Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:30:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC  (Read 4713 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2021, 12:19:25 AM »

You poor bastards.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2021, 12:24:17 AM »

LPT: The best place to be during times like this is the grocery store. Seriously. Just go there and walk around to cool off. I did that during our brutal (though not on this level) heat wave a couple weeks ago.

Also going to a movie theater is a great way to ensure AC and being cool for about two hours. If it comes down to that. That's the main thing that got me out to see the latest Conjuring movie.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2021, 12:37:32 AM »

Also if you can't get AC get one of these.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2021, 04:29:20 AM »

10pm and 90 degrees. I can not remember this kind of heat in my life.

Dallas, Texas in a typical summer... quite often. I've seen lows in the 80's in Dallas at times. 78 F or so just before dawn is still sweltering because the temperature is close to the dew point.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2021, 04:35:26 AM »

I expect to get one early this week -- maybe today. Maybe one as well for my unemployed brother. Sure, I am in Michigan and a long distance from that heat spell, but those tend to move, and it is more likely to appear here then head west over the giant Pacific Ocean. Once pacific breezes move into the West Coast and turn on the natural air conditioner that blows air that has crossed from Siberia over the chilly Pacific, then misery is over for you. But it will head east. We here are likely about four days away.     
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2021, 04:38:26 AM »

Also going to a movie theater is a great way to ensure AC and being cool for about two hours. If it comes down to that. That's the main thing that got me out to see the latest Conjuring movie.

The Northwest, being the Northwest, most movie theaters are still closed. Or at leas they were when I left a little over a week ago. Not sure if that's a Washington State thing, or just a King County thing, though.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2021, 01:27:27 PM »

The Northwest, being the Northwest, most movie theaters are still closed. Or at leas they were when I left a little over a week ago. Not sure if that's a Washington State thing, or just a King County thing, though.

Oregon opened them up and also ended capacity limits due to the Heat Wave
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2021, 01:45:13 PM »

I have been watching the Olympic track and field trials on TV, that are being held in Eugene.
Through most of the coverage, they continued to discuss how the contenders were having a difficult time due to the heat.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2021, 07:21:27 PM »

Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2021, 07:29:33 PM »

Wild year. Houston freezes and Portland burns.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2021, 07:37:10 PM »

Wild year. Houston freezes and Portland burns.

In a few decades' time this will seem quaint. The natural systems of this planet are thrashing about in bloodthirsty anguish, as is the wont of a rape victim, and who am I to blame them?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2021, 07:40:12 PM »

Both the East and West Coast are increasingly becoming unlivable for most people as the Plain states and the inner south increase in living standards.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2021, 07:43:26 PM »

got damn!
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2021, 08:37:12 PM »

Canada has apparently set an all-time high temperature today in British Columbia.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2021, 08:40:18 PM »

Yikes :

https://www.kgw.com/amp/article/sports/olympics/olympic-track-field-trials-too-hot/507-01b3fdbf-c19e-4e1b-b174-ee670dca466f
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2021, 01:40:52 AM »

The public transportation system(TriMet) here will basically be shutdown till Tuesday as they are afraid what the heat window do to the power grid

https://www.koin.com/news/max-and-portland-streetcar-services-suspended-due-to-heat/amp/

TriMet said the suspension is due to the extreme heat. They said the hot weather is straining the power grid and the overhead wires that power MAX trains.

Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2021, 07:31:25 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2021, 07:58:50 AM by Cassandra »

Stay safe everyone
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2021, 02:23:53 PM »

This heat dome, eventhough we aren't in the 100s, was coming since we didn't get any rain in the Spring and in the Fall it's Fire season and it will continue until the drought ends or when Winter Rain season cines
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2021, 02:26:38 PM »

Its 12:30 and its already between 106-108 around here(depending on which part of Portland you are in)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2021, 03:21:44 PM »

Is the heat expected to be followed by massive thunderstorms as well? Very often that's what comes after.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2021, 03:32:40 PM »

Where are all the red avatars to point-out about how ignorant the local/state leadership must be to leave critical infrastructure "unweatherized" for once-in-a-century events like this one?

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2021, 03:56:53 PM »

Where are all the red avatars to point-out about how ignorant the local/state leadership must be to leave critical infrastructure "unweatherized" for once-in-a-century events like this one?

I mean, contrary to my expectation, the grid has held up extraordinarily well? The various utility companies around the region clearly know what they are doing and it helps that we're part of a large interconnected grid, rather than being isolated like Texas.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2021, 04:16:52 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2021, 04:19:56 PM by Old School Republican »

Is the heat expected to be followed by massive thunderstorms as well? Very often that's what comes after.

Nope , it will be followed by a system that cools temperatures into the 90s(with a couple days of maybe 89) but it will be sunny for at least the rest of this week

Our massive smoke event last year  though was ended by a massive thunderstorm
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2021, 04:17:35 PM »

I mean, contrary to my expectation, the grid has held up extraordinarily well? The various utility companies around the region clearly know what they are doing and it helps that we're part of a large interconnected grid, rather than being isolated like Texas.

Well the reason the grid seems to hold up is the shut  down a large part of TriMet . Now that’s a great thing they did do so but they had to resort to that .

Though our infrastructure has help up much better than it did with the 2017 snow storm for example
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2021, 05:34:41 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2021, 07:05:56 PM by Hammy »

Looks like there could be a reprieve from the heat in a week or so, unfortunately it also looks to be short lived as the models show the 100+ temps returning afterwards.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=T2m&runtime=2021062818

GFS runs for temperatures and anomalies if anybody wants to track the forecasts. There's additional models and regional zooms, as well as mesoscale models that are higher resolution (with the tradeoff of only going out about 60-90 hours)

First point, infrastructure in this instance isn't failing as it did in Texas. Second point, Texas literally refused to participate in the national power grid--not only something only they are doing, but also something that led to the problems there in the first place.  It's almost as if this wasn't mere partisan whining but an actual self-inflicted problem with legitimate criticism.

You're showing your true colors, whining about a non-existent double standard rather than having concern for people going through this just so you can try and score cheap political points.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies