will relegate midterms to a significantly lower status than the general elections that occur every four months. In the interest of maintaining activity throughout the presidential term, I believe it is necessary that we hold At-large Senate elections during the midterm cycle.

Given these two positions that I hold, I see two potential options. First, the At-large Senate term could be extended to four months with At-large elections held only during the midterms. Like OBD, I'm not sold on this option either -- this game is all about elections and removing one from our current cycle feels like an inherently bad idea. The second option -- one I am currently in support of -- is presented in WB's amendment. Giving the people more chances to vote, I believe, presents this nation a great benefit. Not only do we increase accountability for our elected officials, but we also stimulate greater activity in a game that is all about elections.   
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 08:04:27 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2021, 11:32:05 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

The amendment is friendly. Senators have 24 hours to object.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 12:31:16 AM »

I will say for the record that I'm fine with the existing system. We have equal voting powers but we do not all represent the same constituencies; that is an "inherently different status" in itself. It's not too much of a stretch to say that the at-large senators who represent the entire nation should come before voters more often to keep them in tune with the national mood, or that the regional and subregional senators should tend to the more disparate interests of their regions or subregions.

Bringing all the regional seats to exactly the same cycles and the same patterns as the at-large elections sets people up for what amounts to three concurrent national elections: the at-large, the collective regional, and the collective sub-regional. I think the division between the regional and subregional elections works fine as it is; they provide more room for interesting elections that don't simply reflect a presidential cycle replicated six times a year, and they keep the regions relevant without subsuming them into the broader trends of a national cycle. For that reason I will object to the amendment.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 12:35:30 AM »

Hearing an objection, a vote is now open on WB's amendment. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Quote from: WB Amendment
AN AMENDMENT
To extend term lengths of At-Large Senators equalize the term lengths of all Senators and modify the calendar for the elections of Regional and Subregional Senators.

Section 1. Title

i. The nine at-large Senators shall be elected for a term of two months by the eligible voters of the Republic according to a method of proportional representation prescribed by the Senate. Elections for the seats shall be held in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December.

i. Each region shall elect a Senator for a term of four two months by popular election of the region’s residents administered by the regional government in a manner prescribed by the legislature thereof. Regional Senate elections shall be held in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December.

i. Each subregion shall elect a Senator for a term of four two months by popular election of the subregion’s residents administered by its constituent regional government in a manner prescribed by the legislature thereof. Subegional Senate elections shall be held in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December.

Amendment Explanation: This amendment extends at-large terms by two months and changes the calendar for the election of regional senators to coincide with those of subregional senators. changes the terms of regional and subregional Senators to two months and changes the calendar for the election of regional and subregional Senators to coincide with those of at-large senators.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 12:37:27 AM »

Aye
Just Passion Through