Is there a reason why Republicans never actually do anything to help poor people?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:09:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is there a reason why Republicans never actually do anything to help poor people?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Is there a reason why Republicans never actually do anything to help poor people?  (Read 1194 times)
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2021, 05:53:36 PM »

Poor white people (i.e. appalachians) are leaving the Democratic Party in droves and joining the Republicans. The reason why is a mystery—the Republicans that these people elect don’t actually help their conditions.

Doesn’t this bother Republicans?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 06:09:23 PM »

Someone’s mad their political party got called out.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 06:11:56 PM »

Yes. They use them as a distraction to concentrate middle and working class anger on them instead of on the corporations and wealthy that they truly serve. You have the rhetorical device of "job creators" and "welfare queens" as clear evidence.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 06:14:42 PM »

Have you heard of the phrase: A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 06:16:17 PM »

You mean the phrase that Republicans use to lie to poor people that cutting taxes for the rich will somehow help them?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 06:24:26 PM »

You mean the phrase that Republicans use to lie to poor people that cutting taxes for the rich will somehow help them?

My favorite is "teach a man to fish and he eats forever!" The problem though is, unlike the man in that analogy, many poor people in reality don't have a fishing rod...or even a boat!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 06:52:38 PM »

Firstly, that isn't even true, the gains from trickle-down economics have been hugely disproportionate to the very rich. Secondly, the best way to lift the tide is to focus stimulus on lower-income people that are more likely to actually spend in the economy rather than save it. The Biden stimulus is therefore much more effective than the Trump tax cuts, and this is part of why there isn't a noticeable economic boost from the Republican tax cuts.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 07:17:57 PM »

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 07:33:25 PM »

If only we elected them in 2012: The oligarchy would be complete!

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 07:38:43 PM »

My favorite is "teach a man to fish and he eats forever!" The problem though is, unlike the man in that analogy, many poor people in reality don't have a fishing rod...or even a boat!

Wrong.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 07:39:42 PM »

And even if given access to those means, the rent-seekers will do anything to carve off any possibility of thriving ---

12 hours of blood and sweat to take home the bare minimum required not to die of hunger. And yet, their nets were full when they pulled them up.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 07:40:27 PM »

Wrong.

No, you're wrong.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 07:50:06 PM »

Because they genuinely believe that being poor is weak.  Rich people are the alphas in Conservative Bro Logic.  Social Darwinism runs through the entire conservative ideology.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 07:51:42 PM »

Wrong.

No, you're wrong.

Wrong.

You are an embarrassment to any attempts at quality right wing discourse from this site and only push people nominally on the right in the US (in some ways like myself) further away from posting here when they have allies like this. Grow up before you continue to confidently assert your ignorance, get owned and can only resort to the argument of a toddler
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 07:54:03 PM »

I love how TheReckoning doesn't even bother defending himself, just says "wrong" over and over.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2021, 07:55:00 PM »

Republicans tend to believe that people with low incomes are just lazy liberals who would rather mooch off the government than get "real jobs"...unless they're Republicans, in which case they're not lazy, but rather victims of illegal immigration, high taxes, Affirmative Action, etc.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2021, 07:58:38 PM »

I love how TheReckoning doesn't even bother defending himself, just says "wrong" over and over.

It makes no difference what I say. I could write a peer-reviewed thesis on the causes of poverty in the United States, and perhaps half this forum would wholeheartedly reject it. So why bother?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 08:05:06 PM »

It's more, you taught the man to fish, but when he goes out in his little dinghy to catch some, he finds himself surrounded by massive trawlers owned by people who got them from their parents or who happened to be in the right place at the right time during a big boat boom decades ago.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 08:05:22 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2021, 08:22:58 PM by wants to resurrect the bull moose party »

I don't know bro, you tell me...

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2021, 08:36:55 PM »

It makes no difference what I say. I could write a peer-reviewed thesis on the causes of poverty in the United States, and perhaps half this forum would wholeheartedly reject it. So why bother?

That is a weak cop out for not even attempting to defend your arguments. If you truly feel that way why did you even post the thread in the first place? Or why do you even bother just to croak the word wrong over and over? Or why post at all for that matter?

Don't Blame A persecution complex for your intellectual laziness. There are a number of conservatives on this forum who are well-respected for their articulation even if most posters here disagree with their politics. You are currently not one of them. Change, or g t f o.
Asta

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2021, 09:04:58 PM »

The tenet of their beliefs revolves around Just World fallacy, in which you deserve the things that happen in your life.

You're poor? You are lazy.
You got raped? You wore a skirt.
You are sick? You had poor lifestyle choices.

This caricatures the symbol of their principle, but even if one necessarily doesn't accept such fallacy, one finds solace in accepting injustice more easily.

Religion tends to facilitate in accepting such premises because 1) God will give greater rewards in heaven 2) God is a perfect being and wouldn't make mistakes 3) God always serves justice

This is probably why Republicans tend to gravitate toward not having sympathy for the poor and less fortunate. They rely on the premise that things are perfect the way it is. Why would they implement any change?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2021, 09:06:31 PM »

Yeah, it's ring wing propaganda that literally never comes true.   Giving the rich more money just makes rich people richer and less available for the poor and middle class, the end.

We've been living in the "lifts all boats" lie for the past 30 years and look at how bad income inequality has gotten and how unaffordable things like healthcare, housing, and education have gotten.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2021, 09:08:32 PM »

Republicans try to cut taxes and regulations all the time. How else do you propose to sustainably help poor people?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2021, 09:23:13 PM »

Republicans try to cut taxes and regulations all the time. How else do you propose to sustainably help poor people?

"cut taxes" uhh...yeah, that extra $36 a year will really bring them out of poverty huh?  I believe that was the average saving for middle class people from the 2017 cuts (and conveniently those are temporary).

I don't see how cutting regulations is supposed to help poor people, the only regulations they cut help big business.    If the regulation helps keep poor people down like regs limiting unionization or marijuana prohibition the Republicans always seem happy to keep the system in place.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2021, 09:30:14 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2021, 09:33:42 PM by Teflon Joe. »

Building from the bottom up is what rises all tides. Democratic Presidents have had more job growth, higher GDP growth and lower deficits on average then Republican Presidents. The growth also occurs more fairly under Democratic Presidents.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies