Expel 1 Senator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:43:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Expel 1 Senator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Expel 1 Senator  (Read 1835 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2021, 09:17:32 AM »

... at approximately 40 seconds into the video, Sen. Murphy inaccurately described Gorsuch as an "originalist" and then gave an utterly ridiculous description of what originalists do when they interpret the Constitution. I shouldn't have to explain how stupid of a comment that was.

I agree that Gorsuch isn't an originalist, but he's indisputably conservative in orientation and aligns with them a bit too often for comfort. "Originalism" is at any rate a nakedly partisan, opportunistic, and inconsistent philosophy once you strip away the veneer of preserving a certain conception of how documents should be interpreted, and while Murphy's comments were quite hyperbolic the spirit isn't too far off the mark in all honesty.

Sen. Murphy could not think about the possibility that Trump is simply suspicious about the risks of COVID spreading. According to Murphy, Trump completely agrees with Dr. Fauci about how easily COVID is spread and Trump wants COVID to be spread so that his own supporters will die.

This essentially concedes that Trump was acting against the scientific consensus and putting people at risk, but you're brushing that off over semantics.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2021, 05:43:48 AM »

... at approximately 40 seconds into the video, Sen. Murphy inaccurately described Gorsuch as an "originalist" and then gave an utterly ridiculous description of what originalists do when they interpret the Constitution. I shouldn't have to explain how stupid of a comment that was.

I agree that Gorsuch isn't an originalist, but he's indisputably conservative in orientation and aligns with them a bit too often for comfort. "Originalism" is at any rate a nakedly partisan, opportunistic, and inconsistent philosophy once you strip away the veneer of preserving a certain conception of how documents should be interpreted, and while Murphy's comments were quite hyperbolic the spirit isn't too far off the mark in all honesty.

"Inconsistent": I'll grant you that, but so is everybody else's judicial philosophy. "Partisan, opportunistic," "veneer": you're as bad at not knowing what you're talking about as Sen. Murphy.

Sen. Murphy could not think about the possibility that Trump is simply suspicious about the risks of COVID spreading. According to Murphy, Trump completely agrees with Dr. Fauci about how easily COVID is spread and Trump wants COVID to be spread so that his own supporters will die.

This essentially concedes that Trump was acting against the scientific consensus and putting people at risk, but you're brushing that off over semantics.
Semantics?
Okay, I'll admit that maybe I took Sen. Murphy too literally. Maybe I should assume that he didn't mean precisely what he said. After all, he's a politician and a lawmaker. As such, I believe that I should interpret Sen. Murphy by what he intended to say rather than what he literally said. Gee, that sounds like the judicial philosophy of original intent.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2021, 10:19:06 AM »

Ted Cruz whom complained like a Dem against Trump but he has been in his corner ever since then and Carly Firing has detached herself from Trump
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2021, 09:32:36 PM »

Murkowski or Collins
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2021, 06:48:26 PM »

No one should choose either of the two, Republicans because most Democrats are worse and Democrats because there are far, far worse Republicans (Tuberville, Marshall, Hagerty, Lummis, Johnson, Cruz, Hawley and McConnell immediately come to mind).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies