Opinion of Phil Collins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:44:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Phil Collins
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of Phil Collins?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Opinion of Phil Collins  (Read 1168 times)
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2021, 11:17:59 AM »

Multitalented and brilliant musician who was unfairly maligned for decades, or the man responsible for the cheesiest and most soulless corporate pop of the 1980s? You decide!
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 11:35:31 AM »

FF
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 11:41:11 AM »

In the mid 2000s, there was a Grand Theft Auto commercial that used Easy Lover in it and I have been something of a fan ever since I saw that.

Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 11:50:42 AM »

His music is very bland and milquetoast, and he is a Tory tax exile. HP.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 12:03:26 PM »

His music is very bland and milquetoast, and he is a Tory tax exile. HP.

Agreed. There is a good way to do 'bland and milquetoast' but he isn't it. He appears on this here list for a reason (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_considered_the_worst)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 12:41:21 PM »

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins, and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you dance a little? Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion." In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight and "Against All Odds." Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio," a great, great song, a personal favorite.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 01:03:35 PM »

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins, and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you dance a little? Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion." In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight and "Against All Odds." Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio," a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Very interesting analysis.

By the way, do you like Huey Lewis and the News?
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 01:56:57 PM »

Big FF musically.

I have half the songs from the Tarzan and Brother Bear soundtracks along with "Don't Lose My Number" on my main Spotify playlist, and "Taking It All Too Hard" and "Throwing It All Away" on my "Bad Songs to Play at Weddings" playlist.

Except, wait, I also have Huey Lewis on that second playlist... does that mean I'm just a counterpart of Patrick Bateman?
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »

His Tarzan tracks are good. Him personally is mixed feelings overall
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 02:46:20 PM »

Very interesting analysis.

By the way, do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released this, Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to Be Square." A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.
LM Brazilian Citizen
100% antiS, 100% Freedom
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 08:44:01 PM »

Massive FF
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 08:54:20 AM »

Trash
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 04:13:36 PM »

Made lots of bad music, his hot daughter is the best thing about him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies