How did Georgia trend leftward while Florida is rightward?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:34:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How did Georgia trend leftward while Florida is rightward?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did Georgia trend leftward while Florida is rightward?  (Read 382 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2021, 01:01:08 PM »

Florida is now a Republican haven of rich people, Boomers, cops, etc.

Why is this not happening in Georgia?

What's the difference?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 01:23:51 PM »

Georgia barely has a coastline, and most of what it has is undesirable swampland.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 01:26:42 PM »

- Florida has a large Latino population who trended rightwards (especially those from the Carribean and south America) this election.
-Georgia and Florida have different different migration patterns. Younger professionals move to Atlanta metro area while retirees and conservative immigrants to Florida
- the democratic party in Florida is extremely incompetent and are a joke, while the Republican state party is one of the best of the country
-The democratic party in Georgia is more competent(lead by Stacey Abrams sure) while the Republicans are playing politics of the Georgia of the 90s and 00s when things have changed dramatically since then.
- Type of industry in Georgia, I know that the entertainment industry is big there and there's alot of finance and tech moving there as well. I'm sot sure what's Florida main industry besides tourism(maybe you know better)
-I have a feeling that republicans are basically maxed out demographically in Georgia and did so earlier than usual but wait and see if republicans make gains in the metro area. Florida on the other hand tend to have the fastest growing areas in the conservative parts of the state.
-Georgia overall is still more conservative(socially and culturally) than Florida and will probably be so for a while as it more religious, and is the heart of the south while Florida State identity is still in the air. Wait a couple of elections to see how things goes, as Florida could swing leftward after being rightward in the Trump era

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »

The divergence has to do with the urban character of Metro Atlanta vs that of Florida's big cities.  Atlanta hosts a knowledge economy that draws in a lot of college-educated graduates from other parts of the country, while FL's in-migration is still dominated by White retirees and Latino immigrants (two groups that trended toward the GOP under Trump.)  Of course, Georgia also has one of the largest, most organized Black electorates of any state too.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 08:57:03 PM »

Atlanta is the capitol of Black America.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 09:15:16 PM »

Florida in one of the oldest states while Georgia in one of the youngest.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 03:23:02 PM »

Atlanta is the capitol of Black America.
I thought Detroit would be.

Florida in one of the oldest states while Georgia in one of the youngest.
I thought for a moment by 'oldest' and 'youngest' you meant when the state entered the Union, and hoped you were joking - GA became a state 50 years before FL. But then I realised that you probably meant demographically, since Florida is home to swaths of retirees (who lean Republican, generally).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies