Expel 1 Senator (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:35:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Expel 1 Senator (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Expel 1 Senator  (Read 1952 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 23, 2021, 02:05:36 PM »

If you got to choose any one Senator to remove from office, who would be your pick?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 02:21:19 PM »

I would probably pick Hawley or Cruz.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 03:08:27 PM »

Ron Johnson or Pat Toomey to maximize chances of a Democrat replacing him.

Good point. But in that case, choose Johnson - WI and PA are both swing states, and while Toomey voted to convict Trump in 2021 for January 6, Johnson supported the Big Lie that led to January 6.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »

In retrospect, Johnson - he also supported the Big Lie and while TX and MO will likely elect GOP replacements for Hawley and Cruz, Johnson's seat could flip blue (especially given that I'm pretty sure a plurality of the voters of Wisconsin, the ones that supported Biden, didn't appreciate being told that the way they voted was fradulent).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 12:22:09 PM »

Susan Collins because her replacement appointed would be a Democrat and also likely to hold the seat unlike a replacement for a Kansas or Louisiana Senator.

In that case choose Johnson - he, too, will be replaced by a Democrat (the Governor is Tony Evers, a Democrat), and while Collins voted to convict Trump, Johnson entertained Trump's Stop the Steal claims.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 12:25:48 PM »

If you're a Democrat, why do you want to remove from the Senate a centre-left Democrat who will be replaced with a Republican when you can remove someone like Johnson (who supported the Big Lie and will be replaced with a Democrat)?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 12:35:05 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2021, 12:38:17 PM by CentristRepublican »

Susan Collins because her replacement appointed would be a Democrat and also likely to hold the seat unlike a replacement for a Kansas or Louisiana Senator.

In that case choose Johnson - he, too, will be replaced by a Democrat (the Governor is Tony Evers, a Democrat), and while Collins voted to convict Trump, Johnson entertained Trump's Stop the Steal claims.
We can get rid of him next year.
Wisconsin is a purple or even tilt R state. If Johnson stays, it's possible he may win reelection in 2022, despite his pretense that ballots in his own state were fradulent, because 2022 may well be a red wave year (as a midterm with a Democratic president). We shouldn't take any chances and we should remove him from office as soon as possible. If he does get expelled (which he won't, unfortunately) Evers can appoint a Democrat and in the 2022 midterms (s)he might just be able to hold on to the seat because of the 'incumbency advantage'. (And if (s)he does loes in 2022, it'll still be good that we removed Johnson, because we got to have a Democrat instead of Johnson for a year, and also, if the Democratic incumbent lost in 2022, it would be evidence that Johnson would almost certainly win reelection - since he would be an incumbent in a red wave year in a swing state where a Democratic incumbent would otherwise lose.)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 12:50:51 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2021, 01:20:33 PM by CentristRepublican »

Other than Johnson a good pick might be MITCH McCONNELL. Yes, he would be replaced with a Republican in the special election that would follow, but there would be two advantages to the McConnell void:

a.) The Governor of Kentucky, Andy Beshear, is a Democrat, and will most likely pick a Democrat to replace McConnell (I say most likely because Beshear has been known to support bipartisanship and might take that as far as to appoint a Republican to the Senate). Replacing a Republican with a Democrat would give the Democrats 51 seats, and they'd no longer require Manchin's approval on issues like the Nuclear Option To End The Filibuster.

b.) Mitch McConnell is basically the head of the snake that is the Senate GOP and he's the one that's led them in obstructing, fillibustering, cancelling votes (refusing to take a vote on Merrick Garland in 2016) and speed-dialing other judicial confirmations (Amy Coney Barrett). Without him, the Senate GOP would become less effective.

(On the other hand, there's a risk that Beshear might even choose a GOP replacement, perhaps hoping this will increase his popularity with GOP voters in Kentucky, or because he genuinely wants to foster bipartisanship and believes McConnell should be replaced with another Republican. Also, a special election will be held soon after, and it will almost certainly be won by the GOP.)

Ultimately, he and Johnson (who supported the Big Lie and would be replaced by a Democrat) are the best picks to remove strategically speaking. Speaking in terms of who is the most incapable to serve, I say Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz, Tommy T. or Roger Marshall (Marshall's would have the bonus benefit of his replacement being chosen by a Democrat, Gov. Laura Kelly).

So, overall, the top picks would be one of the below:
1.) Mitch McConnell (R-KY) - he's the GOP's leader and would temporarily be replaced by a Democrat, giving them control of the Senate even without Manchin.
2.) Ron Johnson (R-WI) - for supporting the Big Lie; he would also be replaced at least temporarily by a Democrat (this could have a bigger effect; if Johnson stays he might just win reelection in 2022, as 2022 might well be a GOP wave year).
3.) Josh Hawley (R-MO) - for supporting the Big Lie.
4.) Ted Cruz (R-TX) - for supporting the Big Lie; he's also highly unpopular in the Senate - he's apparently disliked even by GOP colleagues.
5.) Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) - for sheer cluelessness/incompetance and supporting the Big Lie.
6.) Roger Marshall (R-KS) - for the same reasons as Tuberville, and also because he would be replaced temporarily by a Democrat.
7.) Any other Republican who voted against removing Trump from office.

UPDATE: Ignore what I wrote about McConnell being replaced by a Democrat; there is a law in Kentucky prohibiting the replacement for a senator being from a different party, so McConnell's replacement would be a Democrat.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 12:54:12 PM »

I was gonna say McConnell, but BRTD's reason for Collins is compelling so I'll go with her.

McConnell would also temporarily be replaced by a Democrat (Beshear, a Democrat, is Governor), and he's also the head of the venemous snake that is the Senate GOP. Roger Marshall and Ron Johnson would also be replaced by Democrats. Collins, on the other hand, is one of the few remaining competant Republican senators; replacing her would take a valuable member from the Senate and leave one less decent GOP senator.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 01:18:02 PM »

I was gonna say McConnell, but BRTD's reason for Collins is compelling so I'll go with her.

McConnell would also temporarily be replaced by a Democrat (Beshear, a Democrat, is Governor),

Kentucky law says the replacement must be of the same party

Thanks for letting me know. I knew such a law existed in Wyoming but wasn't sure if there was one in Kentucky. Do Kansas and Wisconsin have a similar law?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 01:26:17 PM »

a.) The Governor of Kentucky, Andy Beshear, is a Democrat, and will most likely pick a Democrat to replace McConnell (I say most likely because Beshear has been known to support bipartisanship and might take that as far as to appoint a Republican to the Senate). Replacing a Republican with a Democrat would give the Democrats 51 seats, and they'd no longer require Manchin's approval on issues like the Nuclear Option To End The Filibuster.

UPDATE: Ignore what I wrote about McConnell being replaced by a Democrat; there is a law in Kentucky prohibiting the replacement for a senator being from a different party, so McConnell's replacement would be a Democrat.

Even ignoring the law there would be an exactly 0% chance of Beshear appointing a Republican. He's not a Manchin or Bel Edwards type. He's a pretty standard liberal Democrat who would never go nearly that far in the name of "bipartisanship."

Fair enough, but we'll never know, since he would have to appoint a Republican to the Senate seat given Kentucky's laws.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 04:52:33 PM »

There's lots of Senators to dislike, and previous posts in this thread have mentioned some good ones who deserve to be expelled. But I am going to mention the one Senator that I dislike the most and whom I most want to expel and that's Chris Murphy of Connecticut.

How come? Why do you dislike Chris Murphy so much?
What about Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz and Ron Johnson - who objected to the results of a democratic election and wanted the result overturned, and who tried to minimise the danger of a deadly pandemic? (Murphy didn't do either of those things, by the way.) And also, who are the other "good ones who deserve to be expelled?"
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 02:06:37 PM »

All fifty Republicans (and then I'd refuse to seat any appointed or elected replacements if they are Republicans). It's time we stopped dealing with them as legitimate political actors and treat them as enemy combatants instead.

I agree; it frutstrates me to an extent that Republicans (a cult who insist a raging pandemic is unreal and that their leader won a democratic election when he lost in a landslide, and who - looking at Gosar, Biggs, Brooks and Hawley here - instigated insurrection on their own captiol from crazed members of their cult) are still taken seriously; I will never be able to look at them as an ideological party anymore, simply an unprincipled cult whose only ideology is slavish devotion to a twice-impeached, disgraced ex-president who ordered insurrection on his captiol from his cult and minions when he lost reelection. (The irony is probably striking, given that my personal photo shows I am a Republican, but in reality the Republicans I support and affiliate with are the likes of Phil Scott of Vermont - moderate, pragmatic, sensible Republicans who support gun control and ending climate change - and to a lesser extent, Adam Kinzinger of Illinois [who voted on principle at the cost of his reelection; I'm guessing he won't be renominated in 2022 now], not traitors like Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, Mo Brooks and Paul Gosar).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »

whiever one has been up there the longest

we need fresh ideas in Washington it's ridiculous how most of the gov ppl are like in their 80s

You support removing Patrick Leahy, a Democrat, from office?? It seems like your avatar should be Liberterian, not Democrat, given that you seem to oppose Democrats and Republicans alike and have a cynical view of government.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 06:48:26 PM »

No one should choose either of the two, Republicans because most Democrats are worse and Democrats because there are far, far worse Republicans (Tuberville, Marshall, Hagerty, Lummis, Johnson, Cruz, Hawley and McConnell immediately come to mind).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies