Biden orders air strikes against Iran-backed militas near Iraq-Syria border
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:02:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden orders air strikes against Iran-backed militas near Iraq-Syria border
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden orders air strikes against Iran-backed militas near Iraq-Syria border  (Read 712 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2021, 08:53:42 AM »

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »

The Iranian regime is bad, but I hope he's not trying to provoke a war.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »

No more than what Trump did.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 02:46:20 PM »

Or than what Israel does every other week. And I don't say that as a "whattaboutist" line, just that, if you're an Iranian proxy in eastern Syria and the bombs are a-bursting, you probably don't care much what flag was on the tail of the aircraft that launched them more than "oh, I guess it's the Americans this time."
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 02:52:29 PM »

Without Congressional approval and lacking proof of an imminent threat to the United States, the air strikes were illegally conducted and will only serve to enflame tension in the region. The U.S. military needs to exit Iraq and Syria, and the Biden Admin needs to be true to their DNC pledge to de-escalate relations with Iran.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 03:15:41 PM »

Even if bilateral relations would be established, I expect both sides to strike each other’s proxies. This isn’t the warmongering act people think this is. Even though I don’t like Biden doing this, it isn’t comparable to what Trump did in killing Sepah general Qassem Soleimani
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 03:18:41 PM »

I'm actually supportive of limited airstrikes against Iranian-backed forced that pose a direct threat to US and allied service personell or are a severe security risk.

Reengaging in talks with Iran is certainly the right way to go here, though I've become less optimistic with this newly elected "president" who's a hardliner. Unfortunately, the damage Trump has done by pulling off an imperfect but overall working agreement can hardly be made undone.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 03:33:54 PM »

Without Congressional approval and lacking proof of an imminent threat to the United States, the air strikes were illegally conducted and will only serve to enflame tension in the region. The U.S. military needs to exit Iraq and Syria, and the Biden Admin needs to be true to their DNC pledge to de-escalate relations with Iran.

Here's the official legal justification. Take of it what you will. For what it's worth, as someone who watched this area closely for several years, Iranian-backed groups along the Euphrates have been known to fire across the river towards the Kurdish-controlled areas with a US presence.

omar04

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 04:26:47 PM »

Iraqi MOD condemns the US strike as a violation of Iraqi sovereignty. https://twitter.com/IraqiSpoxMOD/status/1409440297390686210?s=19
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 04:32:55 PM »

Those "Iran backed militas" are who defeated ISIS.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 06:59:09 PM »

And now they've engaged in attacks against U.S. personnel, so your "point" - such as it even is one - is wholly worthless.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 08:26:30 PM »

They played a role but it was the Iraqi military who who did most of the fighting, including the hard urban fighting in Mosul and Fallujah. The Iraqi Special Forces being the spearpoint.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 08:52:58 PM »

I wish people would stop lionizing any actor for whom ISIS is a bridge too far. That is an enormous club, including several other flavors of despicable jihadists who we should be very hesitant to endorse.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 08:54:15 PM »

I wish people would stop lionizing any actor for whom ISIS is a bridge too far. That is an enormous club, including several other flavors of despicable jihadists who we should be very hesitant to endorse.

We've endorsed plenty of "moderate" jihadists in Syria.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 08:55:35 PM »

"our warmonger is better than your warmonger!"
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 08:57:08 PM »

If fighting ISIS makes you a good actor, that makes basically every militia in the Middle East good. Which is of course, nonsense.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 08:57:14 PM »

Thank you Mr. President! I think we can all celebrate a couple of real sick sons of bitches sent to straight to Hell!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 08:58:37 PM »

If fighting ISIS makes you a good actor, that makes basically every militia in the Middle East good. Which is of course, nonsense.

Did I claim anyone was good in the entire region?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 09:31:54 PM »

hell yeah!!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 09:33:23 PM »

No, but you did just completely misunderstand my point. There's 0 point in trying to engage with you, but I'll try. Fighting ISIS is not make one a good actor. Your pithy comment really doesn't say anything good about these militias. Just fighting ISIS doesn't make one a good actor, and if you applied that standard consistently, you'd have to say a wide array of groups including the Taliban and Al-Qaeda were good actors. Hence my point, fighting ISIS doesn't make one good, or disqualifies one of criticism.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2021, 09:34:41 PM »

No, but you did just completely misunderstand my point. There's 0 point in trying to engage with you, but I'll try. Fighting ISIS is not make one a good actor. Your pithy comment really doesn't say anything good about these militias. Just fighting ISIS doesn't make one a good actor, and if you applied that standard consistently, you'd have to say a wide array of groups including the Taliban and Al-Qaeda were good actors. Hence my point, fighting ISIS doesn't make one good, or disqualifies one of criticism.

Of course no one is a good actor, including the US. It would be much better if we just ignored that area of the world.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2021, 10:32:09 PM »

fighting ISIS doesn't give you a "get out of jail free" card to attack American soldiers lol
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2021, 10:36:16 PM »

We need to leave the area completely and forever. Tired of our soldiers getting hurt and killed in unwinnable, unnecessary conflicts.
omar04

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2021, 10:42:09 PM »

No one in the popular crowd is remotely near ISIS' brutality or ideology. Kata'ib Sayyid al-Shuhada (the brigade the fighters killed belonged to) count Shabaks and a small group of Christians in their ranks.

https://twitter.com/TomtheBasedCat/status/1409434745327472640
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2021, 10:50:29 PM »

Here's the official legal justification. Take of it what you will. For what it's worth, as someone who watched this area closely for several years, Iranian-backed groups along the Euphrates have been known to fire across the river towards the Kurdish-controlled areas with a US presence.

The official justification is a farce. The U.S. occupation of Syria is in defiance of international law. We have no jurisdiction there, and our continued presence (and bombing campaigns) has only increased anti-American sentiment in the region. If the objective is to keep our soldiers safe, we need to get tf out of there and quit the back-and-forth strikes and counterstrikes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies