In surprise veto, DeSantis rejects bipartisan push to expunge minors’ criminal records
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 05:18:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  In surprise veto, DeSantis rejects bipartisan push to expunge minors’ criminal records
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In surprise veto, DeSantis rejects bipartisan push to expunge minors’ criminal records  (Read 478 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2021, 10:26:25 AM »

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article252467883.html

In a rebuke to 157 voting members of the Florida Legislature, Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday night vetoed a measure that would have paved the way for tens of thousands of juveniles to get their criminal records erased after completing a behavioral program.

The veto came as a shock to many lawmakers, who supported the measure. The proposal, they said, moved through the legislative process with little to no opposition and it was an approach that would have allowed minors with past run-ins with the law to face fewer barriers to employment, housing and education.

“I am, frankly, dumbfounded. ... I don’t understand why you wouldn’t give an opportunity to a kid to remake their life,” said Sen. Annette Taddeo, a Miami Democrat who co-sponsored Senate Bill 274.

The bill would have allowed about 27,000 minors to request that their arrest records be expunged following the successful completion of a diversion program for any offense, including felonies. Discretion would have still been given to either the law enforcement officer that confronted the minor at the time of the offense or the state attorney that is handling the case.

State law currently allows only juveniles with misdemeanor offenses to get that opportunity.

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 10:53:04 AM »

Can they override it? And will they if they can?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 11:45:22 AM »

He’s running.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 11:47:00 AM »

Can they override it? And will they if they can?

The legislative session ended on April 30th.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 12:14:11 PM »

What was his reason to veto it?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 12:16:10 PM »

Guess he wants to appear tough on crime, but this just makes him look like a total dckhead to 60-70% of voters.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 12:18:40 PM »

You know why.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 01:12:27 PM »

black
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 01:42:58 PM »

Tell me again why DeSantis being utter scum is surprising?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 01:48:39 PM »

Ah, the "law and order" guy strikes again, who at the same time tries to be exactly like his great idol, a tax, charity and insurance defrauder, who's corrupted the presidency and accused of sexual harassment.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 02:59:46 PM »

Stuff like this is why I don't expect Republicans to make lasting gains among black voters, men or women. If Democrats get their act together and champion serious issues rather than sappy "soul of America" stuff, then they shouldn't have a problem in 2024 assuming that the country is in okay shape.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 03:10:28 PM »

The cruelty is the point.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 06:55:10 PM »

Stuff like this is why I don't expect Republicans to make lasting gains among black voters, men or women. If Democrats get their act together and champion serious issues rather than sappy "soul of America" stuff, then they shouldn't have a problem in 2024 assuming that the country is in okay shape.

I continue to struggle with understanding why Trump improved among minority voters, particularly blacks, last year. Republican policies are no different now from the ones that they pursued a decade or two ago, and they are no less unpopular in the black community.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 07:29:22 PM »

I continue to struggle with understanding why Trump improved among minority voters, particularly blacks, last year. Republican policies are no different now from the ones that they pursued a decade or two ago, and they are no less unpopular in the black community.

I'm still thinking it may have been rioting related more than anything. I'm not convinced, but it seems like the best answer available for his improvement. I can't imagine it's because a sizable portion of minorities loved Amy Coney Barrett or Trump religious revival stuff.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies