Democrats & Republicans agree: Free Britney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:33:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats & Republicans agree: Free Britney
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Democrats & Republicans agree: Free Britney  (Read 2114 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2021, 05:17:55 PM »

A two-party system may be at the core of United States politics, but one issue has managed to bring both sides of the spectrum together: The movement to free Britney Spears.

A recent poll from YouGov asked Americans if they supported or opposed Britney Spears’ conservatorship being terminated as she requested, and a colossal 65 percent of all respondents opted to support the pop star’s plea. Just ten percent opposed (give us their names, we just want to talk).

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/h9vjw7u633/tabs_Britney_Spears_20210625.pdf
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 05:20:48 PM »

What they're doing to her seems barbaric. But I also wonder what they've done to equip her with the ability to manage a vast fortune and not get victimized by leeches, since that's one of the problems she had in the past. It seems they have not only controlled her life in insane ways but left her ill-equipped to fend for herself against people who will certainly target her.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 05:27:00 PM »

I still have no idea who Britney Spears is or why she is famous, and at this point I don't care to ask.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 05:27:27 PM »

An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 05:36:53 PM »

I still have no idea who Britney Spears is or why she is famous, and at this point I don't care to ask.

Are you Kuwaiti? Because it sounds like you’ve been living under Iraq.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »

I guess she's a """musician""" but I've never heard any of her songs. I get her confused with Paris Hilton for some reason.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 05:44:07 PM »

I guess she's a """musician""" but I've never heard any of her songs. I get her confused with Paris Hilton for some reason.

Britney Spears is one of the biggest pop stars from the early 2000s. Paris Hilton was a famous heiress in the same era.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 05:45:37 PM »

I guess she's a """musician""" but I've never heard any of her songs.

I'm a determinist, because I believe the laws of causality are absolute. Unlike some libertarians, I believe that the state is absolutely necessary to guarantee property and human rights. I support a hierarchical meritocratic system, which means I want to abolish current injustices such as racial discrimination in policing, nepotism, corruption, corporate kickbacks, and fraud. There is no such thing as the immaterial, and spirituality is a lie.

Democracy is immoral. Resist the mob.

I enjoy reading political philosophy (my favorite thinkers include Hobbes, de Tocqueville, Socrates, Freud, Adam Smith, Nietzsche, Ayn Rand, and John Stuart Mill; my least favorites include Rousseau, Hegel, Marx, Malthus, Plato, and Bentham).

I'm a pianist and aspiring guitar player. I enjoy classical music and classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, The Who, CCR, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, etc).

Some of my other areas of interest/study include geography, economics, vexillology, law, and rhetoric. In my spare time I write, draw, and hike in the backwoods of the Bay Area.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 05:47:58 PM »

I'm a determinist, because I believe the laws of causality are absolute. Unlike some libertarians, I believe that the state is absolutely necessary to guarantee property and human rights. I support a hierarchical meritocratic system, which means I want to abolish current injustices such as racial discrimination in policing, nepotism, corruption, corporate kickbacks, and fraud. There is no such thing as the immaterial, and spirituality is a lie.

I enjoy reading political philosophy (my favorite thinkers include Hobbes, de Tocqueville, Socrates, Freud, Adam Smith, Nietzsche, Ayn Rand, and John Stuart Mill; my least favorites include Rousseau, Hegel, Marx, Malthus, Plato, and Bentham).

I'm a pianist and aspiring guitar player. I enjoy classical music and classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, The Who, CCR, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, etc).

Some of my other areas of interest/study include geography, economics, vexillology, law, and rhetoric. In my spare time I write, draw, and hike in the backwoods of the Bay Area.

Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 05:48:50 PM »

How old are you?

Because I think it is pretty much impossible to have consciously lived through ca. 1998-2002 and not know who Britney Spears is. I was 16-20 back then.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 05:50:15 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2021, 05:54:01 PM by sensual politics »

Britney Spears’ cultural impact c. 2000 was unimaginable, from what I’ve heard, and I don’t for a second believe anyone who says they’ve never heard one of her songs.

Anyway, it’s crazy to me that this hasn’t been resolved since it’s been in the news for years and everyone is against it. It’s making me feel like there’s nothing that can really be done
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 05:53:05 PM »

No joke, I had forgotten my own personal text and I got about halfway through reading this thinking "This is pretty spot-on."
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 05:54:11 PM »

Whoops. She did it again. She played with their hearts.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 06:00:27 PM »

You absolutely have heard of her songs.

Oops I Did It Again

Baby One More Time

If you’re under 60 and an American you’ve heard these songs multiple times in your life.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 08:12:16 AM »

What they're doing to her seems barbaric. But I also wonder what they've done to equip her with the ability to manage a vast fortune and not get victimized by leeches, since that's one of the problems she had in the past. It seems they have not only controlled her life in insane ways but left her ill-equipped to fend for herself against people who will certainly target her.
The only leech is her abusive father who keeps her in a state of perpetual seclusion and slavery. He is the reason for all of her meltdowns.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 01:26:10 PM »

This is her debut single and also her most famous song. It is from 1998. There's absolutely no way that you could have possibly escaped this song.

QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 01:37:33 PM »

LMAO I guess JD didn’t have a hit clips that played thirty seconds of “Baby One More Time” as a child.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 01:48:39 PM »

Even if you never listen to music you'd have to be in complete isolation to not know who Brittany Spears is with all the non-music media coverage she's gotten from the 90's and early 2000's,  she's been covered by literally every single major news channel multiple times. 
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 02:43:12 PM »

Anyway, it’s crazy to me that this hasn’t been resolved since it’s been in the news for years and everyone is against it. It’s making me feel like there’s nothing that can really be done
Nobody was speaking out against the conservatorship until recently.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 04:10:08 PM »

Nobody was speaking out against the conservatorship until recently.

Maybe it’s cause I follow pop music but I’ve seen news about this for a long time
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 04:15:52 PM »

You'd have to be quite dense not to agree.

Anyway, her music was always crap for me. Her music videos was just your average display of degeneracy that time.

If you want something real just listen to country.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »

Anyway, her music was always crap for me. Her music videos was just your average display of degeneracy that time.

ah yes, songs about girls, beers, and tractors are more "real"
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 06:21:40 PM »

ah yes, songs about girls, beers, and tractors are more "real"

Hang on now, real country is badass:

Of course, I highly doubt that's what Woodbury was referring to.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 08:48:26 PM »

This is the big issue for me. Has she shown the ability to manage herself and her affairs? I mean, is she really capable of it? Why not put the bulk of her money in a safe place and give her free reign with a big chunk of it to do as she pleases? Until she has proven she is capable of managing her money on her own.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 08:49:33 PM »

This is the big issue for me. Has she shown the ability to manage herself and her affairs? I mean, is she really capable of it? Why not put the bulk of her money in a safe place and give her free reign with a big chunk of it to do as she pleases? Until she has proven she is capable of managing her money on her own.

Why does she need to prove she can manage money on her own lol. It’s her money and she should be able to do what she wants with it
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies