Rank the 20 most powerful countries in the world in 2021? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:15:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Rank the 20 most powerful countries in the world in 2021? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rank the 20 most powerful countries in the world in 2021?  (Read 1540 times)
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« on: June 28, 2021, 06:16:05 PM »
« edited: June 29, 2021, 11:48:39 AM by UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM »

I crafted up a little list:

• United States of America (STABLE)
  • People's Republic of China (QUICKLY RISING)
  • Russian Federation (FALLING)
  • Republic of India (QUICKLY RISING)
  • Republic of Japan (QUICKLY FALLING)
  • Federal Republic of Germany (FALLING)
  • United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (FALLING)
  • French Republic (FALLING)
  • Federative Republic of Brazil (STABLE)
  • Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (STABLE)
  • Republic of Korea (QUICKLY FALLING)
  • Republic of Indonesia (QUICKLY RISING)
  • Republic of Turkey (RISING)
  • Italian Republic (QUICKLY FALLING)
  • United States of Mexico (RISING)
  • State of Israel (RISING)
  • Federal Republic of Nigeria (RISING)
  • Federal Republic of Iran (RISING)
  • Islamic Republic of Pakistan (RISING)
  • Canada (RISING)

Opinions?

Surprised to see countries like Spain and Sweden on some lists.

People are overrating Taiwan and North Korea here.

100%! They are non-factors!

BTW I hope someone bumps this thread in 2030.

The list above has been updated with recommendations by Bismarck and Starwatcher, some of which I agree with and some of which I disagree with.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 08:21:09 PM »

Absolutely shocked people here are not even ranking Egypt.

For what it's worth I had it #21

Just a little too small today.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 09:15:36 PM »

I think it's pretty clear that the Top 5 should be US, China, Russia, Germany, and France/UK. India is not at the same level - and Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Indonesia, and Mexico are ranked too high as well. Just like most other non-European countries.

I tend to disagree with you that it is clear what the top five should be. There is massive disagreement on them as is clearly seen by every post above and all the differing, wildly different lists you find when searching up "Most powerful countries".

Also, I'd argue that India, Brazil, and Saudi Arabia are major powers on the world stage, with strong militaries, massive economies, and entire regions of the world where they take precedence. Arguably Nigeria, Indonesia, and Mexico haven't started throwing their weight around yet but their economies, industrial power, demographic strength, and immense soft power within their regions is something that shall be reckoned with very soon.

What about the Netherlands instead? A country with a GDP (1.01 trillion USD) much larger than Turkey's (794 bn), Iran's (682 bn), Nigeria's (514 bn), South Africa's (329 bn), or Pakistan's (306 bn) that has lots(!) of influence in both the EU and the UN, and is home to major global companies such as Shell and Airbus.

Not to be crass, but in my opinion, the Netherlands is rather puny and insignificant compared to the Nigerias of the world, no matter how much influence it may have in the (generally) paper tiger organization of the UN and the shrinking flailing EU and no matter how many multinational corporations who do most of their work in other countries are based there. To top it off, its military is nonexistent.

By the way, I used PPP GDP while making this list, which narrows the margins quite considerably (Turkey at $2.75 Trillion, Iran at $1.15 Billion, Nigeria at $1.12 Billion, Pakistan at $1.11 Billion, the Netherlands at $1.06 Billion, and South Africa at $753 Million). I believe it more accurately reflects the true economic size and power of nations and when considering the massive undocumented economies in Pakistan, Nigeria etc., these numbers might just be even higher.

The Netherlands is efficient, sure, but after a certain point it cannot hold a candle to 200 Million Brazilians strong who are slowly but surely developing their country, and with their massive industrial power are going to be immensely exporting products, ideas, and culture.

It seems that many countries on this list are just there because of sheer population size or the "emerging power" label. But in reality, their power is extremely limited - bei it diplomatically, economically, financially, or culturally. Being a relatively big fish in a very small pond (i.e., Nigeria) is not tantamount to real power in any meaningful sense.

I argue these countries have massive economic power and massive industry levels, as well as large cultural influence and diplomatic influence, especially in their respective regions. Maybe in the declining, shrinking, militarily and demographically weak Europe they don't have influence, but leave the continent, and you see a much larger world.

Also, Germany is not "falling" and neither is France.

Relative to the world they are. Demographically, economically, militarily, culturally. The United States might be too, it's quite borderline. The global future, though, in my opinion, is more Southern than it is Northern.

But Israel, Brazil, or Saudi Arabia might be.  

Perhaps this is true. Only the future will tell.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies